Buying a car in your own name?

PAV123

Can someone slowly explain to me what papers I need and the procedure for registering a car / motorcycle in my own name?
Only answer if you know the steps, do not answer if you partially know or think you know.
I now only have a 90-day visa, but will apply for a pension when I return to my home country for a shorter period.
I rent an apartment if it matters. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One key document....   Proof of Address...

This comes in the form off any of the following: 

- Affirmation of Residence letter (from Embassy)

- Certificate of Residence / Address (from Immigration)

- Yellow Tabien Baan house book

Simple method. 

Pay cash for the vehicle / bike.

Give the dealer your Proof of ID and Address document - they do the rest. 

Exactly what you need.   

BUT.  This could be difficult because you only have 90 Day Visa. You obviously will not have Yellow Tabien Bahn house book.

Immigration will not give you a Certificate of Residence unless you have done at least one 90 day report.

Not all Embassies will provide an Affirmation of Residence letter - I know that neither the Australian or German  Consulates will do them. Hopefully you are from somewhere else and your Embassy can help you. 

Good Luck ????

16 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Exactly what you need.   

BUT.  This could be difficult because you only have 90 Day Visa. You obviously will not have Yellow Tabien Bahn house book.

Immigration will not give you a Certificate of Residence unless you have done at least one 90 day report.

Not all Embassies will provide an Affirmation of Residence letter - I know that neither the Australian or German  Consulates will do them. Hopefully you are from somewhere else and your Embassy can help you. 

Good Luck ????

Ops question is incomplete to provide a specific answer.

Important factors are : Location / Nationality / Visa type / New or Second hand vehicle. 

• Like 1

It simply up to the Imm office, if they'll issue the letter of residence.  Some will, and apparently, we read, some won't.  The rest is easy.  

If you're not going to be here, then personally I'd wait until your return.  Things change, sh!t happens.

On 2/16/2022 at 2:22 AM, KhunLA said:

It simply up to the Imm office, if they'll issue the letter of residence.  Some will, and apparently, we read, some won't. 

This is misleading IMHO. If you reside here full-time, have a visa and do 90 day reports, yes, they do issue a Certificate of Residence for a nominal fee (200 if I remember correctly). This takes anywhere between 7 and 14 days to print and post to your address. "Express service" (= print and sign the same day) costs between 500 (out in the sticks) and 1,000 (BKK) under the table. I have needed these certificates on many occasions and have never had a single problem getting one. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, djayz said:

This is misleading IMHO. If you reside here full-time, have a visa and do 90 day reports, yes, they do issue a Certificate of Residence for a nominal fee (200 if I remember correctly). This takes anywhere between 7 and 14 days to print and post to your address. "Express service" (= print and sign the same day) costs between 500 (out in the sticks) and 1,000 (BKK) under the table. I have needed these certificates on many occasions and have never had a single problem getting one. 

Not at all ... unless of course, you've been to every Imm office recently.  I 'personally know' people that have been issued CoR on a tourist visa and purchased MBs.  One office I dealt with very early on, my first CoR was maybe 100 baht (22 yrs ago), issued as I sat there.   Years later they then changed to 300 (no receipt) issued as you wait or 600 if wanting a receipt, come back and p/u.

My experiences anyway.  As always, any given office, officer on any given day ... your experience may differ.

What they do now, I haven't a clue, and I simply get yellow books, easier & cheaper.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not at all ... unless of course, you've been to every Imm office recently.  I 'personally know' people that have been issued CoR on a tourist visa and purchased MBs.  One office I dealt with very early on, my first CoR was maybe 100 baht (22 yrs ago), issued as I sat there.   Years later they then changed to 300 (no receipt) issued as you wait or 600 if wanting a receipt, come back and p/u.

My experiences anyway.  As always, any given office, officer on any given day ... your experience may differ.

What they do now, I haven't a clue, and I simply get yellow books, easier & cheaper.

Fair enough. 

• Like 1

Officially you should have a Non O, Non. B etc visa or an extension - you should be living in Thailand. I know some offices allow other routes but I believe that's the rule.  I've registered 2 vehicles in my name using a 12 month Multi Entry Non O.  I'm guessing the local DLT have no idea what that visa is but anyway, I had no problems with it.