Poll: How do you treat incompetent service people that you realize are pitiful human beings?

Jingthing

Service is bad, but service person is a mess  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your personal example of a lady food delivery driver.

Could this perhaps be:

- The lady concerned has never seen any real form of food service and especially not at a professioanl level (not a criticism just a real possibility)? 

- And she's had no training whatever specific to food delivery to a residence?

- She just doesn't know what such customers want/expect from her actions?

All of the above not her fault.

• Like 2

Another possibility, whilst it may not apply everywhere, is that addresses here seldom follow any logical sequence. No.258 next to 759, or soi 4 next to Soi 15 as examples.

In the West they are usually very easy to locate, here, jeez I wouldnt like to try and find an address.This also explains mail delivery issues.

A bike delivery rider, probably records the delivery these days on GPS and would have little trouble returning but 1st time out, could be a pproble finding it may be ?

Just a thought to throw in the mix.

• Thanks 1

Guest Isaanlife

As a customer, you always have expectations that may cloud your judgement when they are not met. 

When that happens, you try to find blame.

Blaming the only person you come in contact with seems to be the norm.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

The majority of the time, unless you can watch the entire service experience unfold with your very eyes, you have NO clue what happened or what went on?

We only know our personal expectations were not met and we must blame someone.

I try to never look down on anyone trying to earn a living. Some people might have had a previous good job and forced into a menial job due to covid?

I try to have compassion and look at myself in that person's shoes. How hard it is just trying to make a few baht.

No one is perfect, sometimes are expectations are not met and it happens.

It is not really fair to blame without knowing the full story.

In the big picture of life, it that is the worst thing that happens, we will all be ok.

I usually live too far out for delivery services and even if not, mostly do my own foraging in the world..

I tend to be a good tipper though. These are not wealthy people who are looking for a career in the hospitality industry... there but for the grace of the universe go I.. and all that. 

• Like 2

Massive Problem in Thailand. 
Once this manifests itself I immediately & politely cut the person after payment and go elsewhere for service.

I do NOT try to fix the person or service or company or complain or not pay or claim compensation. I cut my losses and bypass the problem. 

Talking about very low value transactions not capital purchases or utilities.

• Like 2

Most Farangs not only come for the nice weather. Also the "laid back athmosphere" seems to appeal to Farangs. This laid back athmosphere manifests itself in many ways. "Work-Ethic" and western "Perfectionism" do not mix all that well with the overall laid back athmosphere.

Farangs living in Thailand think that they live in the "Kingdom of Thailand". Actually they live in "The Kingdom of MAY PEN RAI".

Bad service? Remedy: Give small tip, but tell the guy/girl "next time give better service and I give more tip". This will likely result in a  pleasant giggling/smiling orgie on both sides.

Compared to us pampered westerners, I consider most Thais as poor devils/pitiful human beings. A bit of leaniency is in order. May pen rai.

• Like 1

Mine in CNX is paying and expecting rounded change back ie

A bill was 65...i had 100 bill and 5 baht, so I gave her 105--expecting 40 baht change-no coins

I do this often or even tough ones to avoid 1 baht coins ie    68 so I give 73 to get rid of small coins and get 5 back etc,,,,,upgrade and damn u tesco with the satang rubbish....smh

The look on thais faces..even at places like 7-11 which the register will do the MATH for u...

• Like 1

Poor people are always light on having change to cash out a bill.

They get no change at the get-go, no one has change who they encounter, and poor people's own change has already been spent. You for instance, are baldly admiting that you have no change.

Where are they supposed to get this mythical change and on who's dime will they be doing this change errand?

Why don't you shake off your colonial mentality and go to the bank to have change lying around for THEM?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So instead of giving her a piece of my mind, giving her a one star rating, complaining about her to the company, I just shut my pie hole.

But I did NOT tip her as I generally do for even basically OK service.

I don't mean to upset you, but TiT, pride looms large and she has your address.

I wouldn't have tipped either and would have tried to get out of leaving a rating.

One day I was hanging out in Bkk with another expat.  We stopped at an exchange kiosk for him to exchange money.  The lad in the booth was chattering away on the phone.  My pal asked the lad a question, but he was too busy with his phone to answer.  The expat then told him to forget about it, to give him his dollars back.  He did.  I liked the way the expat handled that one, even though his predilection for controlling conversations and situations sometimes gives me the urge to strangle him.

Consider that most of the women who clean hotel rooms and make beds had never even seen that type of bed until they took the job.

Edited by bendejo

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Poor people are always light on having change to cash out a bill.

They get no change at the get-go, no one has change who they encounter, and poor people's own change has already been spent. You for instance, are baldly admiting that you have no change.

Where are they supposed to get this mythical change and on who's dime will they be doing this change errand?

Why don't you shake off your colonial mentality and go to the bank to have change lying around for THEM?

I really think you're reading too much into this. People that deal with many transactions daily usually can make change. I wasn't saying that all such people that say they don't have change are lying, but some are, and this is a well known tactic of service people all over the world to try to game a very large tip. I don't blame them. I think it's kind of cute and I would probably try the same thing.  But you had your fun to preach about colonialism and i wouldn't dream of denying you that pleasure. 

Anyway, I find paying and tipping by card makes this easier for both parties.

As far as having change myself, funny that you say that. I never said I don't have the change. I try to collect change so that I have it when I need it. There is a driver who works for a specific restaurant that comes frequently. He's always ready to change 1000 baht for me. I'm sure he suspects I have the change and that I'm "using" him to get change. Kind of like how people use 7-11 for change. But the thing is I always have a generous tip for him and give a very large tip like for new years. So we have an implied arrangement and I think both of us are good with it. Of course maybe he hates me and is spitting in my food. I guess to you that's so very colonial. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I really think you're reading too much into this. People that deal with many transactions daily usually can make change. I wasn't saying that all such people that say they don't have change are lying, but some are, and this is a well known tactic of service people all over the world to try to game a very large tip. I don't blame them. I think it's kind of cute and I would probably try the same thing.  But you had your fun to preach about colonialism and i wouldn't dream of denying you that pleasure. 

Anyway, I find paying and tipping by card makes this easier for both parties.

As far as having change myself, funny that you say that. I never said I don't have the change. I try to collect change so that I have it when I need it. There is a driver who works for a specific restaurant that comes frequently. He's always ready to change 1000 baht for me. I'm sure he suspects I have the change and that I'm "using" him to get change. Kind of like how people use 7-11 for change. But the thing is I always have a generous tip for him and give a very large tip like for new years. So we have an implied arrangement and I think both of us are good with it. Of course maybe he hates me and is spitting in my food. I guess to you that's so very colonial. 

What?  You started the thread!

26 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Since leaving America this thankfully hasn't been an issue. ????

Superior customer service is one of Thailand's strong points. 

I just don’t see this at all here. 

While staff are often friendly and somewhat playful the standard of service itself is very often poor. 

Ask a staff member about a product, a waitress about a dish and they’ll struggle to answer. 

Have a problems with something, wish to return a faulty item etc and we very quickly find that customer service is actually extremely poor and way behind. 

I would say that the standard customer service is most certainly not superior. That said the manner in which service is conducted is often friendlier and perhaps that is mistaken for better customer service. 

Edited by richard_smith237