Thai man beats pensioner to death in Roi-Et after old man accused him of stealing

webfact

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Suwannaphum police in Roi-Et in Thailand's north eastern region were called to a hospital where Hong Sudadech, 70, was fighting for his life.

He'd been stabbed under the armpit and in the shoulder and had been battered over the head. 

He lost the fight to survive, reported Thai Rath yesterday.

Police soon studied CCTV and saw that a man on a motorcycle had been petting a dog outside the old man's house. 

It was Akaradech, 21. 

It emerged that the young man got enraged after the pensioner accused him of stealing from his house. 

The older man had followed the younger one to some waste ground where they argued. People heard this but did not intervene. 

Akradech admitted getting a club and using a kitchen knife he had with him to attack Hong.

He was charged with murder and weapons offences and detained. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-18

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 7

Sounds like the poor Old Fella was correct. Hopefully his sacrifice will prevent this young waster from doing other things like reproducing, although I'm guessing he'll not get much of a chance in the hoosegow.

Can't say as I've ever had a reason to ride around as a 21-year old carrying a kitchen knife...

• Like 2

Not excusing the murderer in any sense of the word, but...

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The older man had followed the younger one to some waste ground where they argued.

When will people learn that confrontation like this is never a good choice. You can certainly stand your ground, but so many people approach this in the wrong way. I have had disagreements with Thai people on occasion, but it was always resolved peacefully because it was done in a proper way.

31 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

How many times have we been told, by some posters, that Thais are non confrontational? BS

Thai people dislike confrontation. But when you push someone's back against the wall, look out - fang jai can be dangerous.

1 minute ago, swm59nj said:

If you have a verbal disagreement with someone , you don’t settle it with violence.

I agree. I like to put my opinion over when siht happens but once I've done that I walk away and calm down. But here in Thailand there seems to be this thing about 'saving face'. So Thais are more likely to physically attack you if you shout at them. The statistics for murder shows that.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, timendres said:

Murder rates do not represent confrontation

I believe it to be so. Population of UK and Thailand is approximately the same but the murder rate in Thailand is about 3 times more. Murder is a confrontational act. 

56 minutes ago, timendres said:

The issue with Thailand is that confrontation is avoided

No it isn't. Thais will not stand and have a fist fight in the street. What they tend to do is go their separate ways, get drunk, and then go back tooled up to sort out their differences resulting in deaths caused by the booze and their losing of face. They are basically cowards until they've had a drink.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Road Warrior said:
7 hours ago, steven100 said:

5 years he'll be out .....   and likely to reoffend. 

try 2 yrs  -- will offend sure --.a ANIMAL  

What makes you guys think that prison sentencing is light here?

I was doing BKK prison visiting for a few years in the 90s---(I had a friend incarcerated) & there were many who would certainly die in there--

Unless your well connected--the sentence for murder is min 15--to--20 years, more then most western countries.

A fight (not the one in the article -he has been charged with murder) usually comes under Manslaughter-- which is min 3--15 years.

That's tougher then in Oz , I have seen reported bar room fights there where the guy's have died and sentence has been lighter then that.

If it was so easy to get out----these places wouldn't be bursting at the seams.....which they certainly are.

Not everyone has a Dad who owns RedBull

Chapter 1: Offence Causing Death

Section 288. Murder

Whoever, murdering the other person, shall be imprisoned by death or imprisoned as from fifteen years to twenty years..

Section 290. Manslaughter

Whoever, causes death to the other person by inflicting injury upon the body of such person without intent to cause death, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The older man had followed the younger one to some waste ground where they argued.

2 hours ago, timendres said:

The issue with Thailand is that confrontation is avoided,

So why did the 70 year old follow the 21 year old if Thais are not confrontational?

Edited by IvorBiggun2

22 minutes ago, Paul Kernell said:

What is wrong with Thai men? Loss of face! Mental age of a 10 year old. Why was he carrying a kitchen knife?

Many reasons why he had a kitchen knife. He could have been a 'khamoy? The young guy was suspected of being a thief.

By some estimates the underground economy of drugs, gambling, prostitution, protection and human trafficking is a third of the size of the legitimate economy. Northeast Thailand has a long tradition of gangsters and thugs enforcing the will of corrupt politicians an businessmen. Thieves re known as “khamoys”. One favorite technique is entering a bus from the rear door with a knife or gun, rabbing wllaets, purses, watches and gold chains and exiting through the front door to mke a getwaya on a friend’s motorcycle.

18 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

What makes you guys think that prison sentencing is light here?

I was doing BKK prison visiting for a few years in the 90s---(I had a friend incarcerated) & there were many who would certainly die in there--

Unless your well connected--the sentence for murder is min 15--to--20 years, more then most western countries.

A fight (not the one in the article -he has been charged with murder) usually comes under Manslaughter-- which is min 3--15 years.

That's tougher then in Oz , I have seen reported bar room fights there where the guy's have died and sentence has been lighter then that.

If it was so easy to get out----these places wouldn't be bursting at the seams.....which they certainly are.

Not everyone has a Dad who owns RedBull

Chapter 1: Offence Causing Death

Section 288. Murder

Whoever, murdering the other person, shall be imprisoned by death or imprisoned as from fifteen years to twenty years..

Section 290. Manslaughter

Whoever, causes death to the other person by inflicting injury upon the body of such person without intent to cause death, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years.

Perhaps the fact he used a club and a knife, they are of the opinion he did intend to cause death and not only harm, with the death being intentional and not incidental to the attack

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:22 AM, BangkokReady said:

Such a frequent sequence of events in Thailand.  I wonder why nobody ever seems to ask "why does this keep happening and how can we stop it?"  I guess the mai bpen rai/fatalistic/non-enquiring attitude...

And what not just deck the old guy and walk away?

Because they only have two settings on the dial........0 and 11........that's why.

That should be made a bit clearer in the TAT ads and the guidebooks.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1