Calcium Filter

KhaoYai

Can anyone recommend a decent calcuim filter - the dreaded calcium is causing real damage, not just stains.

I invested in an Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP) a couple of years back to provide hot water at my house.  I knew that calcium might cause some problems so I fitted what I thought was a decent filter.  Due to Covid, I've hardly been in Thailand since fitting the machine so its not had much use but last year it broke down.  When I visited in December I discovered that the problem was with a water pump inside the ASHP,  calcium had jammed the impeller which in turn caused an internal pressure switch to trip out.  I've fitted a new pump but if I don't do something about the calcium, it will no doubt happen again.  I would add though that I think the fact that the machine hasn't been getting much use didn't help matters.

When I chose the filter that I fitted, I thought it would be OK - clearly its not up to the job, I looked at some systems but they all seemed to be aimed at cleaning the water up enough to provide drinking water - I can't remember how much they were but I do remember they were bloody expensive!  I'm not looking to provide water of drinkable quality, I just want to protect my ASHP.  I know that most filters, if not all, will require maintenance. Do they have to cost the earth?

I am going to watch your post with interest ! Many, if not most water bores in Thailand  are very loaded with  calcium . I have never found  any long term cost effective low input system  to eliminate the  problems caused . Contrary to the infrastructural problems caused  there is no health issue (apparently ) associated ln terms of drinking it boiled or using it for cooking. I have tried resin filters but despite claims  seem to lack effectiveness  really because they do not remove the  calcium, only convert it into a salt form. 

5 hours ago, sappersrest said:

A fullblown water softener is the only way  a filter will only filter out the big bits

I suspect that the cost would be prohibitive as due to the flow required for a shower, it would need to be quite a large unit.  That is probably why my filter doesn't seem to have done much good at all.  I'm reading that Reverse Osmosis systems remove 95-98% of calcium but again, I suspect size/cost is going to be an issue.

The pump that got clogged up with calcium is very easy to remove and clean - I suspect that whatever system I went for, there would be maintenance of some form?  Could be better to just clean the pump periodically but first I'll speak to the Air Source Heat Pump manufacturers to find out if there are any other parts that might give problems due to calcium.

I'd love to eradicate/substantially reduce it but not at any cost.

Whole-house softeners are pretty common in the US and they are not that expensive there, not sure about here.

Keep up updated,  I was thinking about a heat-pump water-heater as well, and I would like ot know how it turns out.

The manufacturer may very well be able to offer a cost-effective solution, that would be a good place to start. 

• Like 1