Payment of electricity bills

Farang two dot zero

What would be the most practical and efficient way to pay my condo's monthly electricity bills knowing that I am only present in July and August?

I had a direct debit but they took the meter off me because my Bangkok Bank bank account had insufficient funds!

I know that there are PEA applications but can I use them from abroad to pay by credit card for example?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I have been using the "Smart Life" app to pay electric bills when not in Thailand and it works most of the time, but sometimes -- as with all online payments in Thailand -- it will mysteriously fail to process a foreign card.  So it's frustrating but it does work sooner or later, as with most things labeled "Smart" these days.

My backup plan is pretty much "have the GF pay it at Sewen" but that is also not foolproof.

On 2/13/2022 at 4:04 PM, scubascuba3 said:

If you have a Kasikorn account, select PEA, input account number and outstanding balance is shown once bill is available

Exactly what I have been doing with Kbank and MEA bills the last 12 years. Very reliable and easy from overseas. Op needs to ensure his Thai mobile has roaming activated (no cost) to receive any OTPs if needed. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, Farang two dot zero said:

Usually I never cut the electricity and the fridge works but since the pandemic it's been 3 years without electricity luckily I'll be back in July. I am at Bangkok Bank but I think I will change to go to Kasikorn Bank so it will be easier!

It is just as easy to do with Bangkok Bank.   Get the MEA SmartLife app - assuming MEA is your electrical provider (your Thai SIM does not need to be active or in roaming state, I do it with my US SIM when in the US, works fine).   When you get a new bill from MEA (through the SmartLife app), scan/copy the QR code from SmartLife bill, and past it into you Bangkok Bank app (under "Pay bills" --->   "Scan to pay").   The Bangkok Bank app also works fine on an overseas SIM card as well (no need to require roaming from your Thai provider).   Never failed for me in any month.  BTW - to setup the MEA SmartLife app, you will enter your account information which you can find on any paper bill.

3 minutes ago, tjintx said:

It is just as easy to do with Bangkok Bank.   Get the MEA SmartLife app - assuming MEA is your electrical provider (your Thai SIM does not need to be active or in roaming state, I do it with my US SIM when in the US, works fine).   When you get a new bill from MEA (through the SmartLife app), scan/copy the QR code from SmartLife bill, and past it into you Bangkok Bank app (under "Pay bills" --->   "Scan to pay").   The Bangkok Bank app also works fine on an overseas SIM card as well (no need to require roaming from your Thai provider).   Never failed for me in any month.  BTW - to setup the MEA SmartLife app, you will enter your account information which you can find on any paper bill.

If PEA is your provider, they have a PEA Smart Plus app, it might work similar to MEA's.

If you have Thai bank account with app on your phone, you can pay from there, or use your bank app to scan the QR code generated by the PEA/MEA's app without having to type in ref no.

this tends to work more reliably than paying through credit cards that goes to third party processor 

• 3 months later...