Retirement in Thailand for low and mid level budget expats -- is the party really over?

Jingthing

2 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Fair enough, but when I retired here 7 years ago people were blaming Yinluk for raising the minimum wage to THB 300 a day, now we are talking about 500 a day, so if I am not wrong that's a 66%, which will be reflected in the cost of living in due course. I let you ponder over how this will affect the lifestyle of those living here with UK or OZ state pensions.

Those on pensions complaining about the cost of living going up due to the minimum wage being raised from 9 USD to 15 USD a day are on another planet.

Sorry your beer changs may go up in price as some of the locals struggle to bring up families.

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

Those on pensions complaining about the cost of living going up due to the minimum wage being raised from 9 USD to 15 USD a day are on another planet.

Sorry your beer changs may go up in price as some of the locals struggle to bring up families.

Jeez man what are you raving about? Was only stating a fact, consistent with the OP's headline: "The party is over". 

And I don't drink the Chang urine, but I wonder what condition can make you so grumpy? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Jeez man what are you raving about? Was only stating a fact, consistent with the OP's headline: "The party is over". 

And I don't drink the Chang urine, but I wonder what condition can make you so grumpy? 

Not grumpy, just putting your selfishness into context. Begrudging a 200 baht (6USD) pay increase as it may affect your pension.........

Edited by sungod

7 hours ago, robblok said:

How are visa's harder to get by did they change the 800k retirement rule that has been there for ages ?

I think not so its not harder its the same as before.

As for western food, that might be more expensive but i notice it hardly as i make my own food. Sure last year when i ordered foor from grab every day an it was 800-1000bt per day it was expensive. But it does not have to be expensive if you make your own food.

So it really depends on what you expect and want.

So go to the wetmarket for everything you eat, or you never buy any western groceries whatsoever? You need more than 800K Now to live on the 800K retirement option. Half of it is now frozen for all time, and the rest is untouchable for almost half the year, it's a freaking scam. Glad I went home with my Thai other half and "unretired" myself. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, chalawaan said:

So go to the wetmaeket for everything you eat, or you never buy any western groceries whatsoever?

I go to makro, but basically, I eat a huge bowl of salad for one meal with chicken and oats in the morning and in between some bread with something (usually with chicken too) . Plus some fruits of course. But compared to my 800-1000bt a day when i bought all my food from restaurants its cheap.

I changed my diet a while back wanting to eat healthy again but i refused to pay 200+baht for a small salad with almost no chicken or other meat. Since then I just made my own salads and marinaded my own chicken.  I also at times buy some Potatoe wedges from paleo robbie. But not that often, might try to make those myself too. 

But it all depends what you think is a lot of money for food. 

• Like 1

How do you NOT enact privilege when you have more money and freedom? The Khmer Rouge had a solution, but it didn't work out.

Privilege is usually randomly distributed. Why aren't I better looking and stronger? Why wasn't I born into a non-white trash family? I demand a recount.

How do Thais NOT enact privilege over Myanmar and Lao migrant workers? Do Chinese tourists ever worry about enacting privilege while en route to the seafood buffet? By ascribing western values to non-western people, the author is guilty of what she is criticizing others about.

Who on earth is more privileged than a job-secure English academic?

If people like Thailand for the supposedly wrong reasons, how does that make Thai people any worse off? If we think things about them that are untrue, do they lose any sleep over that? Do Thai and Lao people think things about us that are likewise wrong?

If those old Swiss liberals told young Thai women to learn to eat with a knife and fork to up their employment odds and keep using birth control, aren't these among the most agreed upon progressive goals? 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, robblok said:

i never said all American's were lying but im pretty sure it happened. So if you have the money what is the problem about moving it ? The only problem I see is the one time hit in exchange rate. But over the years that is not too bad. 

Yes, only Americans have lied about this.

It amazes me the hate for Americans on these threads. 

3 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Yes, only Americans have lied about this.

It amazes me the hate for Americans on these threads. 

I am amazed with the sensitivity of some Americans. No hatred at all, but seems any comment is classified as hatred. No hatred at all. I could not care less where people are from. Can you point out where I said only Americans ? 

• Like 1

There are millions of people living worldwide that are up to their eyeballs in debt...some, not all, have little or no financial acumen, no abilitity to discern between what they want and what they need, and get sucked into buying all kinds of overpriced stuff through some strange desire to stroke their ego, keep up with the neighbors or from just plain lack of coherent budgeting and control .

I have always found thailand to be very much more affordable than most other countries IF IF you can practice a bit of discipline and learn to live more like a local, forget about western food, forget about chasing the star of the bar, etc.   Rents and repairs alone in Thailand are generally available at a fraction of the cost of similar in western countries.  I have zero doubt that i could live til the end of my days quite comfortably in Thailand on what some would consider a relatively meager budget.

If you want to live a western lifestyle spending $$ like a drunken sailor then don't be surprised when someday you realize you are broke. 

• Like 1

Agreed that Americans can be too sensitive to any kind of criticism. Most of Euro-land has a culture of bar stool teasing that is just that, not anti-American sentiment.

I lived in England during the Iraq War that England got conned into participating in. So my skin is properly thickened.

For a hospice charity event, I wore a George Bush Mask inside a cage and invited people to throw old fruit and veg at me. Quite the earner. No way would Americans have the nerve to throw stuff at a Putin impersonator.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pravda said:

Healthcare costs for expats will be going through the roof. Thai insurance can not be trusted. 

Personally one thing I can't stand about Thailand is what most expats gloat over. Food. I just can't eat the slop they serve on the street and at the supermarkets. The only solution is to cook yourself, but I hate cooking here. No dishwasher, too hot, major lack of ingredients.

The healthcare costs are definitely more concerning given that Thai insurance's reputation has taken a significant hit with their recent refusals of COVID coverage.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the availability of quality food from vendors.  My Thai family members with long term residence in the community where we live know where to buy good to excellent street/take out food at very reasonable prices.

There are 4 sources (YOK, CM Bakermart, Rimping and Tops) close to us with wide selections of foreign ingredients.  Certainly some are pricier than back home (Can. + US) but the very cheap local produce and fruit will more than compensate for that.

Sounds like you need to do your own footwork and find the better food vendors.

You also need to know more about Thai food.  How many Thai dishes do you know well enough to list most of the major ingredients?  Thai food is incredibly diverse.

OMG, no dishwasher?  How have you survived?

Edited by gamb00ler

The article seems based on speculation and click bait subjects. Read the article a few times and seemed to be an opinion piece, not news.  No facts to back up assumptions. The statement "Elderly retirees (Thai or other country?) acting privilege over local people because of their superior wealth" then go into a few paragraphs down without transition to those that can't afford healthcare?

Thailand will never become close to being Singapore is what it seems to be gearing for.  It seems the things that attracted people to Thailand are diminishing such as street food and no hassle.  Who needs another Tokyo, Honolulu or Singapore, just go there! Hawaii has better beaches, Tokyo nightlife or Singapore safety.  In any of the aforementioned places less danger on the road. 

I don't live in Pattaya but here are my opinions:

-"Elderly retirees enacting privilege over local people because of their superior wealth".  I find that expat retirees (some not elderly) where I live are supportive and active in the community.  I find it to be the exact opposite of what the author stated where I live and those acting privilege are not foreigners.

-As far as "Thai lawyers these days deal more these days with post-mortem probate than about how to get married here" goes to previous regimes success about keeping families together plus keeping money in the country. 

A few more generalizations that are not worth responding to but the overweight go-go dancers comment made me laugh. Must have been on Soi 6 doing research lol!  This must be just a Pattaya problem for sure. 

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Elderly retirees enacting privilege over local people because of their superior wealth.”"

BTW...this is culturally embedded in Thai society. Those with greater wealth act in a superior way to those with less.