Retirement in Thailand for low and mid level budget expats -- is the party really over?

Jingthing

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

You mean that Americans finally have to show money in the bank like ordinary people. Not just swear they have it. So what is the problem if you had that money then you could park it in Thailand. If you did not have it you lied.

Of course there will be all the excuses its tied up, ect ect. Other nationalities had the same problems but moved their money anyway.  

Very true.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No!

The assertion that all or most Americans that were using the letters before were lying is a disgusting lie. 

This is true, most Americans here seem to be on fat Government and Military pensions.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If you use the 800,000/year or 65,000/month (baht) requirement for a Retirement extension, that is a good measure of what should be considered a minimum for a relatively comfortable life here.   If you own your home and are debt free, you can be very comfortable with that amount, certainly in comparison with the equivalent amount in the UK where the costs of local taxes, utilities, fuel for vehicles etc would leave very little left for 'luxuries'.   Health and social benefits of course have to be taken into consideration, being expensive here for the former, and zero existence for the latter.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mokwit said:

This is true, most Americans here seem to be on fat Government and Military pensions.

I am a quadruple "dipper" of Government annuities, having worked 45 years in one US Govt Agency or other and own property in 3 countries, including Thailand - some of us are just smarter than the average retiree. but I don't get your drift ............., Peace

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Since when?. UK people can use that method.

(Well this one can!)

OK.

Getting into the weeds here.

Combo method was always complex.

For those of us that can't get income letters anymore the complexity is multiplied.

There needs to be a monthly import and bank account for such people.

The qualification levels are confusing.

Surely not all offices will even accept combo.

The Integrity Legal.lawyer guy recently said combo was finished. 

You're saying at least for your office you can do.it  OK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

I retired here with my Thai wife and son when i retired in the UK and we came back here,so what category am i in ?

You could read the article and find out:

Practising privilege. How settling in Thailand enables older ...

Much of what is said has been said on these pages, but she interprets and presents it........"differently":

"Men who do not have access to the money that enables them to purchase full and ‘successful’ lives of travel, sports, and sex, find relocation to countries such as Thailand a way to achieve ‘success’ thus defined."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Healthcare costs for expats will be going through the roof. Thai insurance can not be trusted. 

Personally one thing I can't stand about Thailand is what most expats gloat over. Food. I just can't eat the slop they serve on the street and at the supermarkets. The only solution is to cook yourself, but I hate cooking here. No dishwasher, too hot, major lack of ingredients.

If I wasn't married I'd be going back to Serbia instead of Canada.

Good choice on Serbia, there won't be any food on supermarket shelves soon in Canada, truckers are honking instead of hauling ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Not all retirees would live in a place like Pattaya so what you're  angle.

How ever, it true for anywhere in Tghailand for those on fixed, low, medium income and on retirement extensions.

1 hour ago, grain said:

I'm currently in Pattaya for a few days, first time here in close to 3 years, and yes, the grandads are sure here in large numbers, can't say I've noticed many of the younger monger guys who used to come in droves, nor any family groups, just all those grandads walking around in their shorts & singlets & sandals. I guess it's easier for them, being over 50 and getting retirement exts, and having pensions. 

Yeah the retired guys I know have a small state pension, a company private pension and some rent out property back in the UK. Its cheap to live here. A live in companion is about 10 to 15 k if required. Dining out is cheap even at western restaurants. Many are enrolled on dating apps which keeps them occupied.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

How ever, it true for anywhere in Tghailand for those on fixed, low, medium income and on retirement extensions.

The thread makes no sense to me mention Pattaya and Retirement.

As for the mention of superior wealth that's funny many Thais where I live by comparison I'm very poor. ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah the health care is probably the biggest issue for most.

Well that's the issue for many of us.

You read many a thread from American Vets who have Tricare, and that's great it covers them in Thailand.

But for most without that safety net, private health insurance spirals out of control at 60, 70+.

That's when old and getting sick gets real, real fast!

Health care in Thailand can be as good as it gets, but it comes at a price, and for some that's a price too far!

It's at that point, well maybe higher housing cost, but I get medicare flips the equation somewhat

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Feminism has always had a jealous, sanctimonious puritanical view to act as substitute for genuine critical analysis. 

"Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." LOL

You don't need to hijack every topic to promote the right wing side of western culture wars. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well that's the issue for many of us.

You read many a thread from American Vets who have Tricare, and that's great it covers them in Thailand.

But for most without that safety net, private health insurance spirals out of control at 60, 70+.

That's when old and getting sick gets real, real fast!

Health care in Thailand can be as good as it gets, but it comes at a price, and for some that's a price too far!

It's at that point, well maybe higher housing cost, but I get medicare flips the equation somewhat

There are other retired expat destinations more suitable for the non wealthy other than Thailand.