VOIP

Negita43

I believe all the major Thai carriers allow you to use "WiFi calling" when abroad. It's like roaming in that you can receive and make calls using your Thai #. It's totally seamless and there is no charge or extra fees, surprisingly. You just need to enable this function on your phone + you need to keep the Thai SIM in your phone, + you need to be on WiFi of course.

If you have to use a local (non-Thai) SIM but still want to use your Thai #, I believe all the major Thai carriers also offer a free app - you add your # to the app before you leave Thailand, then whenever you want to make or receive calls you just use the app. It is also free of charge.

EDIT: On DTAC, the app is called "DTAC CALL" and you can in fact add multiple numbers all on a single phone.

Edited by clokwise
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, pitufikken said:

Try Duo, it works for me

Yes, as long as everyone else has Duo.

I think the OP is looking for a way to make/receive calls from Thai numbers to his Thai number.

As clokwise mentions, WiFI calling is the best solution. Calls made from thailand to your thai number will ring through at in-country on-lan rates. And you can make calls back to thailand on plan. You need a WiFi signal, and shouldn't stray too far from that signal while on a call. Same-same SMSes.

https://www.dtac.co.th/en/info/dtac-call.html

https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eggdigital.femjo&hl=en&gl=US

Lastly, enable international roaming before leaving.

43 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Lastly, enable international roaming before leaving.

Just want to clarify, enabling int'l roaming is not required to use WiFi Calling. In fact enabling it may cause your phone to bypass WiFi Calling and use your roaming credits instead. I can confirm that WiFi Calling works 100% perfectly overseas without roaming enabled.

20 minutes ago, clokwise said:

enabling int'l roaming is not required to use WiFi Calling.

Correct. Did not say that it was. Did not mean to imply that. I can see how some might get confused.

20 minutes ago, clokwise said:

In fact enabling it may cause your phone to bypass WiFi Calling and use your roaming credits instead.

Not sure. I've left IR enabled. Never had any issue.

21 minutes ago, clokwise said:

I can confirm that WiFi Calling works 100% perfectly overseas without roaming enabled.

Yes, we've established that WiFi Calling and IR are separate features/options.

I have int'l roaming enabled. But DTAC Call has worked well for me over the years.

Many, many folks regret not enabling IR before leaving thailand. Obviously more of an issue if NOT using a WiFi calling option.

WiFi calling does require the use of an app, and registration via that app.

20 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

WiFi calling does require the use of an app, and registration via that app.

Actually not true. WiFi calling is, these days, generally enabled by default on most devices and by most carriers. There is no app, and no prior setup by the user or the carrier is required. It just works. And frankly, with the way carriers try to squeeze every last satang out of us, it's pleasantly surprising that they are not (yet) charging extra for it or otherwise making it difficult to use. Let's enjoy it while we still can.

5 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks for all the input can I just clarify that WIFI calling is only for outgoing calls i.e. she can call Thailand but cannot receive calls to her mobile number whilst abroad

She will still receive calls and SMS's, as long as she's connected to the net.

Here's the AIS page with details and instructions for setting up the service on various phone models.  The process will be the same for other operators, though the number to subscribe will likely be different.

AIS 4G VoWiFi Voice over WiFi

They do say that the service is free internationally up to June 30th.  I don't know if they'll impose a fee, or continue providing it for free after then.

image.png.e23cd3c855c5409e8e1f3a4a8e2fd6fe.png

• 4 weeks later...