Which country’s COVID policy is the best model for Thailand?

Marvest

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

The ones which are WIDE open with zero restrictions and no Covidiocy nonsense. Those that have had it... said enoughs enough and gotta learn to live with it. Any other is another mistake in 2 years of mistakes. 

Please name ten nations with zero covid restrictions that are wide open. OK not ten just a few.

Edited by The Hammer2021
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marvest said:

Right.  UK and other European countries have already come down from a sharp peak in omicron.  Denmark is a trailblazer in ditching coronavirus restrictions.  If Thailand eases restrictions after their omicron peak, they will be like many other nations.

Yet those other countries still had their businesses open throughout because they already know Omicron is not as lethal, Denmark's peak may not even be there yet either. Like I said, hardly one step ahead of WHO and other countries as they claimed to be.

Edited by Bkk Brian

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yet those other countries still had their businesses open throughout because they already know Omicron is not as lethal, Denmark's peak may not even be there yet either. Like I said, hardly one step ahead of WHO and other countries as they claimed to be.

Agree.  Thailand claiming they are a step ahead of all other countries is hyperbole.

• Like 1

I think I am right in saying that China, with the greatest population in the world and only 25,000 more infections than the initial 80,000 in two whole years, must rate pretty highly. And the figures we know of suggest lower than 5,000 deaths.

Yes, I know, we can't believe the figures but this is probably true of most countries whether by manipulation or other factors involving the collection of statistics.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Stop spouting Chinese propaganda. They lie about everything. Likely more than 80,000 died in the initial outbreak, while they report only 80,000 infected.

I covered that point in my comment. Please take account of it. MY comment compares the statistics from all countries that may be true or not and for whatever reasons.

I am not in favour of much that is Chinese and I consider myself to be impartial in what I have written.

Likely (actually), you spout your own automatic prejudice and anti-chinese opinion without evidence. You don't know the facts! And neither do I!

• Like 2

I'm more of Thailand should be the model for other countries.  Done everything correct, except reopening, was their only mistake.  Keeping schools closed doesn't help anyone.  

Until that / reopening, death count was minimal.  More died on the roads in 2 or 3 days.  ~100 +/-, then then they reopened and we're at 22+k now.

Should bring back 16 day quarantine & open all the schools.  Keep everything else the same.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Omicron is a game changer- if a country can't accept a modicum of extra deaths, as with a flu epidemic, then there's nothing to do but remain in lockdown and splendid isolation.  And you know what?.... that might suit a few important people.

I’m in Thailand, looking around I find myself asking, where’s this lockdown you are bleating on about?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm more of Thailand should be the model for other countries.  Done everything correct, except reopening, was their only mistake.  Keeping schools closed doesn't help anyone.  

Until that / reopening, death count was minimal.  More died on the roads in 2 or 3 days.  ~100 +/-, then then they reopened and we're at 22+k now.

Should bring back 16 day quarantine & open all the schools.  Keep everything else the same.

No, their big mistake was the delay in getting hold of vaccines. And preferring to pay at least twice as much for the Sinovac vaccine as they would have paid for the Astra Zeneca vaccine as soon as it was available. Instead, they preferred to wait for a Thai company to be able to manufacture the AZ vaccine thus delaying its advent by months.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Tourism in the case of Thailand- 20% of GDP

Imagine if China suffered such a blow to its manufacturing, Uk to its financial sector, etc.

Over estimated and over simplistic.

Pre-COVID Tourism represented around 18% of Thailand’s GDP, which in 2020 dropped to just under 7%.

Not all tourism sectors have been equally impacted, where I live hotels and restaurants were fully booked through the winter high season, these were of course Thai domestic tourists but an indication of how large a part they play in the whole of the Thai tourism industry.

Also of note, upmarket resorts and hotels were also fully booked, Thai tourists also fill the high spend sub-sector of tourism.

I also have doubts over income reported from many businesses in ‘foreign facing’ tourism businesses, particularly bars, many of which are in my opinion not surviving on the basis of real income, though doubtless reporting profits.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

We need to put these claims of destroying the economy/industry into perspective.

I was working in Thailand during the 97~98 financial crisis and currency crash. Nobody who witnessed that can reasonably claim COVID, lockdowns, isolation has come anywhere near destruction wrought by that financial crisis.

I’ve also been in Thailand throughout the COVID Pandemic. Putting aside one month of lockdown and the minor inconvenience of face masks I’ve not come across any restrictions that I personally did choose to impose on myself.

Thailand has had a relatively easy ride through COVID.

The Government could have done many things better but I feel very fortunate to have been able to sit it out here, rather than elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, Marvest said:

Agree... going forward.  England is ahead of Thailand and past their peak on the omicron spike.  Thailand should remove restrictions once they get past the peak.  I think they will.

Sorry took post off as it is off topic. I should have realised that the topic is only about how countries are handling the pandemic.

Edited by possum1931

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

"Should bring back 16 day quarantine" ????????????????????

New Zealand has to be admired with its no nonsense country closure and low delta covid infection rates . As things stand , omicron is all but unstoppable and thus restrictions or lock downs are achieving little . Chinese tactics of zero covid toleration ( now being imposed on Hong Kong ) are making a big dent in its economy , however I will not be surprised to see Thailand's future covid actions being similar to those of its master , China .  

40 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Should bring back 16 day quarantine" ????????????????????

Self explanatory, as I remember people tested positive 11th day of quarantine, when it was mandatory 2 week quarantine in the beginning.  Before the silly Sandbox.

https://www.mtu.edu/news/2020/09/i-have-to-quarantine-for-how-long-and-other-covid19-questions-answered.html

"The virus can take between two and 14 days for someone to develop symptoms or test positive from the time they are exposed. This is called the incubation period. Many factors impact the range of the incubation period. If you were exposed on Monday the 1st and had a COVID-19 test on the 5th, only about half the people who are infected will have a positive test or have symptoms at that time. Just because you test negative on day five does not mean that you are not infected; you could still test positive up to 14 days after the exposure."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Self explanatory, since people tested positive 14 days after exposure.

https://www.mtu.edu/news/2020/09/i-have-to-quarantine-for-how-long-and-other-covid19-questions-answered.html

"The virus can take between two and 14 days for someone to develop symptoms or test positive from the time they are exposed. This is called the incubation period. Many factors impact the range of the incubation period. If you were exposed on Monday the 1st and had a COVID-19 test on the 5th, only about half the people who are infected will have a positive test or have symptoms at that time. Just because you test negative on day five does not mean that you are not infected; you could still test positive up to 14 days after the exposure."

I take your point in what you have said, but it is well past the time the country should be opening up. this Junta wants these restrictions and insurance scams to continue for their own financial ends.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I take your point in what you have said, but it is well past the time the country should be opening up. this Junta wants these restrictions and insurance scams to continue for their own financial ends.

Maybe you should ask the Thais -

On the question of whether the lockdown should continue, 74% replied “yes”. Of that percentage, 26% said the lockdown should continue but with stricter measures to prevent people from travelling and gathering. 26% said it should continue but the measures should be eased as some people have already been vaccinated. 21% said the lockdown should continue the way it was going as the measures were appropriate.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/poll-shows-many-thai-residents-dont-think-the-lockdown-has-been-successful

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

On the question of whether the lockdown should continue, 74% replied “yes”. Of that percentage, 26% said the lockdown should continue but with stricter measures to prevent people from travelling and gathering. 26% said it should continue but the measures should be eased as some people have already been vaccinated. 21% said the lockdown should continue the way it was going as the measures were appropriate.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/poll-shows-many-thai-residents-dont-think-the-lockdown-has-been-successful

Your link is not working, but I am not sure I believe this poll anyway.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

To be fair this poll was carried out end of August last year when delta cases and deaths were at their peak, Omicron is en entirely different beast being less virulent and the higher vaccination rates. It would be interesting to rerun that poll now and see what the results would be.

• Like 2