Thai Social Security: continuation of coverage

I am a foreigner living in Thailand and have paid into Thai Social Security for several years, but lost my job six weeks ago. Now I would like to continue my Social Security medical insurance by paying for it myself.

Section 39 of the Thai Social Security Act states that if you have paid into the system for at least a year, you are eligible to continue your Social Security medical coverage by paying for it yourself. But when I asked about this at my nearest Social Security office, the official told me that only foreigners with a pink Thai ID card and a tabien baan (i.e. house registration book) are eligible. Is the official right about this restriction?

@OneMoreFarang: Thank you for the link.

Alas, I’m still not clear on whether continuing my coverage under Section 39 requires me to have a pink ID card and a tabien baan. The photos below are of a document that the official gave me this morning. He insisted that it applies to foreigners, too.

CB6D2CB5-A4FA-4708-A010-D9AD8245A847.jpeg

FBB4E8BA-D2F8-4F92-8262-2BDEDCE54D57.jpeg

After two visits to my local SS Office, I received the following legal opinion to get answers to this very same question about Section 39.

“The officer we spoke to said there was basically a policy that the foreigner had to prove that they were domiciled in Thailand in order to register under Section 39 or 40.  The idea being basically that they want some proof that you intend to reside here. That's why they asked for things like a marriage certificate or title deed or entry in a yellow book. “

A few pointers were provided, which may or may not work, in absence of other documentation.

1. Show them a copy of the purchase sale agreement for your condo.

2. Make a sworn affidavit at the US Embassy confirming that your domicile is here in Thailand and that you intend to reside here indefinitely.

3. Show them a copy of your lease agreement for your current residence.

4. Bring your wife or partner with you and/or have her also make a sworn statement that you have been together for X years and that you intend to reside together in Thailand indefinitely.

5. Have a long-term visa or permission to stay long-term.

The SS officers that I dealt with were very courteous and polite during both of my visits. (I had a translator before I got this opinion, but went alone afterwards.)

An infographic on SS regulation, in English, is attached. Hope this helps.

Social Security infographic.pdf