Jump to content

Motobike rental shop insured against all risks !


Farang two dot zero
 Share

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Farang two dot zero said:

By the way, if I have a Thai motorcycle license will I be well covered in the event of an accident?

Insurance policies have limits and deductions, know what you're signing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

all the rental companies in pattaya that i contacted told me that bike insurers won't offer cover for rental motorbikes / scooters - so the only cover that is available is the very very basic "government insurance" - if that's not enough - i suggest you don't rent ....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mai Peng used to offer a supplementary insurance. The normal coverage is simply the CTPL ,which covers you for very little, injury to 3rd party is about all. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most, it not all, bike rentals bear their own risks.  They try to recover money from the renter if there's damage.  If that doesn't work for you, don't rent.

 

Sorry, but that's how it is,

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet in Phuket there is a rental company that provides these motobikes at Axa, it's called https://ninascar.com Insurance (included in our rates) work with a maximum deductible of 20,000 THB and it's not state insurance so it's possible!

 

 

Edited by Farang two dot zero
Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

I am looking for a fully insured motorbike rental company in Pattaya or Jomtien.

This should sum it up for you, that said, whenever I used to come to Thailand for a holiday, now living here permanently I would make sure I had travel insurance which would cover me for rental bike hire, up to 125cc was the max that I could find, if you do find someone who says they will provide you with cover, I would want to see the policy and date of issue and expiry, no doubt it would be in Thai.

 

https://pattayarentacar.com/blog/the-truth-about-bike-insurance-in-thailand

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would make sure I had travel insurance which would cover me for rental bike hire, up to 125cc was the max that I could find

My travel insurance covers private life civil liability guaranteeing damage caused to others during the duration of the trip and stay !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, properperson said:

 

all the rental companies in pattaya that i contacted told me that bike insurers won't offer cover for rental motorbikes / scooters - so the only cover that is available is the very very basic "government insurance" - if that's not enough - i suggest you don't rent ....

I have encountered exactly the same issue.

 

While ‘Sandboxing’ in Phuket I rented motorcycles from two different companies. When enquiring about insurance cover, both had the basic Por-ror-bor insurance, but none had any insurance beyond that.

 

Upon asking why they didn’t have ‘full or 1st Class insurance’ (which I did have on my motorcycle in Bangkok) they responded that insurers will not cover ‘rental motorbikes’.

 

Thus: rental came with the risk that I have to cover the cost of repairs to any damage to the motorcycle. 

Thats just the risk of rental in Thailand - fortunately, both businesses were legitimate and there were no issues.

 

(Detailed photos were taken of the motorcycles before riding). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have always dealt with "Mai Pang" (translates as not expensive) motorbike rental in Jomtien Complex.  The nice lady there (Tik) and her daughters always find me a nice bike and I pay for 'their' extra insurance which covers replacement of the bike.

 

Then I teamed up with someone who lives here and bought a couple of old bikes that they lend out to other farang plus ensure that I've got one to ride when I'm in Jomtien.  If they crash one and it is unrepairable, then they promise to give us ฿15,000 but to date it's never happened.  Minor this and that, but generally OK.

 

If you're here for any length of time, you can always buy a personal accident policy fairly cheaply.  They usually double the cover when you have an accident involving a motorcycle, and I think that's a brilliant idea.  I've been here 20 years, spent a lot and never had an accident despite all the doom mongers, so I've wasted a lot of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

My travel insurance covers private life civil liability guaranteeing damage caused to others during the duration of the trip and stay !

but excludes liability in connection with use of motor vehicles ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

If you're here for any length of time, you can always buy a personal accident policy fairly cheaply.  They usually double the cover when you have an accident involving a motorcycle, and I think that's a brilliant idea.  

Can you clarify, I didn't quite understand !

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, properperson said:

but excludes liability in connection with use of motor vehicles ....

Look at the "Civil Liability" part (damage caused to others during the trip or stay is guaranteed) I specify that I am not an expatriate but I own a condo in Jomtien !

cBwGhnp.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

OP, you've been warned.  If you wish to roll the dice with Thai insurance companies and laws, especially being a foreigner, good luck with it.   

 

Have you heard of Go Fund Me insurance in Thailand?  🤣 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DefaultName said:

Most, it not all, bike rentals bear their own risks.  They try to recover money from the renter if there's damage. 

Any reason the owner shouldn't recover money for damage caused by the renter?

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You know, there are millions of people out there in Thailand who ride motorcycle and are still living - even without any injury.

Yes, there are also millions of people out there who smoke and are still living - even disease free. 
 

Doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous, right? 
 

Specially if you are new to Thailand, first time riding here it’s a suicide… 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Any reason the owner shouldn't recover money for damage caused by the renter?

The OP was about insurance, I was pointing out that it doesn't work that way here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

It would be best for me to buy a motobike with a thai driver license and have it insured with Axa, for example !

 

 What insurance do you have for your own health?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have insurance in France but I am not an expatriate, I took out covid insurance to be able to come in July and August and I see that they cover civil liability, this is the document I published above !

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Farang two dot zero said:

I have insurance in France but I am not an expatriate, I took out covid insurance to be able to come in July and August and I see that they cover civil liability, this is the document I published above !

 

Does your health insurance in France cover you in Thailand?  I would be surprised if it did.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...