Thai woman wins World Snooker Championship - now Mink gets crack at the men on the main tour

webfact

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always wonder why sports like this are divided into women and men.

Additional strength makes no difference with snooker (at least I don't see how).

Why don't they all compete together?

I agree, sports where strength makes no difference there should not be any division. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Additional strength makes no difference with snooker (at least I don't see how).

They do. Its just that not many women have broken through yet. Maybe Mink will.

• Thanks 1

Well done MInk,  and congratulations, it's about the only way Sheffield is going to register on any sporting map.  Other than the world's oldest football club and the world's oldest football ground.

2 hours ago, Virt said:

Wouldn't be fair would it?

If the women competed in the same tournaments as the men in let's say dart and snooker, the women wouldn't win a lot of trophies/price money.

The sheer number of men competing in these sports would outnumber the women, and to win as much as the men would mean they have to be far superior in these sports.

Which they are not.

It would only lead to a very few women being in top 100, so for the most women it would mean lower price money, compared to what they make now.

For a woman like Mink it could lead to more money, but for most women it would lower their income.

Congrats to Mink ????????????

It's not easy playing snooker and i gave it up a long time ago.

I do enjoy a game of killer though ????

So your saying that because there are more men competing its harder for woman. I get that but the men playing there have to be exceptional too. If a game has no strenght element its fair then both need to be exceptional.

I do get your point though im not completely dismissing it as it certainly has merit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

So your saying that because there are more men competing its harder for woman. I get that but the men playing there have to be exceptional too. If a game has no strenght element its fair then both need to be exceptional.

I do get your point though im not completely dismissing it as it certainly has merit. 

It's hard to know until the ratio is 50/50, but some women played against the men.

As far as i know it's possible for women to enter the mens snooker tour.

Didn't Evans and Un-Nooh participate in a few tours with the men in the last couple of years?

7 minutes ago, Virt said:

It's hard to know until the ratio is 50/50, but some women played against the men.

As far as i know it's possible for women to enter the mens snooker tour.

Didn't Evans and Un-Nooh participate in a few tours with the men in the last couple of years?

Sorry i dont know much about snooker, i hardly watch any sports prefer to exercise myself.

But some woman are quite strong my gf for instance is doing almost the same deadlifts and benchpress as a guy we train with. Though that guy is not really strong nor is he consistent. Running wise GF leaves me in the dust. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I agree, sports where strength makes no difference there should not be any division. 

There's a difference in snooker, woman are generally smaller which makes them require a rest on more shots, therefore it's a disadvantage to them against generally bigger men.

Also for certain types of shots more power is required which some woman would not have ( although shots like this are not frequently played ).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai snooker superstar Nutcharat Wongharuthai - known by her nickname of Mink - has won the Women's World Snooker Championship in Sheffield in England. 

Good luck to her, to win at that levels shows talent and dedication.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Quite. It is so dated. Thailand should learn from the west that there is no need for women's and men's teams. Allowing each participant to decide their own gender is of course much fairer, and it allows real and inspirational stars like swimming champion Lia Thomas to emerge who would have never seen the limelight under the old fashioned rules. Time to modernize Thailand. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

There's a difference in snooker, woman are generally smaller which makes them require a rest on more shots, therefore it's a disadvantage to them against generally bigger men.

Also for certain types of shots more power is required which some woman would not have ( although shots like this are not frequently played ).

Very good appraisal. Players will always prefer to take a shot without using a rest whenever possible which, like you say, gives the big lads the advantage. Especially against small Asian ladies!

I was very impressed by the way she won this tournament. To take the game from 3-5 down to a 6-5 win on the black takes real cool nerves and lots of determination.

Well done young lady. Love snooker always played down a club in East London in the 90s. Grew up with Ronnie o' Sullivans uncles and seeing him at 12 years old clearing the table.

She going to be a big star young mink.

Edited by DaveE13

4 hours ago, BostonRob2 said:

That's what I thought when i woke up this morning and saw the story on the BBC sports pages. So I wrote this.

Snooker is one of my favorite sports and I intend to go and interview Mink when she returns to Thailand. Her club is just around the corner from where I live. 

Cheers, Rooster. 

Great to hear that. She a real star in the making