Bangkok set for official change of name to "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon"

webfact

5 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You haven't read recent news stories, have you? The people run over while using zebra crossings... You really think none of them looked left and right?

Apparently they didn't, or not very well.

18 minutes ago, johncat1 said:

I wonder whose brilliant idea this is ? We can only guess can't we ? 

People still cannot pronounce the name of Bangkok's main airport Suvarnabhumi. ( me included )

The same as Nakhon Ratchasima is still called Korat by most people. 

The airport name pronunciation is something close to "Su a na punn" 

with the right tone, of course. 

4 hours ago, tingtongfarang said:

everyone will still call it bangkok

Exactly, not long before the pandemic I was in Vietnam waiting to go back to HCMC. Suddenly this guy appeared shouting Saigon, took a few minutes to sink in - the bus was coming.

4 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

How will this effect tourism?

It won't effect anything, nor will it affect anything. Not in a hundred years will the current common usage of Bangkok disappear in everyday usage. Name changes always crop up to detract from other issues. Do not underestimate the cost of such a change either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

bangkok is a name taken from thai language - means village of olive tree.

Krung thep is pali language, now only used by budhist monks (actually, most of monks don't understand meaning of recited words). Means in pali city of angels.

This language is much more extinct than Latin. All south european languages are based on latin and are close to each other, so for example italians are able understand some basic from partugese etc.

But pali based languages in India are so far apart, that they can comprehend each other. In the south india alone there are 720 different languages used by tribal populations

So Bangkok is getting an Indian name? Great news. Maybe it's part of the new Indian tourism drive, bubble, etc. Now all they need is a nice name in Chinese....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I live here now, so I guess that qualifies me as a lunatic, but I used to travel from the USA to BKK 3-4 times a year on business - through Tokyo. When getting on the plane in the USA the people were calm, lots of families, couples, friends and business people.  After a 3 hour layover in Narita, and waiting to get on the plane to BKK, the vibe had changed dramatically.  Strange people were next to me, the air had an edgy quality to it, things seemed oddly different.  You would realize you weren't in Kansas anymore.   It was great.  I loved it.  Couldn't wait to land at midnight and go outside of Don Mueang Airport and feel and smell the hot sticky air.  Those were the days.

What has changed, then? Same "strange" sexpats on board, "edgy" crims on the run, same queues you had at DMK you can now find at BKK, you can still feel the same hot sticky air, you can still land at midnight. And the rest of the asylum hasn't changed much either.

15 minutes ago, desert dueller said:

What has changed, then? Same "strange" sexpats on board, "edgy" crims on the run, same queues you had at DMK you can now find at BKK, you can still feel the same hot sticky air, you can still land at midnight. And the rest of the asylum hasn't changed much either.

The Asylum has changed a lot!

Quite a number of us have escaped lol  ????✈✈

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, desert dueller said:

Not what I was talking about.  You guys always talk about sexpats.  There is / was a lot more going  on then than the sexpats.  You guys are disgusting.  What I meant was  that there interesting vibe, unusual and exciting.  Lunatics welcome.  Why do I even comment on this forum?  I was talking about the old days and how nice it was.  I give up.

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

Well, I call it Burma; and not only Americans but many Europeans as well (Birmania and variants). In the Burman language, the name of the country was always pronounced something like “Myanma,” a word that designates the Burman ethnic majority just the same. And it’s my understanding that the country’s non-Burman minority groups reject “Myanmar” as the official English name because the change was effected by a military government whose legitimacy they often don’t accept, and they continue to use “Burma” when they’re speaking English or their own language. Even Aung San Suu Kyi, when speaking English, has continued to use “Burma.”

Many of us westerners call it Burma because the people are known as Burmese and due to the fact that the name was changed by a non elected regime. Many senior Burmese do the same as well as younger people that I know living & working abroad. 

• Like 2