Top lawyer calls for corruption investigation into officer at Chiang Mai immigration

webfact

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This wasn't corruption, this was haggling.

It saved you 1,500bht off a legitimate fine.

I've not found Chiang Mai Immigration in any way corrupt, they've never asked me for any extra payments. I just find them unpleasant and pedantic, it really wouldn't hurt them to be nicer to their customers.

They never tried to bribe me either but they did suggest I go to this other location if I wanted the residence certificate the next day. Actually I wish they did bribe me, they are a pain in the ass with all the official documents, hence I arrange it elsewhere since 2 years.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, equalizer1970 said:

The only way they can clean this up is by banning the use of third party agencies and set up an independent appeals process. I went for a marriage visa years ago and they had me running around like a blue <deleted> fly. Oh this one need colour photo copy. Oh this you need 6 copies not 2 copies. This one no good need to go get new copy, signature touching line. Blaa Blaa Blaa. I eventually did what they said until they realized i wasn't going away. I paid the 1900 baht and she gave me back my passport and a big stack of A4 photocopies. Then her last words. ''Better you go see agent next time''! If there was an independent agency you could approach and show them what you have had to go through and they came down hard on these employees this would all stop in no time.  

Equalizer, you've made the best proposal I have seen in years...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, equalizer1970 said:

The only way they can clean this up is by banning the use of third party agencies and set up an independent appeals process. I went for a marriage visa years ago and they had me running around like a blue <deleted> fly. Oh this one need colour photo copy. Oh this you need 6 copies not 2 copies. This one no good need to go get new copy, signature touching line. Blaa Blaa Blaa. I eventually did what they said until they realized i wasn't going away. I paid the 1900 baht and she gave me back my passport and a big stack of A4 photocopies. Then her last words. ''Better you go see agent next time''! If there was an independent agency you could approach and show them what you have had to go through and they came down hard on these employees this would all stop in no time.  

Your obviously having a Senior moment lol  ????????????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

When I get my Residence Cert the lady throws my 500 bht in a desk drawer, no receipt. The worse they treat you the more apt you are to use an agent is my thought.

It happened to me the same a few years ago, paid B800.- No receipt. But I needed urgently the RCertif. I didn't want to wait and come back another day to get it. BTW.. I got a big Thai smile from the lady.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Last year at the immigration I go to, I completely forgot about my 90 day report, and ended up going a day  after the grace period.

I knew I was late, and the officer spotted it and said "you late, 2,000 baht fine". I knew he was right to fine me, so I asked if he would give me a receipt. and his reply was "no receipt, only 1,000 baht !" .

I took out my wallet, looked inside it and said "I only have 500 baht, he whispered "OK", accepted it, and slipped it into his pocket discreetly !

I think most officers are corrupt if they think they can obtain money and not get caught. 

So why didn't u keep on insisting on a receipt for the 500 baht and pretend to not know what was going on? If u persist they will give in in case you create a scene etc.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This wasn't corruption, this was haggling.

It saved you 1,500bht off a legitimate fine.

I've not found Chiang Mai Immigration in any way corrupt, they've never asked me for any extra payments. I just find them unpleasant and pedantic, it really wouldn't hurt them to be nicer to their customers.

It deprived the state of a legitimate 1500 baht.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was using an agent at CM Immigration years ago, until I figured out all it did was save me some waiting time, as I still had to assemble all the paperwork for the agent. It was general knowledge the wife of the agent was related to one of the more senior immigration officers.

One time, I had a choice of paying 1000 baht for a residence certificate, and getting it the next day, or getting it free with a wait of one month. If that's not corruption, I don't know what it is. I paid the 1000 baht.

I can remember one white-haired IO at CM whose treatment of people was so rude I was surprised nobody fronted up to the counter with a machete or gun. I only had to deal with him once, fortunately.

When Big Joke "cleaned up" CM Immigration, the change I noted was wait times were longer, even for people using agents. 25 minutes became 2 hours for me, which was when I decided to go it alone. My wait time after was 3 hours, which made my time worth 2500 baht/hour in terms of the money I saved on the agent.

I must say dealing with Chiang Rai Immigration in the two years I have been here has been a breeze in comparison. As long as one has the paperwork correct, in and out very quickly. Of course, they have far fewer people to deal with than in CM.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I must say dealing with Chiang Rai Immigration in the two years I have been here has been a breeze in comparison. As long as one has the paperwork correct, in and out very quickly. Of course, they have far fewer people to deal with than in CM.

My last two 1 year extensions took less than two hours each.

(from driving in to driving out)