I'm not in hot water, yet.....

BeerMoney

I do not want any flexible hoses or blue pipe exposed. Simply a single, fixed shower head, western-style, with all plumbing in the wall.

In the US, white PVC is for cold water, CPVC for hot. Is the blue here dual purpose, or do I need the red -dashed metal flex all the way from the heater through the (volume only) valve and to the shower head?

This is a remodel so openings will be cut to insert pipe, strap over, then fill with concrete.

Thanks-

18 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does it matter WHAT the colour of the pipe is if it is going to be covered over?

Blue PVC is only rated for approx 65c, if going over that Green PPR pipe!

edit: I just read that PPR is only rated at 70c but will last a lot longer then blue pvc

https://www.flowguard.com/blog/the-effects-of-hot-water-on-cpvc-and-ppr-piping

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, warrima said:

95c on the thaiwatsadu product page details. 

Apparently there are 3 kinds of them

3-60c Economy

3-95c  High Pressure

and 3-95c durable

spacer.png

Edited by MJCM

Yeah, the green is the proper stuff, but of course it needs special kit to install, it's heat-fused rather than glued.

I will say that both our upstairs showers are plumbed in the blue stuff (didn't know about the green at the time) and are giving no trouble after 10 years. Says he, quickly finding some wood to touch :whistling:

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Blue PVC is only rated for approx 65c, if going over that Green PPR pipe!

edit: I just read that PPR is only rated at 70c but will last a lot longer then blue pvc

https://www.flowguard.com/blog/the-effects-of-hot-water-on-cpvc-and-ppr-piping

How hot do you have your shower?   LOL

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How hot do you have your shower?   LOL

It's not how hot you like your shower but what temperature the pipes in the house can handle.

If you have a leak in a pipe which is embed in concrete or on your ceiling because the water that flows through it is to hot, have fun fixing it!! LOL

Edited by MJCM

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

It's not how hot you like your shower but what temperature the pipes in the house can handle.

Why have water at 65-70 flowing around your house?

And the OP was simply about a single shower.

Edited by KannikaP

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why have water at 65-70 flowing around your house?

I don't! But it's possible and you have those Mixing Tabs that are rated for those temperatures!

Edit: And I am just trying to help the OP!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And the OP was simply about a single shower.

Oke yes you are right.

But IMHO in a House embed in concrete (or NOT) and HOT water running through it you, don't want PVC Blue Pipe. But as said that is just me!

It's up to you if you want that / do that, but there is a better option for that which will last longer and is a lot more durable then Blue PVC pipe!

• Like 1

I have done the vast majority of the pipework on our house exposed.  If you plan carefully where you run the pipes it doesn't have to be ugly.  Much of it runs around the outside walls of the house just below the ceilings of the verandah which is on all sides.

PVC pipe and jointing systems do not seem to have anything like the lifespan of copper pipe with brazed joints.

The original pipework, generally under-specified, is still buried in the walls and under the floors.

With exposed pipework it is easy to see the leaks and fix them and also easy to make changes to the water system.

We bought the house secondhand.  There was no way I was going to start smashing up walls or the, beautifully done, granite floor trying to find a water leak in the original pipework.   

6 hours ago, In the jungle said:

braze type only IIRC

Just a correction, virtually no domestic copper water pipe is brazed it is all soldered. The difference being the filler metal and temperature. Solder is usually tin-led, brazing uses BCuZn, brass (copper-zinc). BAg, silver alloy or CuP, copper-phosphorus. The temperature is under soldering or over 450oC

AC fitters may use brazing IDK.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1