Are You A 'good Farang' Or 'a Cheap Charlie"?

Luckydog

What do poor Thais think of Poor Farangs?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too worried what they think, to be honest. :o

Exactly!!! :D

Well Put. Like someone should care what thouse crowd think.

That being said I'm kinda different. like I can drop 8000 Baht in a night at Sirrocco or Virtigo (pref Sirrocco) And think nothing of it. However I NEVER tip there not even a lil gold 25 satang coin. Why? Because most upscale joints like that already tell you what they think their service is worth with a 10% service charge! So why bother to tip if they take it without your imput.

Cheap Charile? Arguable.

At the same time, I would rather take a meter taxi and pay the fare with a tip 120 baht, then take a unmeter taxi who claims to only want 100.

Also When there is no service charge I tip nicely, American style 15-20%

Good Farang??? *shrug*

I almost came to blows and went to jail over things like being over charged by Baht Bus drivers and forged room service bills.

SO who knows I'm sure most of us long stay folks are at a healthy medium

Hey UlyssesG, you stranger you, what does kee nok mean?

The literal translation is "bird shit".... the meaning is 'no money at all' not just an unwillingness to part with it, not to be confused with 'kee neow' were the literal translation is "sticky shit" and the meaning is 'that stingy that you won't even give your excrement away'

chocolate milkshake anyone? ..... :o

i find the term 'cheap charlie' particularly offensive. but as i am a woman and i dont frequent the kind of bars in which this phrase is most commonly spoken, i dont get to hear it often. thank goodness.

Stereotyping Donna? Not all Thai girls/women are from the bars.

Sad but true that a lot of farang ladies have this idea.

I have to agree with the OP that a lot of Thais do classify us this way! They don't call us cheap charlies but chicken sh^^t!

This has nothing to do with bars or girls working in these establishments but with the general perception that we are rich.

For a lot of rural girls and especially their families we are considered the pot of gold.

In my case no support is given to the family; I take care of myself and my wife and of no one else.

But when I come to the village I get a lot of thumbs up. My wife's family is telling everyone that I am supporting them.

Face value is a bugger, ain't it?

i find the term 'cheap charlie' particularly offensive. but as i am a woman and i dont frequent the kind of bars in which this phrase is most commonly spoken, i dont get to hear it often. thank goodness.

You completely misunderstood Donna if that's what you read into it.

Stereotyping, KireB????

Now what's that saying about black pots & kettles? Hmmmm :o

I have to agree with the OP that a lot of Thais do classify us this way! They don't call us cheap charlies but chicken sh^^t!

This has nothing to do with bars or girls working in these establishments but with the general perception that we are rich.

For a lot of rural girls and especially their families we are considered the pot of gold.

In my case no support is given to the family; I take care of myself and my wife and of no one else.

But when I come to the village I get a lot of thumbs up. My wife's family is telling everyone that I am supporting them.

Face value is a bugger, ain't it?

I have never heard anyone called Kee Gai in thailand. Kee nee ow yes! This means sticky shit and would be the same as cheap charlie.

cheap charlie is in vocabulary of bargirls. same with kee nio................or something like that.

i have to agrre the avg thai dont hang with farangs. farangs in non sex area very rare. farang in sex area, very high percentage...lol.

You just have to walk around any shop mall in any city in Thailand, be it a high quality place like Paragon or a run of the mill Big C type mall in somewhere like Ubon - to realise that the VAST majority of Thais are too busy getting on with their own lives to worry about categorising us in such infantile ways.

Let's get real people. We ain't as fascinating or as important to them as we like to think we are.

I strongly suspect the OP lives in Pattaya. 'Nuff said.

cheap charlie is in vocabulary of bargirls. same with kee nio................or something like that.

i have to agrre the avg thai dont hang with farangs. farangs in non sex area very rare. farang in sex area, very high percentage...lol.

"kee neow" is not bargirl English. Bargirl English includes, 'ting tong',

'same same', 'cheap Charlie', 'handsum man'.

'kee neow' doesn't mean sticky shit, 'kee nok' doesn't mean birdshit.

"The corect term is farang kee nok"

'farang kee nok" is a type of guava tree tht grows where you would not expect it. It grows maybe in the middle of a mango orchard as the seed has been transferred by birds eating the seeds and then shitting.

Some Thais will say it when they see a farang upcountry, where they would not be expected.

I've also heard someone asy that it means a farang without any money, as the farang kee nok fruit has very little meat - ie a poor man's guava.

"kee neow" is not bargirl English. Bargirl English includes, 'ting tong',

'same same', 'cheap Charlie', 'handsum man'.

'kee neow' doesn't mean sticky shit, 'kee nok' doesn't mean birdshit.

Ting tong is used everywhere by Thai's that would have never been in a bar in their life, it is hardly an indicator that someone is from that kind of background

have you BEEN to Thailand?

its not just about handing over wads of dosh ,,,,

the thai people i know judge all people by there actions not cash, or possesions

if you make time for them chat and be happy then that goes further than a few thousand baht,

and you show that you have a good kind heart

Edited by colino

Whilst it doesn't matter one jot what people think of me, I am remineded of something I saw a few weeks ago.

Upon exiting the BTS I was walking behind a smartly dressed farang man that stopped at a fruit vendor at the bottom of the stairs. He stopped and spoke in Thai to the young lady and purchased some chopped mango. As he walked out of earshot she turned to her friend and sneered "farang kee nok" as if him doing the same as many Thais was somehow disgusting to her.

It's the same as when I potter up to Tesco's in my flip-flops, similar flip-flops to many Thais in Tesco's. I have noticed people gawping at my feet. My clean and well maintained feet I hasten to add.

"The corect term is farang kee nok"

'farang kee nok" is a type of guava tree tht grows where you would not expect it. It grows maybe in the middle of a mango orchard as the seed has been transferred by birds eating the seeds and then shitting.

Some Thais will say it when they see a farang upcountry, where they would not be expected.

I've also heard someone asy that it means a farang without any money, as the farang kee nok fruit has very little meat - ie a poor man's guava.

Ummm I have always heard it used to describe white expats that are generaly scummy in one way or another. "Kee" being shit "Nok" being bird , put it all together and you have Bird Shit (which is also white) farang. Heard it used ALLOT, and always explained to me as thus.

Why not to make your favorite ringtones ? It is easy , I have using mp3 to ringtone gold to make my ringtones for a long time , it works pretty good , just download it at http://www.oursdownload.com/mp3-to-wav,wav...o-ringtone.html

Damm scumbag spammers infiltraiting our forum! I wish there was a webiste that posted the pictures names and addresses of these bastards.

its not just about handing over wads of dosh ,,,,

the thai people i know judge all people by there actions not cash, or possesions

if you make time for them chat and be happy then that goes further than a few thousand baht,

and you show that you have a good kind heart

Do you need a Visa for Cloud Cockoo Land Old Bean?

Of course most Thais don't think of foreigners in these terms. However, this attitude does come into play with those lovely's with whom I have had close encounters with, ie considered for a relationship or had a relationship with them. When they think the cash lay-out is not to their liking they are history. I am talking anywhere from 6 to 15,000 bht per month for a GF. Below 6,000 seems to be a no go. Surprising, since most of them would not make much more in a shop girl job.

Hmm, mistress money is a bit OT but there is some truth to that, most thais do not (at least not to your face) use the term kee-nok directly. If you're intimitely involved with any person then insults and arguments are likely

Anywhere where foreigners have been residing for some time you'll get the 'he's got money, he's farang' whispering. You get it all over the world where there are the have's and the have not's.

Don't forget many thais are 'too rate'and no have any 'mareyaat'(not polite).When bying something from someone they should be happy allready,when talking in your back the surely do not have any mareyaat.If someone has no decent talk(in thai) to me I also offer them the ghun too rate etiquette.Sometimes it is good to make them shut up(hoep phak).Fortunately it not happens to often,cause many are very polite and nice,but sometimes the make me shock with their comments.But it can turn out to be funny,cause I can understand them what they are saying,and abrupt they give me a smile back.Farang phut thai chart maak.....yeah yeah.

Don't forget many thais are 'too rate'and no have any 'mareyaat'(not polite).When bying something from someone they should be happy allready,when talking in your back the surely do not have any mareyaat.If someone has no decent talk(in thai) to me I also offer them the ghun too rate etiquette.Sometimes it is good to make them shut up(hoep phak).Fortunately it not happens to often,cause many are very polite and nice,but sometimes the make me shock with their comments.But it can turn out to be funny,cause I can understand them what they are saying,and abrupt they give me a smile back.Farang phut thai chart maak.....yeah yeah.

Hey! Wot are you on Sunshine?

Hey! Wot are you on Sunshine?

?????Are you talking like, what that finger does in your nose??????

Since there are only 2 choices to this poll, I definitly fall into the category of Cheap Charlie.

It would have to be my hand holding a knife that is plundged into their heart from me for me to even consider giving them money for medical care. And then, I would have to think about it.

If i drop 10 baht into a plastic cup for a poor person begging I ask for 5 baht change.

My favorite brand name items to buy for the house are the Tesco brand.

If I see a soi dog dead on the side of the road I look at it to determine if there is any recoverable meat.

I'm sure there are others with humorous examples of how you are a cheap charlie. Let's hear them!!! :o

Since there are only 2 choices to this poll, I definitly fall into the category of Cheap Charlie.

It would have to be my hand holding a knife that is plundged into their heart from me for me to even consider giving them money for medical care. And then, I would have to think about it.

If i drop 10 baht into a plastic cup for a poor person begging I ask for 5 baht change.

My favorite brand name items to buy for the house are the Tesco brand.

If I see a soi dog dead on the side of the road I look at it to determine if there is any recoverable meat.

I'm sure there are others with humorous examples of how you are a cheap charlie. Let's hear them!!! :D

When you refuse the plastic bag & straw with your can of Chang from the 7-11, but demand a 3 bt refund for not taking them? :o