Vitamin D Prevents Serious Illness and Death from Covid?

placeholder

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

I am with you on that.  I don't question the studies, per se, but a lot of them are really not too much more than an observation or finding in a limited number of patients, they then go on to be checked by a larger more controlled actual study that may be replicated by others.  However, we tend to get an observational study and these are often just white noise until they are confirmed.  

There are so very many variables with this virus and the people getting infections with various levels of symptoms.  

Yeah and that's the same thing with data and statistics.

Some really abuse those statistics without knowing the full truth behind the data being delivered.

Maybe a bit of topic, but shows misinformation are spread by even well known experts.

A good example is  Eric Feigl-Ding  that recently started posting some very misleading Twitter posts, that discredited Denmark and started what could be seen as a fear mongering crusade.

His posts are being discredited by danish experts, and they explain the truth behind the data, but to late when it's already is on his Twitter.

To bad, because i liked his previous statistics, but he really dropped the ball on this one.

He is not totally wrong, but he failed to interpret the data correct and therefore it's misleading.

Just shows we all need to be critical when we read stuff online.

• Like 1

This is not new knowledge at all. I've known about the benefits of Vitamin D in connection with the immune system for a long time.

And I've written about it previously on the forum. The point I raised last year in connection with the spread of the 1st wave was: 'what was it that brought the virus to a shuddering halt once it reached the Thai countryside?' We in Sakon Nakhon had only 1 case and Bueng Kan, to north of us had none.

Low population density has to be one factor, a simple, healthy diet could well be another. But the common factor is a far greater exposure to sunlight than that experienced by city dwellers. I recall reading an article that expressed concern about the lack of Vitamin D in Bangkokians. 

I've lived in sunny climes for much of my life and it's very rare for me to get any illness at all, so me? I'm believer.

• Like 1

The questions should not stop at vitamin D. Why is there no attempt at obesity prevention? Exercise? Outdoor activities (actually discouraged via lockdowns)? Diet? 

Nope. It’s all “take this magic pill rushed by pharma” 

Long term prevention is the key, and more and more we are gonna realize that means lifestyle changes and natural immunity and not quick and easy pills. The entire medical industry is obviously pill happy, for obvious reasons. Look who funds their education facilities. Heir paychecks also count on it. 

Edited by Backthatvaxup
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Backthatvaxup said:

Yes. Vitamin D helps prevent Covid. And what was everyone told to do at the beginning. Stay inside out of the sun, and get into enclosed spaces where Covid flourishes. 

is any of it starting to make sense yet? 

I guess that means  countries like Australia and New Zealand which strongly enforced such rules failed hugely in their attempt to limit covid...oh wait a minute...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

I guess that means  countries like Australia and New Zealand which strongly enforced such rules failed hugely in their attempt to limit covid...oh wait a minute...

Australia is your example?? Seriously? U do know Covid is not over yet, right? U don’t seem to understand at all how this works. Think baseball. U don’t win the game in the 3rd inning. Make sense? 

Look.

Bottom line supplementing with D is affordable, not likely to hurt you, and may well help you a lot.

So why not?

But if you choose 4k iu or more research why you should balance with K.

Doses that high without K could hurt you cardiovascularly.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Look.

Bottom line supplementing with D is affordable, not likely to hurt you, and may well help you a lot.

So why not?

Doses that high without K could hurt you cardiovasciularly.

This is actually a seriously important topic. I have often surmised Thais are seriously short on vitamin D, via their extreme avoidance of sun. 

It’s amazing u can’t convince any of them a little is actually good for you. But whatever it is still a very important topic, especially here in my opinion where people are so weird. You can get your daily vitamin d allotment in 15 minutes in the sun if you do it right… exposing the right amount of surface area eg arms etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Backthatvaxup said:

What I said is what I said. There are things shown to help fight Covid. All those things were discouraged or prohibited for a long time, in the us, during lockdowns. Why they would be so stupid I have no idea, that’s up for each person to decide. 

Well I'm with you on one thing. I think global governments should have been promoting Vitamin D as possibly helpful even before vaccines and they still aren't doing that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Backthatvaxup said:

Australia is your example?? Seriously? U do know Covid is not over yet, right? U don’t seem to understand at all how this works. Think baseball. U don’t win the game in the 3rd inning. Make sense? 

Not exactly au courant, are you?

image.png.5d8fc362b53af90bdf855735bc9a215c.png

image.png.b4f6377259626e171a64eb375c5acd19.png

image.png.1b551fff421f1b1b2991efae77053f99.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/australia

The latest figures show that in Australia that cumulative deaths amount to 4302. They also show that the case rate is declining dramatically. And that deaths have begun a sharp decline. Let's be absurdly pessimistic and say that the death total will ultimately double. So that would be 8604. On a percentage basis, how does that compare to other developed nations? And keep in mind that Australia has one of the highest obesity rates among developed nations.

1 minute ago, Backthatvaxup said:

Seriously… what part of  “you can’t help your immune system” is not comprehended as misinformation? Ha. That is too funny. 

Ok everyone… u cannot help your immune system. Wait maybe I will make a separate post..

This is about semantics..

Just now, Backthatvaxup said:

U cannot help your immune system. Wow this is fun should have tried this earlier. Just get vaxxed. Forget boosting your actual health that won’t work lol

This is a danger of promoting D. Many people will see that as instead of vaccines. No! In addition. Both. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Backthatvaxup said:

What part of 3rd inning don’t u understand? Anybody can cherry pick. U don’t seem to get anything bro. It’s so funny you’re showing Australia… go talk to some Australians why don’t you? And meanwhile, these restrictions will hurt their numbers long run. Look at recent Johns Hopkins study. 

Apparently, you didn't notice the sharp downward trend that is absolutely typical of Omicron. Can you cite anywhere that this trend has sharply reversed back upwards?

And of course, as usual among covid vaccine denialists you don't take into account the mortality rates of the vaccinated vs. the unvaccinated.

I just hope you aren't as far gone as the person last night who swallowed the lie that those who are doubly vaccinated are more likely to have their immune systems impaired. This was based on the observation that there were people who had 2 vaccination and subsequently had low antibody levels. They actually believed that this meant that 2 vaccinations resulted in low antibody levels. Can you believe that anyone would fall for such an obvious piece of nonsense? Especially given that there was information on the same page that showed how ridiculous such a claim was?

5 minutes ago, dj230 said:

just stand in the sun for 20-30 minutes with sunscreen 

The problem with sunscreen is that it blocks UV rays. It's UV rays that stimulate your skin to produce Vitamin D. So I guess it depends on how much sunscreen you lather on and how effective whatever the kind you're using happens to be.

27 minutes ago, Backthatvaxup said:

There’s nothing semantic about “you cannot boost your immune system” 

Yes there is. The problem word is boost.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/boosting-your-immune-system.html

Can You Really Boost Your Immune System?

The idea of boosting your immune system is appealing, but is it even possible to build up your immune system so that you rarely get sick?

Dr. Suzanne Cassel, an immunologist at Cedars-Sinai, says that the concept of boosting your immune system is inaccurate. There's also widely held confusion about how your immune system functions and how your body is designed to combat diseases and infections.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Look.

So why not?

Doses that high without K could hurt you cardiovascularly.

When you look at the articles/studies at K2 vitamins, you find a lot of different ones, with a lot of different conclusions.

The sale of K2 vitamins suddenly shot through the roof approx 10 years ago

and since then a lot of articles has been written about the K1 and K2 vitamins.

Let's just say not all agree if it's good or not.

It's a jungle out there.

So i as a layman has no clue if K2 is good or not, but i use the 4000 IU D3 vitamin with 100 mcg K2 added in same pill.

1 minute ago, Virt said:

When you look at the articles/studies at K2 vitamins, you find a lot of different ones, with a lot of different conclusions.

The sale of K2 vitamins suddenly shot through the roof approx 10 years ago

and since then a lot of articles has been written about the K1 and K2 vitamins.

Let's just say not all agree if it's good or not.

It's a jungle out there.

So i as a layman has no clue if K2 is good or not, but i use the 4000 IU D3 vitamin with 100 mcg K2 added in same pill.

There is a good reason that its added. Calcium.

Possible explanation: If someone is in generally poor health that may result in a vitamin D deficiency.  These people are less likely to fight off a virus simply because they are not healthy.  It does not mean that vitamin D is the cause, and it does not mean that just giving them vitamin D will help.  The main factor could be their underlying health condition and lack of vitamin D merely a marker.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Possible explanation: If someone is in generally poor health that may result in a vitamin D deficiency.  These people are less likely to fight off a virus simply because they are not healthy.  It does not mean that vitamin D is the cause, and it does not mean that just giving them vitamin D will help.  The main factor could be their underlying health condition and lack of vitamin D merely a marker.

It's a theory but there is still no good reason NOT to address D deficiency.

19 hours ago, Backthatvaxup said:

The questions should not stop at vitamin D. Why is there no attempt at obesity prevention? Exercise? Outdoor activities (actually discouraged via lockdowns)? Diet? 

Nope. It’s all “take this magic pill rushed by pharma” 

Long term prevention is the key, and more and more we are gonna realize that means lifestyle changes and natural immunity and not quick and easy pills. The entire medical industry is obviously pill happy, for obvious reasons. Look who funds their education facilities. Heir paychecks also count on it. 

If your house is on fire, is that the time to install a sprinkler system?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

This is unlikely the main factor for two reasons.

One, the main source of vitamin D is sunlight (UV) and lack of sufficient exposure can arise for many reasons that are not related to poor health. Two, vitamin D can interact directly with the innate and adaptive immune systems, thus vitamin D can enhance the immune response in the absence of poor health. Some immune cells can produce their own active form of vitamin D [1,25(OH)2D] when needed.

So the observed deficiency and benefits of supplementation are there with or without poor health. Here is an interesting article with more than anyone wants to know about vitamin D.

The Relationship Between Vitamin D and Infections Including COVID-19

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Here is an interesting article with more than anyone wants to know about vitamin D.

"Dovepress" is a pay-to-be-published site, with pretty much zero scientific credibility.

The article you link to, according to that site, is described as "Review by Single anonymous peer review" - hardly an indication of a quality publication.

The editor who apparently approved it is an eye doctor, so has pretty much zero expertise in this area.

The corresponding author uses a hotmail email address, which is hardly reassuring.

In short:  rather than being "an interesting article", it's not worth reading.

19 hours ago, rabas said:

This is unlikely the main factor for two reasons.

One, the main source of vitamin D is sunlight (UV) and lack of sufficient exposure can arise for many reasons that are not related to poor health. Two, vitamin D can interact directly with the innate and adaptive immune systems, thus vitamin D can enhance the immune response in the absence of poor health. Some immune cells can produce their own active form of vitamin D [1,25(OH)2D] when needed.

So the observed deficiency and benefits of supplementation are there with or without poor health. Here is an interesting article with more than anyone wants to know about vitamin D.

The Relationship Between Vitamin D and Infections Including COVID-19

There's likely a feedback loop and of course Vitamin D, like any other vitamin is essential to good health.  If someone is deficient then of course a supplement is necessary. But ordinarily, as you say, Vitamin D is acquired easily through natural sunlight, and therefore a lack of this vitamin could be an indicator of a more pernicious health issue.  Thus, popping a few pills is unlikely to be the answer to covid19 for instance.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 11:22 AM, Jingthing said:

It's a theory but there is still no good reason NOT to address D deficiency.

Well of course not, but imo don't necessarily expect it to work against covid, since the deficiency was likely caused by a more serious health issue.

One exception could be dark skinned people in places like UK, where sunlight can be limited and their uptake naturally limited.

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Well of course not, but imo don't necessarily expect it to work against covid, since the deficiency was likely caused by a more serious health issue.

One exception could be dark skinned people in places like UK, where sunlight can be limited and their uptake naturally limited.

No.

There are many exceptions.

I listed them before.

Nobody is saying D is any kind of panacea.

Its more like there's very little downside, it might help, so why not?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

There are many exceptions.

I listed them before.

Nobody is saying D is any kind of panacea.

Its more like there's very little downside, it might help, so why not?

Ok.

But in all honesty I didn't say there was a downside JT, and I didn't advise against taking Vit D as a supplement.