Schengen Visa - Type C

Hello,

I just came back from the Italian Consulate in Sydney where I saw for the last time a $100 note bill (60EUR). I had to pay that amount for a 30 days multi entry Schengen visa.

Plus...I had a little 'fight' with the lady that is ruling the visa-section because she didn't want to issue any visa to my gf. Anyway, we settle down...and she should get a 30days multi entry...

The problem is that I will have to apply again for another one soon...I'm wondering if there are more civilised countries that are issuing long-term visas to de-facto/in-law couples. The Italians aren't and do not want to issue long term visas (e.g. 1 year) because:

'it is in our power, we can...and you know issuing a visa it is a really important matter' (I couldn't answer in a polite way when the lady said this...so I just bit my tongue)

Having to pay 60EUR each time...well...I can think on better ways to spend that money...

any suggestions?

thanks

g.

I presume you are Australian. If you are I don't think you need a visa for any of the EU countries for the first 3 month. Of course it's a different story for your GF.

Edited by ausiekid

I presume you are Australian. If you are I don't think you need a visa for any of the EU countries for the first 3 month. Of course it's a different story for your GF.

I'm Italian, my Gf is Thai and we live in Sydney.

We are going to the UK and she has a visa as EEA family member (in-law).

We are also planning a series of short trips in EU (Rome, Milan, Paris and Amsterdam) starting the end of August. I'm just wondering if there was a way to get a year (or two) tourist visa for my gf. The Italians don't want to give her a long visa because we are not married (no matter if she has a visa valid until 01 march 08 for the UK). So...I was wondering if there was any other way to save money for our next trip...

Thanks

g.

Edited by giruz

Hi Giruz, no European country will grant a longer Visa. Besides that UK is a member of EEC but not a Shengen country, therefor even if you were able to get a valid Visa your GF would still have to apply fo a UK Visa. GF is NOT a recognised legal status in Europe i'm sure you are aware of this. the only option to get a longer Visa is to be living in a European country and garantee all responsibility for the appliant, this is something that has to be done through the Embassys. Even this type of Visa would only grant 3 months , hope it works out ,

harold

I'm Italian, my Gf is Thai and we live in Sydney.

We are going to the UK and she has a visa as EEA family member (in-law).

We are also planning a series of short trips in EU (Rome, Milan, Paris and Amsterdam) starting the end of August. I'm just wondering if there was a way to get a year (or two) tourist visa for my gf. The Italians don't want to give her a long visa because we are not married (no matter if she has a visa valid until 01 march 08 for the UK). So...I was wondering if there was any other way to save money for our next trip...

Thanks

g.

G.,

It may be that a lot of the Italian embassy's reticence to grant your partner a visa was because, although she has a family permit for the UK, she has not used it as yet. She may get a longer term Schengen visa once she has established herself in the UK and she has a residence card.

Scouse.

Hi Giruz, no European country will grant a longer Visa. Besides that UK is a member of EEC but not a Shengen country, therefor even if you were able to get a valid Visa your GF would still have to apply fo a UK Visa. GF is NOT a recognised legal status in Europe i'm sure you are aware of this. the only option to get a longer Visa is to be living in a European country and garantee all responsibility for the appliant, this is something that has to be done through the Embassys. Even this type of Visa would only grant 3 months , hope it works out ,

harold

As I mentioned in the two posts you quoted...my gf HAS a family permit for UK. Uk DOES recognise inlaw/defacto relationships.

Anyway, I remember I met once a South African girl that had a Schengen visa valid for 18 months (she couldn't spend more than 90 out 180 days in)...anyway...

she was in uk on a working visa and she wasn't married (because she is lesbian!)

so..I'm sure those visa exists...I dunno where...

(I think the girl was South African..but I'm not 100% sure)

g

Edited by giruz

Anyway, I remember I met once a South African girl that had a Schengen visa valid for 18 months (she couldn't spend more than 90 out 180 days in)...anyway...

she was in uk on a working visa and she wasn't married (because she is lesbian!)

Short stay multi entry type C Schengen visas can be issued with validity periods ranging from 3 months to 5 years. What you get depends on what you present to the embassy as supporting evidence regarding why you want it and what you want to do, it shouldn't matter where you apply.

Short stay multi entry type C Schengen visas can be issued with validity periods ranging from 3 months to 5 years. What you get depends on what you present to the embassy as supporting evidence regarding why you want it and what you want to do, it shouldn't matter where you apply.

WOAHHH! Mission accomplished!

Ok..I have to say that sometime things work even at Italian Consulates. We were told that she had to expect a 30days visa...instead she got a 6month with 30-days max stay!

That more than we wanted! (I guess that they played the 'bad cop' role during the interview)

We asked for a visa that was valid until x-mas so to avoid to pay another time (we will spend x-mas with my family in Italy!). We were told we couldn't get it....and...instead we got a visa that is valid until few days before her British visa expires! :-)

Thanks Italian Consulate

g.

Edited by giruz