"Entertainment" woman says she was raped by two men at drinks party - police delay of 5 months

webfact

55pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

A 27 year old Thai woman who was hired to mix drinks at a party in a Klong Toei, Bangkok, hotel went with her lawyer to the Klong Tan police after a five month investigation into an alleged rape went cold. 

The "entertainment" woman said that with two other women she didn't know she was paid 3,500 baht to attend the party with five men on August 13th from 10pm to 4 am next day.

Around midnight she said that she was raped by two men called Arthit,36, and Suthon, 37, in the toilets. 

She reported it on the 17th to the police.

Since then the case has gone nowhere.

The police claimed that DNA checks on condoms found at the scene did not have the profile of the alleged attackers or the victim, reported Siam Rath

Rape tests at a hospital were also inconclusive.

The victim said she was advised to drop the case against the two men. 

She said that she was not an entertainment woman by trade but worked in a pub. When the pub was closed due to the pandemic she sought alternative employment. 

The lawyer Bunmee Jomthong presented Line chat evidence and claimed that a friend of the alleged attackers had offered his client 20,000 baht to hush up the matter.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-22

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

A woman walks into a police station wishing to lodge a complaint, what is the nature of the complaint madam? asked the desk's policemen, well, i was rapped answered the woman, Ok, says the policeman, what is you occupation than madam? i'm a street walker sir, i see replied the clerk, how shall i put the complaint down than? you put it down as breaking and entering into my business sir...

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is included in such "entertainment" contracts? As we all know prostitution is illegal in Thailand. But it also seems to be normal that certain entertainers do a lot of entertainment with their customers...

And this, lets call it enhanced entertainment, can never be written in a contract because it is illegal.

Does that mean all entertainers can claim rape afterwards if they make sure they keep a used condom from that entertainment event?

Don't get me wrong, I think guys who rape women should go to jail. But if women work in the entertainment business and get paid for their services then that is (at least normally) not rape.

The ladies have various suffixes appended to the services they offer and that relates to what they will do. Some suffixes are for just serving and having drinks, some are for partaking in drugs and some are for sex.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, malathione said:

The ladies have various suffixes appended to the services they offer and that relates to what they will do. Some suffixes are for just serving and having drinks, some are for partaking in drugs and some are for sex.

Is there somewhere a dictionary which suffix is what?

Maybe the guys got confused and thought a model was a pretty or a madam or whatever they call themselves. 

57 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why would they want to claim rape if it never happened?

Money? It seems these days there are many women out there who suddenly remember that they were raped years or even decades ago. And it seems many of the accused rapists are now very rich. Now why would women accuse such men?

Obviously some women are raped and then they go to the police and that's what they should do. But for other women it seems to be a way to make a lot of money and/or ruin the life of a guy. MeToo and all that.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

It is possible to rape a prostitute. 

Yes, absolutely.

Just in case you never used such a service, maybe in a country far away where it is legal: The two business partners agree about the scope of the business and the payment. And if they guy doesn't follow the agreement...

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, Bluespunk said:

If a victim/survivor of a sexual assault reports such then the allegations must be investigated no matter how long has passed.

I agree. And while it is investigated any suspects should be treated as all other suspect. Innocent until proven guilty.

In this case it was only a couple of days and everybody still should remember what they did. But maybe they made illegal agreements (prostitution) and maybe drugs were involved. And that makes it obviously a lot more difficult to get straight answers from everybody involved. 

• Sad 1

On 1/22/2022 at 4:16 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I agree. And while it is investigated any suspects should be treated as all other suspect. Innocent until proven guilty.

In this case it was only a couple of days and everybody still should remember what they did. But maybe they made illegal agreements (prostitution) and maybe drugs were involved. And that makes it obviously a lot more difficult to get straight answers from everybody involved. 

I fully support the prosecution of historical sexual assaults, it has brought down scum such as harvey weinstein, bill cosby [though that particular predator escaped incarceration on a technicality], r kelly, epstein and others-it shows that no matter how much time passes you will face the consequences of your actions. The fact that such perpetrators cannot remember what they did is no defence nor a reason not to pursue cases.

Whether there was an illegal agreement or not, if consent was not willingly give, then it is rape. In cases where grooming, sex with trafficked persons who may not have felt able to resist or abuse of a position of power for the sexual exploitation of victims, as far as I am concerned, means there was no consent. 

EDIT: And just to add, again as far as I am concerned, if alcohol or drugs are involved it cannot be assumed informed consent has been given. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Being hired to serve drinks at a party does not commit the person hired to have sex with anyone who demands it.

Yes, I understand that part. But if a girls gets paid 3500B for a job which is done by others for 300B then that should bring up the question: Why do I get paid so much money for serving drinks? What do they expect?

I never attended such a party but somehow I would be surprised if guys spend so much money without getting the impression that they will get a lot more than just drinks served. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I am sure if the woman was a relative of the police, the case would have been in court along time ago. Disgrace again for the BiB.

More to do with lack of evidence IMHO.

1. Paid 3,500bht to do a 300bht job.

2. Her word against 5 guys words.

3. Wait 5 days to make report (so no physical evidence either way).

Doubt a police force in the world would bother with this.

And if they did, the DPP (equivalent) wouldn't prosecute.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

In other media reports, just after the event 5 months ago, it's clamed there was 3 men involved.

Police in Chonburi have detained a final suspect following the arrest of two others on Friday

Don't believe everything you read on forums and in newspapers.

She agreed to undertake the role for ฿150 an hour with the man she had met online, who was named by police as 27-year-old

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 1/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

if women work in the entertainment business and get paid for their services then that is (at least normally) not rape.

She wasn't in the entertainment business. She was only being paid 150 Baht an hour to mix drinks. The true story is out there on Google.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2