Online Tax Filing Already Accepted

I did my taxes online using TurboTax Free File about a week ago.

At that time, the IRS said they will open tax filing on Jan 31st, but then a short time later changed it to Jan 24th however, I got an email from TurboTax today saying that the IRS accepted my return. Hopefully I will get my refund fast as well.

• Thanks 1

I am a professional tax preparer and I tried to e-file a return yesterday without success and received a message the IRS is not accepting returns yet.

I wonder if it only passed the Turbo Tax screening and they are holding onto it until the IRS opens up their e-filing systems.

10 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I wonder if it only passed the Turbo Tax screening and they are holding onto it until the IRS opens up their e-filing systems.

This is the way it worked last year.

Some tax prep software accepts and holds returns efiled. And then forwards them to the IRS when the IRS opens for business.

Mark your calendars! The IRS will start processing tax returns on Monday, January 24, 2022. But don’t wait. File today with TurboTax, and be first in line for your tax refund!

TurboTax is already accepting tax returns and will securely hold them for transmission to the IRS and States once they begin accepting e-file. Whether you want to do your taxes yourself, get help along the way, or just fully hand over your taxes to a tax expert, TurboTax is open and ready to help you get your biggest refund.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/irs-announces-e-file-open-day-be-the-first-in-line-for-your-tax-refund-15822/

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

I am a professional tax preparer and I tried to e-file a return yesterday without success and received a message the IRS is not accepting returns yet.

I went to the IRS site and the Where's My Refund tab. I entered my information and it does say that my return was accepted with the correct refund amount listed. I am of course still waiting for the refund to be approved.

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This is the way it worked last year.

Some tax prep software accepts and holds returns efiled. And then forwards them to the IRS when the IRS opens for business.

Mark your calendars! The IRS will start processing tax returns on Monday, January 24, 2022. But don’t wait. File today with TurboTax, and be first in line for your tax refund!

TurboTax is already accepting tax returns and will securely hold them for transmission to the IRS and States once they begin accepting e-file. Whether you want to do your taxes yourself, get help along the way, or just fully hand over your taxes to a tax expert, TurboTax is open and ready to help you get your biggest refund.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/irs-announces-e-file-open-day-be-the-first-in-line-for-your-tax-refund-15822/

I stated that in my OP, but read my comment above. The IRS where's my refund does show that my return was accepted with this year's refund amount and of course still waiting for the refund to be approved.

3 hours ago, racyrick said:

I went to the IRS site and the Where's My Refund tab. I entered my information and it does say that my return was accepted with the correct refund amount listed. I am of course still waiting for the refund to be approved.

Interesting, good for you.  I wonder if because it was a free service.

My software is a professional software but from the same company that distributes Turbo Tax, "Intuit."

Very strange.

The fact that the IRS may have started accepting efilings a few days ahead of their previously stated start date should be good news I think?

Given the extremely dire predictions being made about a lack of funds, equipment, personnel ahead of this season's exercise, they may want to get a headstart?

I wish I were ready to file, I guess I could but waiting on one 1099 for a complex holding. I could guess, but it is said to be due today.

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The fact that the IRS may have started accepting efilings a few days ahead of their previously stated start date should be good news I think?

Given the extremely dire predictions being made about a lack of funds, equipment, personnel ahead of this season's exercise, they may want to get a headstart?

I wish I were ready to file, I guess I could but waiting on one 1099 for a complex holding. I could guess, but it is said to be due today.

Strange for sure. My guess is that they accepted some returns to see if their are any bugs in the new software.

That's the reason they used for pushing up the filing from Jan. 31st to Jan. 24th.

9 minutes ago, taxout said:

I'm confused. I thought Intuit announced that it was discontinuing Turbotax free file:

I realize the OP mentioned 

On 1/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, racyrick said:

TurboTax Free File

but I'm using the TurboTax Basic, $40 ($42.50 with sales tax).

I like it, much better than TaxAct, IMO, which I used exclusively for quite a few years prior to this year. Packaging and pricing much clearer.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

18 hours ago, taxout said:

I mentioned this because I got an email in December from Turbotax telling me they were stopping the free file option.

Turbotax withdrew from the IRS free file program but, if you go to their website, they offer a free file and it must be done before Feb 15th.

• Like 1

I've seen many smart people here giving good answers so maybe I also get help?
My income, including interest and foreign pesion, is less than general $ 14500 deduction.
I have SSA pension which is 100% tax free.
Do I still need to file Federal tax return?
I've asked around and got many different answers.
I want to make my life simple. I already reduced my total foreign bank assets below 10k/yr. No more Fbar reporting.
Thank you!

47 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I've seen many smart people here giving good answers so maybe I also get help?
My income, including interest and foreign pesion, is less than general $ 14500 deduction.
I have SSA pension which is 100% tax free.
I've asked around and got many different answers.
I want to make my life simple. I already reduced my total foreign bank assets below 10k/yr. No more Fbar reporting.
Thank you!

This is for the USA members:

You should if you want to remain in the system for any stimulus funds that may be approved.

Here is a link showing the minimum wages for filing or now.

LINK

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

No simple answer without understanding your entire situation.

I think most would recommend that you calculate your potential tax liability, before making a decision. 

The mention of 

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

foreign pesion

raises a red flag.

did you file last year?

do you have any tax withheld (SSA, other)?

do you have any potential estate planning issues in the U.S.?

did you receive all of your stimulus checks/payments, including stim #3 ($1,400)?

Personally I'd always file. It's easy, simply, free, takes minutes.

I'm not familiar with the free filing versions of software out there, but after watching the NFL Playoffs, I've certainly seen more than my share of Intuit TurboTax ads, They are an official sponsor for the playoffs, wild-card, divisional and conference championships. If only TrueVisions blocked these ads.

They've been pushing a "free" version hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtprE9dlRY

Said to have another Superbowl ad this year too.

10 hours ago, silverhawk_usa said:

Already received confirmation that my application has been accepted by the IRS.

Yeah, this is nearly instantaneous. I didn't check that closely but it seemed like just a few minutes.

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

We have received your tax return and it is being processed.

If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.

Please check here or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go, to check on your refund status.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:18 AM, mtls2005 said:

I'm not familiar with the free filing versions of software out there, but after watching the NFL Playoffs, I've certainly seen more than my share of Intuit TurboTax ads, They are an official sponsor for the playoffs, wild-card, divisional and conference championships. If only TrueVisions blocked these ads.

They've been pushing a "free" version hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVtprE9dlRY

Said to have another Superbowl ad this year too.

In the last two months have 12 emails for them - and no easy way to opt out as have to fill out a full bio page of information they do not need and I do not want to give them even after secure access to web site.  I tried to use last year and their in house system rejected for online file - this after paying so only option was print/mail (which with Covid no mail service was not an option).  Decided to use OLT (free) and had no problems (although they get poor reviews - perhaps not paying enough) and exactly same 1040 as Turbo Tax.  Used OLT again this year with no issues.  Previously used TaxAct but last year could not log in with foreign address or phone number early January (believe later corrected).  

Edited by lopburi3

On 1/28/2022 at 7:32 AM, mtls2005 said:

Personally I'd always file. It's easy, simply, free, takes minutes.

Not for my wife. If I croaked, she wouldn't have the foggiest of how to do taxes, even with software. And being computer challenged, she'd have problems downloading 1099's, as it seems we're not far off from all paper copies being history. And, if you check out the fees of tax preparers, like the one advertised on this forum, the cost is somewhere around $400, for a bare bones return.

No, even tho' you're supposed to file if your AGI is greater than your standard deduction -- meaning you have a 'taxable income' (TI) -- if you've overwithheld/paid estimated taxes in excess of tax liability, you have no tax libility -- and no reason (or requirement) to file -- unless you want the tax refund due, in which case you have three years to do such, with no fee for late filing.

But, I can set things up for the wife that has withholding cover all her tax liability, with a margin of $100 or so of over withholding. So, she can forget filing taxes -- and forget collecting all 1099 info and packaging it up to send to a $400 tax preparer in Bangkok (there are no longer tax preparers in Chiang Mai that I can discern, but if so, why would I want the wife to package up 1099's to drive to his office, to pay $400........) Just trade $100 of over withholding for the hassle of collecting tax data to present to a $400 preparer. Nice $300 profit, with less worry and hassle. And if an errant US nephew, with tax filing smarts, arrives on a later visit -- get him to file for the over withholding "loan" to Uncle Sam.

The IRS does mash the 1099 numbers to see if the withholding covers the taxable income (and they add any estimated taxes you may have paid). So, if all your tax data is covered by 1099's -- and you've taken enough withholding/estimated taxes, you won't get a tax return prepared by the IRS (yes, if their data shows under witholding not made up by estimated taxes, they'll send what they see as the tax return you should have filed. But, they give you time to modify their tax return, say, because you have a foreign tqx credit they, of course, would know nothing about).

But, for the situation for my wife, all income on her 1099's will have more than sufficient withholding; thus, no correspondence from the IRS.

Edited by JimGant

20 hours ago, JimGant said:

Not for my wife. If I croaked, she wouldn't have the foggiest of how to do taxes,

Yeah, not the situation I was responding to.

Maybe consider some estate planning, and transition to a tax preparer for after you croak?

Your "plan" seems massively flawed, but that'll be your wife's problem.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:36 AM, mtls2005 said:

Maybe consider some estate planning, and transition to a tax preparer for after you croak?

Actually, this is estate planning-- taking in the wife's abilities of filing taxes and obtaining 1099's online -- and the cost of hiring a tax preparer (as previously discussed).

With her income -- an Air Force survivior benefit, a social security payment, and required minimum distributions (RMD) of fixed income IRA's -- it's easy enough to tell her what number for withholding to provide for her W4s on the Air Force payment and Social Security -- and what percentage to withhold on the RMDs, to include a buffer to cover bank account and savings interest, including that in Thai banks. I've already discussed the savings of this method over hiring a tax preparer -- and the less hassle for the wife.

Anyway, admit it sounds bizarre. However, not originally my idea -- I learned of it from a retired CPA online association I belong to. Not for everyone, of course. But for wives with limited support fallback, and limited IT and tax skills -- this plan might be worth considering.

After checking many possibilities to simplify my life regarding tax filing and bank accounts I did this (maybe somebody gets ideas do the same?):

For next year I did this;

A. I switched all funds in foreign banks to 0 interest accounts. No income - no reporting. Rates are so low no big loss and I got enough to live rest of my life anyway.

B. I keep total foreign funds below 50k at the end of the year and max 75k any time of the year = No IRS reporting, just Fbar, which I found is easy to do. ( If I keep all accounts under 10K no Fbar but that's too little funds for me).

For 2021 I did this;

A week ago I went to local University to get "Free filing help" by tax law students. That was so scary experience I decided to learn and do my own taxes! They, well meaning students, were completely clueless regarding foreign tax things. The girl said "We haven't had any of this in school!" She was scared too so I said "lets forget this" and walked out.

Then I went to a local AARP tax seminar who also advertised for "FREE tax help". There were nobody to talk face-to-face. They wanted to take all papers and do filing and send report to me. I felt the seminar was more a sales pitch for "Tax Slayer" or something like that, who was behind it.

So, I googled, read a lot, compared many deals and ended to use "Free Tax USA" (URL is freetaxusa.com ) It was very easy to use and 100% free for Federal filing. I only did that since I haven't been in the US for 2 years.  Their State filing is only $ 19,95, if needed.

Now I wait and hope the best ????