Here's how one woman left her rented room after leaving owing two months rent

webfact

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You ask them to talk to your previous landlord.

I knew you were going to suggest that. I even keep evidence of my previous rentals by Internet bills. I have negotiated a reduction at one place. The place I have now is through a real estate agent, so negotiation is fruitless. I'm extremely happy with the rental and I'm sure it will be returned. I prefer an agent now and having no direct contact with owners.

Edited by JensenZ

24 minutes ago, TheScience said:

That's money you'll never see again.

That's true, because when I leave it will go to pay the next deposit on the next place I rent. It will remain dead money until I die or buy a place of my own.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Left owing 2 months rent .......

So the landlord keeps the 1 month security, and is out 1 months rent after 5 years of payments.

Clearing up the mess, less than a day's wage, 300bht.

If I were the landlord I'd call that a decent profit.

300 baht ???? Mr Britman yo you are way off 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

Especially for a landlord who appears to have made zero effort to monitor month to month conditions of/in the apartment.

Money for old rope......plastic bags, fans, model of Eiffel Tower......etc.....

I don't monitor my properties month to month.

You have a venting process that usually helps determine a good renter.

The majority of people renting are fine.  Usually the only contact we have is if something breaks.  If so we send a repairman.

The less contact with the renter the better in my opinion.

Short leases would be different.

12 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

So, if you were in rented accommodation and the landlord wanted to check every month, you'd be okay with that?

I get house inspection every 3 months in OZ and the landlord never get to see the bond it is paid into a government trust fund and gets refunded when I move out

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Seen this kind of thing reported several times over the years, and the tenant is always a woman. I guess it's yet more evidence of the childlike mentality of so many Thais, who simply can't cope with adult life. I mean, how difficult is it to throw rubbish away.

Yea I thought the same thing that I had read this same sort of story 6 months ago.  I did a google search and found this one from 2 years ago.

Seems older than the one I recall so seems to happen often.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Enoon said:

Especially for a landlord who appears to have made zero effort to monitor month to month conditions of/in the apartment.

Money for old rope......plastic bags, fans, model of Eiffel Tower......etc.....

In the UK landlords are not allowed to 'inspect' rented property for cleanliness etc. They only find out once the premises are vacated, often repossessed due to non payment of rent. There are many cases like this in the UK there is even a TV series showing them because there are so many. Not sure if the same kind of law applies in Thailand.

Has she just left or has she died or been injured? Obviously she rented for 5 years without missing payment. Nobody knows where she is. That is not 5 years of hoarding there would be a lot more. Another victim of the Covid crisis perhaps.

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Seen this kind of thing reported several times over the years, and the tenant is always a woman. I guess it's yet more evidence of the childlike mentality of so many Thais, who simply can't cope with adult life. I mean, how difficult is it to throw rubbish away.

I think it is a specific type of mental illness.

just move out when it suits (18 000 baht = 2 months late rent @9.000) i have had curtains

done /Aircon / and a few other bits repaired after 8 years, so just swerve it.

after sixteen years and never had a deposit returned saves all the arguing, don't give

them the opportunity . sorry did get one when i asked a thai to take pictures of my 

electric meter, and the thai who  had been left in charge thought i had employed an investigator, when in fact he was a Thai who had an internet shop who i knew. 

35 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I think it is a specific type of mental illness.

I think it's the other way around. Those obsessed with cleanliness are the ones who are mentally ill.

I had a sign in my office back when I worked:

A clean desk is the sign of a cluttered mind.

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:59 PM, JensenZ said:

This is the problem with security bonds - the landlord holds all the cards.

Yes, I found this out the hard way also. Same situation; rented for a year, fixed things that were broken--never called to tell him they were broken as I didn't want to have to pay more for him to fix things, kept the yard watered, and left the place in better shape than when I started......didn't get any deposit back, landlord was just full of lame excuses why he wouldn't give it back. Never again!

On 1/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, JensenZ said:

Seriously? I'm going to start a "legal action" over a 3000 baht cleaning fee? That's ridiculous. I have better things to do with my time.

Did I challenge him? Bl**dy right I did. We had a very unpleasant, very loud shouting and cursing match, but I stopped short of attacking him.

Something important you missed. I didn't pay it, he took it out of my deposit. He gave me back my deposit minus the cleaning fee.

Do you live in Thailand? Your suggestions don't work here and quite frankly sound rather naive.

Lived there for 10 years. I said Threten legal action. Thats usually enough. They usually listen then. Of course not worth following through. Thats why I said threaten..Never had any landlord try this as perhaps they knew not to mess with me..

On 1/26/2022 at 6:13 PM, JeffersLos said:

Better than mine who left with the expensive bedding and surround sound system. 

Security deposit... ?

I discussed with my landlord and brought up a security deposit as there was a lot of good quality wood furniture. He soon latched onto the idea and asked for one.... of course I couldn't get it back a few years later... with his agreement I got a coffee maker!