Bangkok set for official change of name to "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon"

webfact

BKK is here to stay; same happened with Bombay to Mumbai (BOM), Calcutta to Kolkata (CCU), Rangoon to Yangon (RGN) or Saigon to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN). 
Changes for the sake of changes - normally rooted in having a new government leaving a stamp of their „achievements“ in aviation history but IATA‘s only known adjustment - to my limited and incomplete knowledge - was moving BKK from Don Muang (lateron changed to Don Meuang) to Souvannaphourmi whereas Don Meuang got a new code being DMK. 
Lets see what the wise leaders come up with next in the „back to the roots“ department! 

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Krung Tep would be a closer transliteration. The Thai obsession with the letter “H” is weird 

Surely the difference is in the position of the tongue, roof of mouth versus back of teeth. I suppose the difference isn't important to farang, who sometimes mispronounced words like 'suay' (wrong inflection) and totally mangle its meaning. ????

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

They think they can shake off the World Wide image people talk about wherever you go... ''Bangkok; oh yes, the Sex City of The World, one big Brothel and in the rest of the country people still live in Mud Huts with Straw Roof's don't they ? ''

Don't laugh; i've heard similar things said in many country's when people ask me where i live !    Another view you get when in Singapore or Malaysia,Taiwan etc is  ''Ah yes; Thailand, the Lunatic Asylum of South East Asia'' !

The Japanese refer to them as "the children of Asia"!

5 hours ago, TheScience said:

Ironically the Thais still call Bejing - Peking.

So does anyone who speaks English.  Just like the Englia=sh say Moscow, not Moscova, or as French speakers say Anvers while Flemish speakers say Antwerpen.  Just because the Chinese Communist Party wants something and the BBC is too craven to left wing ideologues to do anything but bow, there is no need to follow.

Lucky they didn't insist on the full name! 

Taximeter would probably tick over a few times by the time you got all this out????

"Krung thep mahanakhon amon rattanakosin mahinthara ayuthaya mahadilok phop noppharat ratchathani burirom udomratchaniwet mahasathan amon piman awatan sathit sakkathattiya witsanukam prasit"

(The City of Angels, the Great City, the Eternal Jewel City, the Impregnable City of God Indra, the Grand Capital of the World Endowed with Nine Precious Gems, the Happy City, Abounding in an Enormous Royal Palace that Resembles the Heavenly Abode where Reigns the Reincarnated God, a City Given by Indra and Built by Vishnukam).

• Haha 1