Leaky roof repair

Inderpland

dont know where you are but im pretty sure any big shops around you can do the magic. You would surprise that even some small shops can do it better than bigs.

If i were you i would check some roofs around you and you can ask who did it. or just ask around whose the best around. im sure you will get your answer.

1 cracked tile, which is likely all it is, is no problem to fix.

I doubt there are, or will be, more.......unless you have overhanging coconut trees.

I would not dream of painting onto a subsurface which is breaking up.

I think your "contractor" is seeking to rip you off.

Our house was built in 2005 and roof tiles are the 'normal' concrete ones.  Have very recently had the roof tiles painted with "TOA Roof Paint' when the rest of the house was painted.

We changed two tiles that were cracked. MrJ when up on the roof to check all the tiles.

TOA Roof Paint is not for stopping leaks, just for looks. TOA do a roof seal but I know little about it.

Preperation for the Roof paint is Power Wash, wire brush where power wash fails. Two coats of primer and two coats, at least of Roof Paint. The primer and Roof paint are normally sprayed. If you want you can also have a clear sealer applied which makes them look just a little better. 

As mentioned a couple of posts earlier you need to see how many tiles need replacing. If concrete tiles and you have a lot cracked think you need to ask yourself why that has happened.

I think the roof looks quite good

Roof.JPG.21e779f74c8d4aaef303aab8d09656d2.JPG

"So my house is now 16 years old and the roof tiles have started cracking. Got a contractor that's due to paint the roof (clean, prime, 2 top coats) and claims this will fix the problem for 5-10 years.

Anyone out there that's been through this and has any advise to share?"

Painting is purely cosmetic and will not fix the cracking problem.

If you have a widespread cracking problem then your particular tiles are nearing the end of their useful life.

It's time to plan for a new roof.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAS21 said:

As mentioned a couple of posts earlier you need to see how many tiles need replacing. If concrete tiles and you have a lot cracked think you need to ask yourself why that has happened.

Tiles undergo a daily expansion-contraction cycle, more so in the dry season and if located on the side facing south.

Depending on quality of the material, some tiles are more resistant to cracking than others.

Quality of installation can also play a significant role in cracking.

• Like 1