Advice on what to do with retirement fund?

3 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

I agree that this is excellent advice, however a new self-investor has got to be mentally prepared for the inevitable downturns, with a strategy in place to either ride it out, have cash-equivalent reserves to draw instead of cashing out at market lows, and be able to do some prudent (not kneejerk) rebalancing from time to time.  

I agree.

I tell my clients you do not lose money when the market has a downturn.

They only lose money during a panic sell.

14 hours ago, Robin said:

Talk to your bank;  They will have an 'asset management' department that will look after your money.  I did this with my UK bank when I inherited my parents house.  Sold it and out money in the bank.  Since then they have achieved capital gain of about 4% p.a  + dividends.  

They should also be able to tell you how to get income from your money with minimum tax payment.

Cannot speak for OZ tax rules, but I know from experience in UK that there are experts in this field who do a good job.  Nott too sure if any are regular contributors to Thai Visa.

Remember:  "If it sounds too good to be true, it most probably is."

i would seriously advise you not to speak to your bank, far better speak to an independent financial advisor, preferably someone recommended by a friend.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i would seriously advise you not to speak to your bank, far better speak to an independent financial advisor, preferably someone recommended by a friend.

amen to that, banks have a terrible record managing assets for their clients,

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

I agree that this is excellent advice, however a new self-investor has got to be mentally prepared for the inevitable downturns, with a strategy in place to either ride it out, have cash-equivalent reserves to draw instead of cashing out at market lows, and be able to do some prudent (not kneejerk) rebalancing from time to time.  

Dollar cost average invest 1/4 of the money every 6-12 months. Wait for the dips.

I like this guys channel, i've got some good tips from him. Very conservative and safe investing with Chuck,

3 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Dollar cost average invest 1/4 of the money every 6-12 months. Wait for the dips.

At least one recent reputable study, reported by CNBC, has shown that lump-sum investing is a more successful strategy than dollar-cost averaging.  Here is the reference:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/which-investment-strategy-is-better-lump-sum-or-dollar-cost-averaging.html

Paul Laew

• Like 1

Just now, KannikaP said:

Isn't that what I said?

Question mark at the end of my statement. I was asking you if you really thought 16k was not much. I do.... I think you were saying 8% of 200k not much. Wish it would fall in my lap right about now

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

all the experts here boosting how much they get or little, but zero actual information, what fund, what ETF, or is that all secret or can actually be fact checked...  I have too much money in the bank, my home country give peanuts, and thai banks , a lot of THAI ONLY crap, even when I lived here 10+ years and banking with them, still wanting a certificate from immigration or embassy, for opening a savings account, like... wth