Documents for converting 2 year to 5 year motorbike licence!

Card

I guess this question has come up many times but I can't find any posts and the regs do change over time:

What documents do I need to convert a 2 year to a 5 year motorbike licence?

Do I need to view a safety video and can this be done online and the results taken to the office?

What other tests are involved?

Thanks in advance.

The same documents are required as when getting the initial 2 year licence, with the exception of your home licence which is switched out for your two year licence. 

Thus: 

1) Passport ID Page

2) Existing 2 year licence

3) Proof of Address*

4) Medical Certificate 

*Residence letter from Immigration

*Affirmation of Residence from  Embassy

*Yellow Book / Pink ID (most DLT’s accept this, some do not).

You will do the same ‘indoor’ tests:

- Colour blindness test (Ishihara test)

- Puerperal colour test (red yellow or green lights to the side when looking in the ‘box’)

- Reaction test (sit on a char and hit the brake with the red light shines)

- Proximity test (two sticks)

- Then watch the 45m video** > this may have been eliminated due to covid and there may be a watch online option.

• Like 1

Your best to phone your local diving centre and ask. i recently renewed my driving licence after 17 years legally driving hear and was made to resit the full driving test despite previously having 3x 5 year and a 2 licence year. I was told farangs who need glasses have to do the full test.

This is Thailand the official be hide the desk is the boss, the rules are up to them.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The same documents are required as when getting the initial 2 year licence, with the exception of your home licence which is switched out for your two year licence. 

Thus: 

1) Passport ID Page

2) Existing 2 year licence

3) Proof of Address*

4) Medical Certificate 

*Residence letter from Immigration

*Affirmation of Residence from  Embassy

*Yellow Book / Pink ID (most DLT’s accept this, some do not).

You will do the same ‘indoor’ tests:

- Colour blindness test (Ishihara test)

- Puerperal colour test (red yellow or green lights to the side when looking in the ‘box’)

- Reaction test (sit on a char and hit the brake with the red light shines)

- Proximity test (two sticks)

- Then watch the 45m video** > this may have been eliminated due to covid and there may be a watch online option.

The documents listed here are correct, but there is an additional step.

Go to https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home Click on 'For Foreigner' and then create an account for yourself.

Log in and follow the instructions. You will have to watch a video and answer 3 multi-choice questions. Pay attention to the video because the answers are within.

Once you've successfully answered the questions you will be issued with an e- certificate which they'll want to see at DLT. It's valid for 6 months. I did read that some centers are asking for a paper copy so take one just in case. (that's Thailand 4.0 for you!)

The tests you have to take seem to vary from centre to centre, so be ready for anything. At Sakon Nakhon it was just traffic light colours and braking reaction speed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Go to https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home Click on 'For Foreigner' and then create an account for yourself.

Log in and follow the instructions. You will have to watch a video and answer 3 multi-choice questions. Pay attention to the video because the answers are within.

Once you've successfully answered the questions you will be issued with an e- certificate which they'll want to see at DLT. It's valid for 6 months. I did read that some centers are asking for a paper copy so take one just in case. (that's Thailand 4.0 for you!)

The tests you have to take seem to vary from centre to centre, so be ready for anything. At Sakon Nakhon it was just traffic light colours and braking reaction speed.

Great thx. I thought an online video might be involved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Is Sakon Immigration still charging 1000 tbh for Residence Cert?

3 hours ago, MajorTom said:

From my personal experience last year and a few other reports on here: I don't think there is a requirement for any training video when renewing from 2 to 5 years.

That may have been a recent change due to covid-19 regs or could be a location specific thing. 

At DLT Area 3 in Bangkok I had to sit the video when renewing from 2 year to 5 year (this was in Nov 2019).

I renewed my expired (1 month) car licence on Friday in rural Udon Thani.

Residence Certificate, 500b from Udon immigration (Should be free I know)

Medical Certificate, 80b from local clinic, 

Colour blind test with the traffic lights,

Reaction test with the accelerator/ brake pedal,

505b for 5 year licence, job done.

The updated government website has all the info needed.  

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/