Lasik in Bangkok, clinic and Dr recommendations please

rnalswls2

2 hours ago, Phulublub said:

An alternative to LASIK (which is not permanent) may be Supersight - replacement of your lenses with artificial.  This is exactly the same clinical procedure as used to treat cataracts, with the vital addition that the new lenses flex and correct vision.  Doctor T is a leading world expert in the procedure - his name came up in multiple searches when I was researching corrective surgery five years ago.  The change is fantastic and I would wholeheartedly recommend him.  He will give an initial examination, and will not proceed if he considers you are  not suitable.

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/healthcare-services/lasik-and-supersight-surgery-center-en.html

PH

What was the recovery period and process for Supersight?  Also, any waiting period for getting the correct lenses?  Is this permanent change (e.g. lenses lasting lifetime)?  And what was the cost involved for the procedure?  I read the provided link and the correction seem to cover both near and far sighted issues?  I got PRK done around Y2K and it's been great for far-sighted correction but now I'm nearing 60 and I think I'm basically blind for nearsightedness.  

11 hours ago, Paulaew said:

I would recommend Rutnin Eye Hospital on Asoke. I didn't have Lasik there (I had Lasik in the US about 20 years ago), but they have some of the top ophthalmologists in Thailand and all the latest technologies. I see an ophthalmologist there for glaucoma and I've been impressed by the thoroughness of the diagnostics and the expertise of the doctors. They don't seem particularly expensive for the quality of the care, either.

They only do eyes, and they treat them while you wait ????

Paul Laew

Agree with recommendation for Rutnin. I wore glasses from 5th grade on, high index bifocals. In 2017 I had both natural lens replaced with prescription lens placed in my eyes. I now use only reading/computer glasses. No more glasses first thing on in the morning, last thing off at night.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Agree with recommendation for Rutnin. I wore glasses from 5th grade on, high index bifocals. In 2017 I had both natural lens replaced with prescription lens placed in my eyes. I now use only reading/computer glasses. No more glasses first thing on in the morning, last thing off at night.

Rutin get my vote too. Did cataract surgery and lasik at the same time. Top notch doctors and instruments. Did mono vision lasik and I don't need reading glass. 

• Like 2

I wore glasses and then contact lenses for 32 years.  I had been refused laser surgery twice because my prescription was too high and then 3 different friends told me about Rutnin eye hospital in Bangkok where they had all had Intra Ocular Lens Transplants and were all very happy.  I took their advice, made enquiries and had the transplants 5 years ago, best thing i've ever done, no glasses or lenses since then. Simple painless procedures carried out by a Thai lady surgeon called Dr. Nisa (i may be wrong about the spelling).

This is by far superior to any laser treatment.

14 hours ago, HidyHo said:

What was the recovery period and process for Supersight?  Also, any waiting period for getting the correct lenses?  Is this permanent change (e.g. lenses lasting lifetime)?  And what was the cost involved for the procedure?  I read the provided link and the correction seem to cover both near and far sighted issues?  I got PRK done around Y2K and it's been great for far-sighted correction but now I'm nearing 60 and I think I'm basically blind for nearsightedness.  

Recovery period varies, but generally full vision in about three weeks (prior to that avoiding bright lights and a certain amount fo "halo" effect).  Process is an afternoon surgery (remive your lenses, replace with new) and overnight under observation.  Process is permanent, with additional benefit of never having possibility of cataracts later in life.  Waiting period for me was (I think!) three weeks after initial consultation and decison.  Lenses are made in Switzerland, so covid may delay this - conversely was some time ago so timescale may have changed up or down in any case.  Cost was (and I believe still is) THB 230,000 - though at the time the cost of the initial consultation was deducted if one went ahead and I hear that is no longer the case.

PH

• Like 1

I would beg you from the bottom of my heart NOT to have Lasik or any other "single vision" (fixed focus) corrective surgery if you are 60 years old or in fact anywhere over 45 and have sufficient money.  It may limit your future options for truly corrective surgery.

The cataract in one of my eyes developed over only two weeks into clinical blindness and the other was on the way.  I had the "Prelex" or "Supersight" surgery where they implant a new lens and now have 20/20 vision in both eyes, plus I do not need reading glasses any more.  I was also astigmatic and that was sorted out with toroidal lenses and something called 'Limbal relaxing'.  The IOLs (Intra Ocular Lenses) are of the tri-focal type and allow me to focus at distances from about 5 cm to infinity.  One eye was operated on and the other two weeks' later.  It did take about a month for everything to settle down because of the astigmatism corrections but now it is gobsmackingly wonderful.  In addition, I can see brilliant colours again.

I'll leave you to search Wikipedia and Google to get some medical and detailed answers.  I had to have glasses from about age 8 until last year at age 71.  It is so nice to be free of spectacles at last.  If I had known that they could have done these particular operations years ago, I would have had it done.  I could have avoided getting the cataracts as well.  I always felt any single vision correcting surgery would be wrong for me and ran the other way.

Like everything medical, there are downsides.  The operations did cost me ฿250,000 and they were suitably terrifying but pain free, and only took 20 minutes per eye under local anaesthetic.  Most health insurance excludes cataract surgery costs and no cover at all is provided after the age of 70 on all the policies I have examined.  I now see a kind of halo around certain coloured point lights at night but you soon get used to that.  Most can see straight away after the operations but as my prescription was complex, my vision was not so good at the start but then improved daily.

This being Thailand, it is "up to you" but I hope that a consultant will steer you down the right road.  My operation was done in Chiang Mai at a hospital recommended by the local Grandmas who live here in Lamphun.  I now know why you don't see Grandpas up here wearing glasses any more!

3 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

I would beg you from the bottom of my heart NOT to have Lasik or any other "single vision" (fixed focus) corrective surgery if you are 60 years old or in fact anywhere over 45 and have sufficient money.  It may limit your future options for truly corrective surgery.

The cataract in one of my eyes developed over only two weeks into clinical blindness and the other was on the way.  I had the "Prelex" or "Supersight" surgery where they implant a new lens and now have 20/20 vision in both eyes, plus I do not need reading glasses any more.  I was also astigmatic and that was sorted out with toroidal lenses and something called 'Limbal relaxing'.  The IOLs (Intra Ocular Lenses) are of the tri-focal type and allow me to focus at distances from about 5 cm to infinity.  One eye was operated on and the other two weeks' later.  It did take about a month for everything to settle down because of the astigmatism corrections but now it is gobsmackingly wonderful.  In addition, I can see brilliant colours again.

I'll leave you to search Wikipedia and Google to get some medical and detailed answers.  I had to have glasses from about age 8 until last year at age 71.  It is so nice to be free of spectacles at last.  If I had known that they could have done these particular operations years ago, I would have had it done.  I could have avoided getting the cataracts as well.  I always felt any single vision correcting surgery would be wrong for me and ran the other way.

Like everything medical, there are downsides.  The operations did cost me ฿250,000 and they were suitably terrifying but pain free, and only took 20 minutes per eye under local anaesthetic.  Most health insurance excludes cataract surgery costs and no cover at all is provided after the age of 70 on all the policies I have examined.  I now see a kind of halo around certain coloured point lights at night but you soon get used to that.  Most can see straight away after the operations but as my prescription was complex, my vision was not so good at the start but then improved daily.

This being Thailand, it is "up to you" but I hope that a consultant will steer you down the right road.  My operation was done in Chiang Mai at a hospital recommended by the local Grandmas who live here in Lamphun.  I now know why you don't see Grandpas up here wearing glasses any more!

Thanks for your advice, I'm 35 so I might go for Lasik this time (let me see what Dr says) 

12 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

I wore glasses and then contact lenses for 32 years.  I had been refused laser surgery twice because my prescription was too high and then 3 different friends told me about Rutnin eye hospital in Bangkok where they had all had Intra Ocular Lens Transplants and were all very happy.  I took their advice, made enquiries and had the transplants 5 years ago, best thing i've ever done, no glasses or lenses since then. Simple painless procedures carried out by a Thai lady surgeon called Dr. Nisa (i may be wrong about the spelling).

This is by far superior to any laser treatment.

Do you remember what your prescriptions were? I worry if I'm refused as well since ny both eyes are pretty bad as well

5 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

Thanks for your advice, I'm 35 so I might go for Lasik this time (let me see what Dr says) 

Please research the permanent options....two of us here would thoroughly recommend this as a once in a lifetime correction.  After having LASIK once, you may limit future options - and LASIK is, I am told, only "good" for about 20 years.  Above all, do plenty of proper research yourself...including, perhaps, a couple of consultations, which will cost - but the time, effort and money will be extremely well spent if you eventually find the best solution for you.

PH

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Please research the permanent options....two of us here would thoroughly recommend this as a once in a lifetime correction.  After having LASIK once, you may limit future options - and LASIK is, I am told, only "good" for about 20 years.  Above all, do plenty of proper research yourself...including, perhaps, a couple of consultations, which will cost - but the time, effort and money will be extremely well spent if you eventually find the best solution for you.

PH

I had Lasik 21 years ago with a monovision correction and still see fine. I didn't need reading glasses until I was in my early 60's. But now I face the eventual need for cataract surgery in the years ahead. I agree completely that the intra-ocular lense replacement would be an ideal solution. Though it is a more complicated and expensive procedure, you'll avoid cataract surgery later. I wish this procedure was available when I had my Lasik done.

Paul Laew

A young friend of mine (mid 30's farang female) went to TRSC a few months back. She was very impressed with the entire process and the results.

I went to TRSC (https://en.trsclasik.com/). It’s near Sala Daeng. I got the newest procedure called RELEX - it’s the most precise and least invasive, blade-less. The total cost came out to just about $4000 USD flat. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

Do you remember what your prescriptions were? I worry if I'm refused as well since ny both eyes are pretty bad as well

Well, yes - you can be refused IOLs if your prescription is out of the range for the accommodating lenses but you can fall back to fixed IOLs as their range is wider.  Retinal damage, diabetes and various other conditions can also be a reason for refusal.  In the UK the NHS only pays to fit the single vision type and then gives you reading glasses when you have cataracts.  The NHS also does its best to hide the information that they only fit single vision lenses.  Personally, I find that a disgusting way to save money but then I was able to buy a better outcome.

As with everything, there is a limit depending on your prescription but improvements to what is now 20 year old technology are being made every day so do not give up hope.  The progress is being made not only because of the huge money to be made from the operation but also the excellent outcome rate for the operation.  It sells itself too as word spreads of the benefits.  If you have the operation done in your mid 40's then you cannot develop cataracts plus your eyesight then becomes 20/20 and may be even better.  This is why it is called 'Supersight'.

I advise seeking information from everywhere you can plus from more than one consultant, as they can get "tied" to one lens manufacturer depending on discounts and their desire to try newer treatments.  I don't know who made my IOLs and was very wary but as I said personal recommendations about the results from the Consultant I saw by the Grandmas I met convinced me to follow his advice.  I have not been disappointed.

To get back to your original request, I always photograph all documents in Thailand as soon as they are put into my hands for any reason.  This has been beneficial to me in many ways.  Below is a cropped photo of my card from the Optician.  You can see the left eye deteriorating plus I stopped having the variable focus lenses in my glasses as they no longer worked.  It wasn't until the cataract became vision obscuring over a few days and I saw a Consultant that I knew what was going on and realised that I had been stupid.

I am still unhappy that the Optician kept denying that I had cataracts but then they wouldn't have been able to sell me glasses if they had told me earlier!  The Consultant told me that advice previously was to wait until the cataracts had 'seasoned'.  Nowadays, existing lens removal by the 'phaco emulsifier' method now used is much easier the earlier it is done plus it has a better outcome.  You are advised never to wait nowadays.

BV-Card-Crop.jpg

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

A young friend of mine (mid 30's farang female) went to TRSC a few months back. She was very impressed with the entire process and the results.

I went to TRSC (https://en.trsclasik.com/). It’s near Sala Daeng. I got the newest procedure called RELEX - it’s the most precise and least invasive, blade-less. The total cost came out to just about $4000 USD flat. 

+1 for TRSC, the best place in Thailand for any sort of refractive surgery.

They offer more than one technique and do a thorough assessment to determine what is best for a particular individual.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

+1 for TRSC, the best place in Thailand for any sort of refractive surgery.

They offer more than one technique and do a thorough assessment to determine what is best for a particular individual.

Would they be honest to tell me if I'm not suitable for any type of surgeries?

3 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

Would they be honest to tell me if I'm not suitable for any type of surgeries?

Absolutely.

They do a very good job of explaining risks, pros/cons and what you, specifically, can expect from surgery.