Question on health insurance for “0” retirement visa

I have just obtained a retirement visa here in Thailand without the need for health insurance, can anyone tell me if I will still need full health insurance or even covid insurance to leave and return to Thailand within the period of this visa.

4 minutes ago, Mick 1 said:

would I still require this to enter with existing visa?

The $50,000 US insurance is required for all entries unless you are a Thai.

If you had a valid OA visa you issued since October of last year you would need the 3 million baht insurance for one issued before that day it would be the 40/400k baht insurance.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The $50,000 US insurance is required for all entries unless you are a Thai.

If you had a valid OA visa you issued since October of last year you would need the 3 million baht insurance for one issued before that day it would be the 40/400k baht insurance.

but is the 3m or 40/400k insurance is only required to apply for visa, as I have an O visa would I only require the $50,000 insurance?

If for example you leave Thailand then return using your existing O-visa.  Do you then have to buy the 50k insurance for the remaining term of the visa to maintain the same permission of stay of the remaining visa term?   Assume also am using a UK passport. 

37 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

If for example you leave Thailand then return using your existing O-visa.  Do you then have to buy the 50k insurance for the remaining term of the visa to maintain the same permission of stay of the remaining visa term?   Assume also am using a UK passport. 

You cannot return using the same visa unless it is a multi-entry visa (rare).  You need to get a re-entry permits.

This retains your existing permission to stay.

All non-Thai citizens must have proof of insurance to enter Thailand, including those using a re-entry permit.

There is a lack of clarity as to how long the insurance has to be valid for. Several people have reported entering with just 30 days insurance despite a permission to stay date that was further away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming I apply for a retirement O visa and pay the extra amount for the multiple entry option.   If I then leave and re-enter is then any further clarification on whether am I able to do so with just a 30 day 50k insurance policy when my visa has longer than this to expire?   It seems under the current rules I would be required to then obtain. The 50k insurance for the remaining multiple entry visa term instead of just applying for a 30 day policy.  Any further insights on this would be appreciated.  

1 hour ago, HKexpat said:

Assuming I apply for a retirement O visa and pay the extra amount for the multiple entry option

There is no "multiple entry version".

After you obtain a non O (it's a single entry visa) you would obtain a 12 month extension.

If you wish to exit Thailand and return you purchase a 'reentry permit'.

You can buy a single (1000b) or multiple (3800b).

This enables you to maintain your permission of stay. 

Each time you enter Thailand you will require covid insurance..

You could purchase insurance for 30 day coverage. 

Thanks Dr Jack, could you please also clarify where and when I would purchase the re-entry permit with single entry or multiple entry?  Is this at the time I do the O visa or can it be done after if and when I decide to travel outside of Thailand but want to keep my O retirement visa validity?  

21 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thanks Dr Jack, could you please also clarify where and when I would purchase the re-entry permit with single entry or multiple entry?  Is this at the time I do the O visa or can it be done after if and when I decide to travel outside of Thailand but want to keep my O retirement visa validity?  

If you obtain reentry permit at same time as the non O it will only be valid for that permission of stay. 90 days..

Best to obtain it on or after your 12 month extension approval.

It will then have an expiry same as you extension.

If it's necessary to exit prior to obtaining your extension then yes that's no problem however would mean that you would need another reentry permit if you wish to exit and reenter during your extension period. 

You can obtain your reentry permit at any time at immigration or the airport.

For Swampy airport the office is past security check and Prior to passport control zone 2. 

Note that at DMK the reentry permit office is just past passport control.

The form you use is a TM8 and requires a photo..

Edited by DrJack54

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 9:13 AM, HKexpat said:

Thanks for clarifying Dr Jack

Hello - Did you ever establish whether the health insurance requirement is for 90 days or or the whole period of expiry of the non O visa? or as some some say need only be 30 days?  

17 minutes ago, JolyonB said:

Hello - Did you ever establish whether the health insurance requirement is for 90 days or or the whole period of expiry of the non O visa? or as some some say need only be 30 days?  

What is your non-o visa based upon?

To apply for a non-o visa at embassy or official consulate based upon retirement you need 90 days of medical insurance plus covid 19 insurance to get a Thailand pass.

For a non-o visa based upon marriage there is no insurance needed to apply for one. You do need at least 30 day of covid 19 insurance.