Ruling Palang Pracharat party sacks Thammanat Prompao, 21 other dissident MPs

webfact

S__29548587.jpg

The ruling Palang Pracharat Party (PPRP) sacked its controversial secretary-general, Thammanat Prompao, and 21 other MPs loyal to him on Wednesday, further threatening the stability of the party formed just a year before the 2019 general elections and the formation of the subsequent government coalition.

The shocking decision came after a tense meeting of the party’s executive committee, held at the Five Provinces Bordering Forest Preservation Foundation, following an ultimatum submitted by Thammanat and his group demanding a ministerial post, adding that they would resign en masse if the demand was not met. The meeting was chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, the party leader.

It is widely believed that the group wanted the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment portfolio, a position currently held by Varawut Silpa-archa of the Chart Thai Pattana party.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/ruling-palang-pracharat-party-sacks-thammanat-prompao-21-other-dissident-mps/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-01-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

Same rationale as for the four boys party. The new law gives more weight to consistuencies vs party list. So politicians benefiting from a strong local presence become more powerful and therefore also become more demanding.... that's the way the cookie crumbles....

Thammanat and his group demanding a ministerial post, adding that they would resign en masse if the demand was not met. The meeting was chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, the party leader.

Now who exactly is Judas in this latest game for throne? 

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Convicted drug smugglers in a position to demand Govt Ministerial Posts? I don't understand.

Quite.

A complete humiliation for all concerned.

He should have been sacked when the facts of his previous conviction were made known.

Obviously, reflects poorly on him but also on the government who were presented the opportunity to make a decision of integrity and turned the other way…

Pathetic all round and a national embarrassment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Convicted drug smugglers in a position to demand Govt Ministerial Posts? I don't understand.

Sure but that conviction was almost 30 years ago and he served his sentence in Australia.  My guess would be, if he were to help remove the current regime, nobody on here would then really much care.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Sure but that conviction was almost 30 years ago and he served his sentence in Australia.  My guess would be, if he were to help remove the current regime, nobody on here would then really much care.

Would you let a convicted peadophile (who did his time in jail)babysit your kids?

Not comparible? I think it is,leaders of a country should have high morals.

I know every where in the world there are very bad politicians but they should all have a clean

slate in order to serve the public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

In a 'normal' democracy if MPs want to quit their party they either become 'Independants' or prompt a by election. Are we going to see a mini general election prompted by 21 MPs resigning? Or why not have a full election?

Not what happened yesterday in the U.K. 

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Would you let a convicted peadophile (who did his time in jail)babysit your kids?

Not comparible? I think it is,leaders of a country should have high morals.

I know every where in the world there are very bad politicians but they should all have a clean

slate in order to serve the public.

Moot point:

Thai ruling thwarts opposition bid to disqualify minister over drugs link

May 5, 2021

BANGKOK, May 5 (Reuters) - Thailand's Constitutional Court on Wednesday ruled that a prominent politician should keep his cabinet post, thwarting opposition moves to disqualify him over news reports he was jailed in Australia for drug trafficking in the 1990s.

"Although Thammanat received judgement, it was from a court in New South Wales, Australia ... but not a judgement from a Thai court and so is not prohibited from holding office based on constitution," it said in its decision.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thai-ruling-thwarts-opposition-bid-disqualify-minister-over-drugs-link-2021-05-05/

7 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Yes and he has lied about every aspect of his arrest and subsequent conviction. Hardly a person deserving any respect or 'second chance'.

So what if he removed the current regime? His own or one of which he was in partnership with would be just as corrupt, self serving and contemptuous of the Thai population.

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yes and he has lied about every aspect of his arrest and subsequent conviction. Hardly a person deserving any respect or 'second chance'.

So what if he removed the current regime? His own or one of which he was in partnership with would be just as corrupt, self serving and contemptuous of the Thai population.

Great -- So i guess the Thai people will have to wait for someone sufficiently morally pure and also capable of unseating the current government.

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

Great -- So i guess the Thai people will have to wait for someone sufficiently morally pure and also capable of unseating the current government.

That will be a long time as the current mob have barred any halfway suitable candidates.

5 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

That will be a long time as the current mob have barred any halfway suitable candidates.

So maybe the Thai people will have to settle for someone not so morally pure. At least from the purely legal, the Thai Constitutional Court refused to bar him as a cabinet member.

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

So maybe the Thai people will have to settle for someone not so morally pure. At least from the purely legal, the Thai Constitutional Court refused to bar him as a cabinet member.

Yeah, thoroughly depressing and yet another tragedy for the Thai people.

The sad truth isn they all need to go, every single Thai politician and political family.

I sometimes wonder if they all suddenly went and "normal" Thais could move into politics would it be a great new beginning? Or does the nature of Thai society need these ugly corrupt patriarchs? Are they typical or atypical of Thai culture?

27 minutes ago, Whale said:

The sad truth isn they all need to go, every single Thai politician and political family.

Sometimes we have to realise that this is the way it is here, and this is the country we've chosen to stay in.

It's never going to change unfortunately, as much as we wish it would. 

14 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Neither does any other law respecting person, that's unless you live in Thailand, are in politics and have the right connections.......