Grass - What type are they selling?

STD Warehouse

They sell per SQM a grass they call "yar boon", this seems to be the only grass they sell here in Thailand (apart from elephant grass which i dont consider a grass really), and they also don't seem to sell grass seed here either, just the pre grown SQM pieces of "yar boon", im going to cover about a 300 SQM area.

But what grass variety is this? does anyone know?

All the garden shops ive asked just say the thai name and cant give me the actual specific grass variety it is, but it all seems the same, they are all selling the same varity this so-called "yar boon". So what is this mystery grass?

Its important since when I buy other products like pre-emergents for killing the weeds, I must get the correct one for the specific grass type or it wil end up not only killing the weeds but the grass as well.

There are two grass variety's normally sold as sod in Thailand. Malaysian broad leaf and "Yeepoon" (Japanese.) There are a couple of sellers in Chatuchak market in Bangkok who sell cans of Bermuda seed which is expensive. I would not recommend growing from seed in Thailand as the results will be hit or miss i.e a lot of preparation correctly done. That is the reason seed is not common in Thailand. You need to look at the conditions before planting to dictate the correct grass. I grew a Paspalum Seashore lawn from seed which was a difficult endeavor but resulted in a fine lawn.

6 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

There are two grass variety's normally sold as sod in Thailand. Malaysian broad leaf and "Yeepoon" (Japanese.) There are a couple of sellers in Chatuchak market in Bangkok who sell cans of Bermuda seed which is expensive. I would not recommend growing from seed in Thailand as the results will be hit or miss i.e a lot of preparation correctly done. That is the reason seed is not common in Thailand. You need to look at the conditions before planting to dictate the correct grass. I grew a Paspalum Seashore lawn from seed which was a difficult endeavor but resulted in a fine lawn.

Thanks

but what actually is "yeepoon"? is that Indian Bluegrass or something else?

17 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

but what actually is "yeepoon"?

Translated it is 'Japanese'.

How I grew my grass was to overlay my land with top soil from the rice fields. Let things grow and just keep mowing. The weeds will eventually die back and the grasses will take over. This is just a small part of our garden.

DSC00107.thumb.JPG.e4122682a28178d79fe3fb82c9914449.JPG

Edited by IvorBiggun2

Just to add... The Malay grass is a broader leaf and does better in shade.  The Japanese grass looks nicer, IMO, and likes sun and water.  It tends to die out if too much shade.

Unless you already have a loam soil, you will want to put down a few cm of sand before you lay the sod and it won't take long before you need to mow a beautiful lawn.

but i still dont know what grass it actually is? If i put the wrong pre emergent down i might actaully kill it. I can see no other way but to order bermuda grass seed from the US via Amazon, then i know what grass i actually have. Also were we live the "Japanese" grass is 50 baht SQM but the bermuda from seed is only 19 baht SQM even after shipping.

44 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

but i still dont know what grass it actually is? If i put the wrong pre emergent down i might actaully kill it. I can see no other way but to order bermuda grass seed from the US via Amazon, then i know what grass i actually have. Also were we live the "Japanese" grass is 50 baht SQM but the bermuda from seed is only 19 baht SQM even after shipping.

Other than sand, we didn't put anything down for the Japanese grass.  
I think you need a permit to bring grass seed into Thailand so please check into that.  I suggest you don't though.  Growing grass from seed isn't easy.