Bangkok set for official change of name to "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon"

webfact

14 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

On a side-note, are those arrival cards still required where you (had to) write your hotel and address into a small space? I used to write 'BKK' at the end of the address I was staying at. - How am I supposed to squeeze 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon' into the small space after the hotel address, or will the size of the forms change to A4?

Your new TM6 will become a "PTO",  to continue

• Haha 1

They really aren't changing it. That's the city's formal abbreviated name.

Here's the official name ...

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Will be interesting to see the new name on airport departure boards throughout the World.

Confusion reigns.!!

Bet 10000b the airport code remains BKK

I think Yangon might still be RGN lol

Edited by TheScience
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

A new name a new image. It will be followed by the eradication of all prostitution and the strict enforcement of the zebra crossing laws. 

If only they renamed zebra crossings to a Thai word, meaning 'Place on road where cars and motorbikes really really really have to stop, EVEN YOU, as people so disadvantaged that they don't have a car have to cross, named after a striped animal in Africa, called a zebra. Yes, no 'zebras' in Thailand, but STOP!'

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

It seems like far from what any priority should currently be and a waste of effort. It will definitely loose its identity to some internationals and being such a major tourist destination, the possible  confusion together with the authorities forever changing the already difficult entry and visa rules short term it could contribute to less tourists.

I guess this is an indication of what the authorities consider as a priority, poor timing to an already difficult time if you ask me!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Krungthepmahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathatiya Witsanukam Prasit.

All the " Run BKK " Tee Shirts will now be only in XXXXXL size to accommodate this City name.

Not quite the same is it ?

And what about booking an Airflight to >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

1 hour ago, TheScience said:

They all do...Pah-ma.

But tbh the Myanmarese (?) Call it Myanmar as well.

Burmese is the predominant language. Dozens more.

The American insistence to call it Burma is just stupid. The name was changed decades ago. There are dozens of ethnicities the nation hardly just belongs to the Burmese.

Well, I call it Burma; and not only Americans but many Europeans as well (Birmania and variants). In the Burman language, the name of the country was always pronounced something like “Myanma,” a word that designates the Burman ethnic majority just the same. And it’s my understanding that the country’s non-Burman minority groups reject “Myanmar” as the official English name because the change was effected by a military government whose legitimacy they often don’t accept, and they continue to use “Burma” when they’re speaking English or their own language. Even Aung San Suu Kyi, when speaking English, has continued to use “Burma.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

If only they renamed zebra crossings to a Thai word, meaning 'Place on road where cars and motorbikes really really really have to stop, EVEN YOU, as people so disadvantaged that they don't have a car have to cross, named after a striped animal in Africa, called a zebra. Yes, no 'zebras' in Thailand, but STOP!'

Or...people could actually take responsibility for themselves, AND look before crossing the street.

• Confused 1