Import duties ?

No idea. 

But I import a lot of stuff from China (including car parts - not so long a Mercedes alternator), which also has a free trade agreement with Thailand, and I never got charged tax to begin with. 

A free trade agreement means you directly don't get charged. It's not like first you get charged and then they return it or something alike. 

You will need to check the free trade agreement with Malaysia in case it doesn't include car suspension parts or whatever.

• Like 1

I think you need a degree in "Asian" to work it out.

I've been able to buy many (often in the many $100s) things from Amazon.com, including UPS 3 days delivery arrive without hassle, cheaper and faster than I can buy on Lazada and with no concerns of receiving fakes. Yet I've also ordered a low end ($200) 3D printer that was impounded on arrival pending me showing them my industrial import license and $100 worth of gel scar sheets impounded pending my providing a medical import license. Both fully refunded by Amazon even though they never made it out of customs. Someone in the know has a free 3D printer and someone else got some free Cica Gel sheets that they probably tried to eat.

Never had any issue with 10s of purchases from China. All I know from my own and other's experience is that once it gets queried or held it's a painful journey to sort out and often not worth bothering.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:52 PM, Woof999 said:

I think you need a degree in "Asian" to work it out.

I've been able to buy many (often in the many $100s) things from Amazon.com, including UPS 3 days delivery arrive without hassle, cheaper and faster than I can buy on Lazada and with no concerns of receiving fakes. Yet I've also ordered a low end ($200) 3D printer that was impounded on arrival pending me showing them my industrial import license and $100 worth of gel scar sheets impounded pending my providing a medical import license. Both fully refunded by Amazon even though they never made it out of customs. Someone in the know has a free 3D printer and someone else got some free Cica Gel sheets that they probably tried to eat.

Never had any issue with 10s of purchases from China. All I know from my own and other's experience is that once it gets queried or held it's a painful journey to sort out and often not worth bothering.

Thanks all....

Import duties last time about 4000 baht.... if incurr next time, will take the receipt and go visit the customs department and ask them why 

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, skippybangkok said:

Importing shock absorbers from Malaysia to Thailand. was taxed 30%, but Thailand and Malaysia has a free trade agreement. 

Anyone know how to use this benefit ?

Buy the made-in-Malaysia items from Thai suppliers, they are imported with reduced tariffs with the intention of reducing the prices in the country of import.   Asean FTA agreements do not mean that privately purchased/imported items are free of import duty to the individual consumer.

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02#individual_160426_04

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

To be able to import duty free from another ASEAN country or country ASEAN has an FTA with you’ll need to be able to proof the good’s country of origin (that’s where it has been manufactured). This is only possible if the seller issues a Certificate of Origin (can only be issued on behalf of the manufacturer) and fills in an export declaration. I can’t think of many sellers or manufacturers willing to make such efforts for a private buyer abroad. 

It is very common for manufacturers to  provide Certificates of Origin. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Saanim said:

It has to be a special CO for ASEAN, called Form "E".

Thanks

might explain it. trial version I put on my car ( convert from crazy expensive air shocks to coil overs ) was imported in my name.

Have first sale to a customer last week, so will work on CO and import under company

Thanks all 

On 1/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, Gulfsailor said:

To be able to import duty free from another ASEAN country or country ASEAN has an FTA with you’ll need to be able to proof the good’s country of origin (that’s where it has been manufactured). This is only possible if the seller issues a Certificate of Origin (can only be issued on behalf of the manufacturer) and fills in an export declaration. I can’t think of many sellers or manufacturers willing to make such efforts for a private buyer abroad. 

Very true Gulfsailor. It is not only Asean but any free trade agreement between countries require a Certificate Of Origin to obtain the rate of duty under that agreement.  The individual importer suffers.

Edited by ripstanley
  • Like 1

lived across the street from the owner of Thai Synergy Works co. ltd. They make shock absorber parts. The duty on shocks is likely high because they are manufactured domestically. 

Dude gave me a beautiful white Akita he had imported it from Japan. Apparently it did not get with his Great Dane.