Pattaya Mayor talks about the future of Walking Street

webfact

Here's a photo of the billboard at the Bali Hai end announcing works by PEA. It's been there since early November. You'll have to use Google lens to translate it. Seems it should have been completed earlier this month. There is nothing remotely resembling the idyllic scene portrayed. It's just a shambles from one end to the other.

IMG_20211104_042727.jpg

Edited by bradiston

3 hours ago, kcpattaya said:

Clearly holding back on the fact that the ocean side will be demolished and replaced for an extended boulevard.
Entertainment licenses will NOT be renewed and plans are made to "move" the zone to Soi Buakhao.
Bali Hai will be transformed with an added recreation park and cruise terminal.

Wishful thinking? Let's see.

Their has been talking about demolishing the ocean side buildings, even before the Internet, not gonna happen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Can't see anything being done there, but they do occasionally close parts of it off to do some digging. I drive up "Walking" St regularly in the wee hours. The road is completely broken up. You couldn't walk along it without twisting your ankles at every step, so calling it Walking St is a joke. There are no pavements. I can't see they've changed anything. Several buildings sea side have been demolished, the rest look like a bomb hit them. It's a total write off. 

So here's my proposal, a copy of which will be submitted to the Pattaya planning office, aka the "you what?" office.

1 rename it Walking Dead St.

2 open a zombie theme park. Shouldn't be difficult. It's already full of them!

Minimal expenditure. Simple rebranding exercise. Job done.

It is my understanding that constriction on the beaches is illegal, so I am surprised to read the mayor telling us there will be no negative action taken regarding all those illegal properties in the beach side of Walking St. In fact he suggests upgrading them!

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Once they tear up the pavements (sidewalks) it will be years before they are repaired. They still haven't finished along Pattaya Tai.

most of it they did .it looked good for a few months then began to sink and crack so up it comes as dangerous now as it ever was 

If they really wanted to destroy it, they would have long ago like they did in Bangkok to Washington Square and want-to-be places that sprang up like Clinton Plaza which had much higher value to developers.  For Pattaya, that area is likely not of much interest to build another shopping centre, there is still plenty, now masses of unused space everywhere for retail space.  That short stretch on the ocean side there may be rare for Thailand, but doubt anyone would pay the price required to put an actual beach front hotel like what is on the islands.   Keep in mind that busy traffic choked roads along beaches are the most popular tourist attractions on the mainland.

3 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

If they really wanted to destroy it, they would have long ago like they did in Bangkok to Washington Square and want-to-be places that sprang up like Clinton Plaza which had much higher value to developers.  For Pattaya, that area is likely not of much interest to build another shopping centre, there is still plenty, now masses of unused space everywhere for retail space.  That short stretch on the ocean side there may be rare for Thailand, but doubt anyone would pay the price required to put an actual beach front hotel like what is on the islands.   Keep in mind that busy traffic choked roads along beaches are the most popular tourist attractions on the mainland.

Although it has yet to happen to The Waterfront, which is empty and decaying.

• Like 1

The Pattaya Mayor can talk all he likes about the future of Walking Street, but with the Soi LK Metro / Soi Baukhao area now in direct competition with Walking Street, and at a better price point, Walking Street Thai landlords need to correct their rents, or it will wither away.  

Edited by Leaver

9 hours ago, bstafford214 said:

All of the projects he spouts off about should have been done already while they had the chance. I think they are putting money in their pockets first before doing anything they should do for the city. It is 3rd world disgusting in that place and they don't care.

Correct! At least in Koh Samui, they have done wonders regarding the roads during the lack of tourists due to the Covid crisis - especially the ring road round the island, and the main roads in Lamai. Unheard of foresight - do all the roadworks while there is no traffic to speak of!

To be honest, my "flabber is gasted" that someone has had a bit of foresight in (local) Government - credit where credit is due - Kudos!

Now, what about the pavements? ????

Edited by sambum

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So I guess no Opera House?

But maybe even more convenience stores and drugstores. When the Chinese hordes return, they'll need water bottles and paracetamol. - All that walking up and down the street makes thirsty, and always having to follow the guide with the flag can be a headache...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Correct! At least in Koh Samui, they have done wonders regarding the roads during the lack of tourists due to the Covid crisis - especially the ring road round the island, and the main roads in Lamai. Unheard of foresight - do all the roadworks while there is no traffic to speak of!

To be honest, my "flabber is gasted" that someone has had a bit of foresight in (local) Government - credit where credit is due - Kudos!

Now, what about the pavements? ????

I haven't been back to Samui for some years, but by the sounds of your description of the new roads, Thailand should hold an Isle of Man TT style race on Samui. 

A few more road deaths won't change the stats too much.  ????  

3 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

The beach has rats running all over the beach at night.

Looking at it sometimes gives me the eebbee jeebies.

I don't go to Pattaya for the beach though.

These girls are trying to make a living.  They have families to feed! 

Edited by Sunnny

“We also received budgetary permission from the Pattaya City Council for an overall footpath/road renovation for Walking Street. Unfortunately, in the process of moving cables underground, portions of the road were damaged and some areas are in poor condition. Our plan is to refurbish and repair the pavement along the entire road, including full painting and a new art design for the street to give the area a fresh, new look.” The mayor continued.

----

Yes , we all know that old and profitable scheme - you fix one thing and damage the other one in the process, then you fix the damaged part and again damage the fixed one.  Never ending budget money stream.  Keep doing you job, guys, you are the best!

31 minutes ago, Sunnny said:

“We also received budgetary permission from the Pattaya City Council for an overall footpath/road renovation for Walking Street. Unfortunately, in the process of moving cables underground, portions of the road were damaged and some areas are in poor condition. Our plan is to refurbish and repair the pavement along the entire road, including full painting and a new art design for the street to give the area a fresh, new look.” The mayor continued.

----

Yes , we all know that old and profitable scheme - you fix one thing and damage the other one in the process, then you fix the damaged part and again damage the fixed one.  Never ending budget money stream.  Keep doing you job, guys, you are the best!

They are just trying to make a living and have families to feed also.  ????

54 minutes ago, Sunnny said:

I was talking about rats on the beach.

I love Pattaya.

I just don't walk along the beach at night as it has rats running around on it.

Edited by MrJ2U

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:
3 hours ago, Sunnny said:

I was talking about rats on the beach.

I love Pattaya.

I just don't walk along the beach at night as it has rats running around on it.

Edited 2 hours ago by MrJ2U

Ha ha 

I think Sunnny was being Funnny

????

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Reading the OP would have been an idea rather than just complaining about the pavement's condition...

"“We also received budgetary permission from the Pattaya City Council for an overall footpath/road renovation for Walking Street. Unfortunately, in the process of moving cables underground, portions of the road were damaged and some areas are in poor condition. Our plan is to refurbish and repair the pavement along the entire road..."

I read it. Do you live there, or nearby? Take a look for yourself.

I have been to " Walking Street "  many times but still don't know why Thais call it walking street as it is still a road used by vehicles as the picture clearly shows.  Even when the road is closed to vehicles you still run the risk of being hit by a motorcycle ( who have no respect for any traffic laws ) 

8 hours ago, bradiston said:
On 1/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Reading the OP would have been an idea rather than just complaining about the pavement's condition...

"“We also received budgetary permission from the Pattaya City Council for an overall footpath/road renovation for Walking Street. Unfortunately, in the process of moving cables underground, portions of the road were damaged and some areas are in poor condition. Our plan is to refurbish and repair the pavement along the entire road..."

I read it. Do you live there, or nearby? Take a look for yourself.

I don't need to live in, or nearby, Pattaya in order to read what the City Council spokesman said!...

" Unfortunately, in the process of moving cables underground, portions of the road were damaged and some areas are in poor condition. Our plan is to refurbish and repair the pavement along the entire road..."

No one is disputing the state of disrepair of the pavement but you are choosing to ignore the fact that the CC has confirmed that repairs/refurbishment will be made!  

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't need to live in, or nearby, Pattaya in order to read what the City Council spokesman said!...

" Unfortunately, in the process of moving cables underground, portions of the road were damaged and some areas are in poor condition. Our plan is to refurbish and repair the pavement along the entire road..."

No one is disputing the state of disrepair of the pavement but you are choosing to ignore the fact that the CC has confirmed that repairs/refurbishment will be made!  

They said the same about the pavements on Tai and elsewhere. Did you read his comments about that complete fxxx up? I posted a link. You think their promises actually mean anything? Do you really have faith in these guys?