USA bank will not allow expat American to have account

FACTOR

USAA 

It was originally only for military members so foreign addresses are normal for them.

I've used them for ages with a Thai address and recently changed to another country. Never

a problem using their Visa card or using WISE to transfer to Bangkok Bank or others. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amexpat said:

USAA 

It was originally only for military members so foreign addresses are normal for them.

I've used them for ages with a Thai address and recently changed to another country. Never

a problem using their Visa card or using WISE to transfer to Bangkok Bank or others. 

I’ve seen mixed reviews on USAA. One thing they did recently that lit up the message boards was to disallow new account opening if you live overseas. If you’ve already set up the account in the US, you can continue using it overseas, but once you are overseas you can’t make changes to the account or open additional accounts with them. This policy really strikes me as odd and has not gone over well with existing customers. It also begs another question in my mind — if they are making these kinds of weird, xenophobic changes… what’s next?

2 hours ago, ujongjoe said:

once you are overseas you can’t make changes to the account

OK.  I guess it was a very recent change. I changed my address less than a year ago. T'is pity, I've enjoyed having several accts and insurance with them over the decades. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 2:58 PM, FACTOR said:

I've just joined ACA, to eventually open an account with SDFCU

Might I inquire whether your attempt to secure an account with SDFCU proved successful?  The reason I ask is because I saw your posting and decided to apply as well.  So, I joined American Consumer Council on 2/25/2022 and immediately applied for an account with SDFCU.  With my original application, I uploaded several documents at their request.  Eight days after that, they sent me an email requesting additional details about my water bill; they were particularly interested in the date of the meter reading, the address field, and the name field.  I responded by uploading a detailed  translation and discussion about the various data items on my water bill.  My application is still PENDING, but I don't expect they will render a judgment for several more days.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:41 PM, ujongjoe said:

Among the military affiliated credit unions, Navy Federal really seems to be pulling ahead of the competition.

On 2/20/2022, I applied for an account with NAVY FCU, based upon my status as an Army Veteran from the 1960's.  I uploaded the documents they requested.  Ten days later, NAVY FCU sent me an email stating "MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION DENIED - Your application is not approved."  They gave no reason for the denial.  They invited me to appeal, which I did -- I sent an appeal and three followups with fotos of my water bill, electric bill, Social Security Card, IRA 1099, LMG Insurance Policy with my address, and various other photos demonstrating the veracity of my Thailand mailing address.  I'm waiting for their response to my appeal.