Skin Cancer, Chaing mai. I highly recommend surgeon Anan Watcharajittitham for basal call carcinoma cancer

LOUIS65

On 2/4/2022 at 5:35 PM, LOUIS65 said:

I had my biopsy done by  Dr Siri Chiewchanvit  at the Skin and Cosmetic-Excellence 5th floor, at Sriphat Medical Center

and it was 7.000 Baht.

If you had the spot cut out ......... why would you need to test the tissue?

Nobody has ever been able to explain this to me.

It's either been removed, or it hasn't!

I had 3 lumps removed at CM RAM a few years back, total cost 3,000bht.

They asked me if I wanted the tissue tested as well, I saw no point in the extra expense.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Simple answer - as have been there several times - they check the margin to make sure there is non cancer on all sides - when they operate they draw an approximate area of cancer and then add a bit and hope for the best - it is the after surgery biopsy that confirms it - or a need to remove more.  

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not by a plastic surgeon I suspect - much higher prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a biopsy at Serirak skin clinic in BKK..

5000 thb including pathology.

Result indicated squamous cell carcinoma with deep roots.

Quote for excision "maybe up to 100,000 thb" if surgery is unsuccessful " maybe another 100,000 thb"

Had excision done in Australia,failed to get clear margin,further excision included grinding some bone from my skull. FOC.

Since returning to BKK I had another SCC removed from my hand at Navarmon hospital 7000 thb including pathology and aftercare.

Very happy with this.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:21 PM, BritManToo said:

If you had the spot cut out ......... why would you need to test the tissue?

They asked me if I wanted the tissue tested as well, I saw no point in the extra expense.

You cannot tell by visual inspection if all of the cancerous cells (assuming the lesion was cancer - which you also can't tell just by looking at it) have been removed.

The purpose of testing the tissue is to (1) determine what the lesion was  and (2) in case it was malignant, determine if all of it was removed or there is a need to do further, wider excision.

Since many types of lesions are liable to recur, or put you at risk of having other problems in future, it is also useful to in any event know what it was that you had.

In your particular case, since you describe what you had as "lumps" and being asked if you wanted a biopsy (as opposed to it being recommended),  the doctors may have felt there was little chance it was malignant. Might for example have been lipomas or cysts, both quite different situations than skin cancer.