Opening a bank account in Hua Hin

Niteowl45

HI guys,

So I'm in Hua Hin, currently on a tourist visa.

I thought it would be reasonably easy to open a bank account, but the two branches I visited today (Bangkok bank and Kasiorn) didn't allow me to do so.

Bangkok bank said I needed a letter from immigration about my address (not sure I can get one on a tourist visa, even though I do have a long term residence and plan to stay here for a while)

Alternatively they said I could purchase some kind of life insurance with them (ain't gonna happen and how bizarre!)

Those were branches reasonably close to the center.... so not sure

should I go to the immigration and see if I can get a letter? Do you guys know any local banks that let tourists open bank accounts?

any hep would be greatly appreciated.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Niteowl45 said:

Alternatively they said I could purchase some kind of life insurance with them (ain't gonna happen and how bizarre!)

Bizarre ??

its the account opening fee you seem to have missed the point

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

Bizarre ??

its the account opening fee you seem to have missed the point

Quite normal for Bangkok Bank. They insisted I purchased 'one-off' 12 months accident insurance from them. Cost 3,000 baht. It did include cover for moto accidents up to age 65. Didn't make any claim during the 12 months period though. No requirement to renew.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had the same issue when I first arrived in Bangkok about 6 years back.

In my experience, almost all banks won't allow a person with tourist visa to open a bank account BUT I was lucky enough to find UOB Bank will allow me to open a bank with a tourist visa, but they wanted a deposit of 50,000 THB ( which you can withdraw all but maintain 5k THB at all times ) and a tenancy agreement.

I had the tenancy agreement, but I didn't have that much cash on me. They allowed to swipe my credit card and withdraw cash from the counter to deposit into the account, and i remembered the rates weren't that bad.

Left the bank with a bank book and an ATM card after about an hour.

FYI - I did this at UOB bank in Gateway Ekkamai, Bangkok, so I can't promise if the UOB banks here in Hua Hin will do the same, but it's worth a try.

23 hours ago, Alldar said:

How is life/accident insurance an account opening fee?

It's not. But it's what it'll cost you to open an account with them ???? - I assume they get commission and the policy is virtually worthless.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

About three years ago it was possible to open a bank account complete with debit card at Krungsri Bank with a foreign passport on a tourist visa, a temporary Thai phone number and minimal deposit.   I have also heard it is easier to transfer money out of the country with Krungsri.

4 hours ago, BusyB said:

It's not. But it's what it'll cost you to open an account with them ???? - I assume they get commission and the policy is virtually worthless.

On the contrary. You assume wrong. The staff were being helpful  and helping him open a Bank account using a normal  and appropriate  procedure. He refused their offer. In his position I would not have refused.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, Alldar said:

You want the account you buy the  insurance

you have an account

so its the fee

Is there any other language you would like it explained in

4 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary. You assume wrong. The staff were being helpful  and helping him open a Bank account using a normal  and appropriate  procedure. He refused their offer. In his position I would not have refused.

I didn't mean the staff got a commission, I assume the bank does. It is acting as an 'agent'. I may be wrong, but I have never ever had a bank account made conditional on buying insurance. If I want insurance I go to an insurance company.

A thai friend of mine was also forced to take out life insurance before they would open an account for her so it's not just farangs.

I assume your post was satire. I would certainly go somewhere else as the 'offer' does not bode well for the future relationship.

14 minutes ago, BusyB said:

I didn't mean the staff got a commission, I assume the bank does. It is acting as an 'agent'. I may be wrong, but I have never ever had a bank account made conditional on buying insurance. If I want insurance I go to an insurance company.

A thai friend of mine was also forced to take out life insurance before they would open an account for her so it's not just farangs.

I assume your post was satire. I would certainly go somewhere else as the 'offer' does not bode well for the future relationship.

The OP is a tourist  looking for  a bank account  here. Up to him. Beggars can't be choosers.  Life insurance  is pretty common here when opening a bank account. I have two accounts here. One with one without. Did not bother me in the  slightest.   But 'that ain't gonna happen' is not a business like attitude. its unnecessary machismo.  Is  such a comment trying to impress ?

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

The OP is a tourist  looking for  a bank account  here. Up to him. Beggars can't be choosers.  Life insurance  is pretty common here when opening a bank account. I have two accounts here. One with one without. Did not bother me in the  slightest.   But 'that ain't gonna happen' is not a business like attitude. its unnecessary machismo.  Is  such a comment trying to impress ?

No.

I have been here in Hua Hin since 2009. The process has always been to get a residence letter from your landlord or condominium building manager, then take said to Immigration for the certificate of residence. You will get it from the downstairs at Prachuap Immigration office and the document will cost 500 baht still I think. With the certificate and Passport , also a Thai phone number, you shouldn't have any trouble. I have accounts at both BBL and SCB, I find SCB to be the overall better of the banks.

12 hours ago, poohy said:

You want the account you buy the  insurance

you have an account

so its the fee

Is there any other language you would like it explained in

The point is it is NOT account opening fee. It is an insurance, which you don't want and you don't need. The thing that they probably have some backhand deal with insurance company is another topic.

And yes I agree that it is bizarre that they are forcing you to buy an insurance which you don't need. They tried to do the same to me, but I didn't buy it.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:53 PM, Alldar said:

If you don't pay it then there will be no account opened if you don't have all the documents they demand.

This documentation requirement seems to disappear if you buy the insurance, people have been complaining about this for a long time.

23 minutes ago, ukrules said:

If you don't pay it then there will be no account opened if you don't have all the documents they demand.

This documentation requirement seems to disappear if you buy the insurance, people have been complaining about this for a long time.

I know the story very well, but in any case it is not account opening fee. It is just a useless insurance from which they have some commission.

And I was probably somehow lucky because I was able to open an account 2 years ago without this insurance. If it would be account 'opening fee' how someone is trying to state here it wouldn't be possible.