Another old lady cyclist killed - pick-up driver flees scene but later surrenders to police

webfact

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on yet another grim accident on Thailand's roads last night in which a 66 year old lady wheeling her bicycle home was killed.

Witnesses reported seeing a Toyota pick-up hit a road sign on the Koh Riang to Nong Hua Ling Road in Muang district of Nakhon Nayok, central Thailand. 

The pick-up that had been travelling fast then slid into Janpee, 66, who was wheeling her bike home - she lived just 50 meters away.

Police and rescue services found her with multiple injuries and the damaged bike in the undergrowth.

The pick up fled the scene but a few hours later at 9.30 last night the driver and his damaged vehicle reported to Muang district police.

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-19

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 7

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

+1.  And will probably be drinking and driving again in the very near future.

From some past threads on here, quite a few posters seem to care very little about drink driving and don't perceive it as any great crime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I'm not going to say who was right or wrong . But he should have stopped....but as we all know car would be in the wrong....  But I see it many tines people to on motorcycle and bicycle. No lights and wearing black clothing.... so how are we supposed to see them ..some onus should be on them not always the car driver...

24 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

wait till they support smoke a joint whilst driving !

Years ago now, somewhere near Saraburi, I saw a petrol tanker driver steering with his elbows as he opened a can of what looked like beer......and I am pretty sure he a fag in his mouth.......!!!!

2 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

I'm not going to say who was right or wrong . But he should have stopped....but as we all know car would be in the wrong....  But I see it many tines people to on motorcycle and bicycle. No lights and wearing black clothing.... so how are we supposed to see them ..some onus should be on them not always the car driver...

Very true....hardly a soul around us, out in the boonies, bothers with lights.....truly amazing.

33 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

wait till they support smoke a joint whilst driving !

The pick-up that had been travelling very slow then bumped into Janpee, 66, who was wheeling her bike home - she lived just 50 meters away.  The driver apologized for bumping the bike and Janpee walked home.

27 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

I don't understand your attitude trying to blame the victim. The woman was WALKING with her bike she was a pedestrian he lost control of his vehicle and hit her then he drove away. This is a classic case of hit and run the driver is completely at fault. 

34 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Years ago now, somewhere near Saraburi, I saw a petrol tanker driver steering with his elbows as he opened a can of what looked like beer......and I am pretty sure he a fag in his mouth.......!!!!

I have seen that in the UK plenty of reports of lorry drivers browsing the net on their phones whilst driving.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Leaving the scene of an accident where someone dies is manslaughter in my book.

10 years mandatory jail-time.

Agree totally. The punishment rarely fits the crime. Perversely, get caught in possesion of a few illicit pills and you WILL get 10yrs in jail.

2 hours ago, connda said:

The pick-up that had been travelling very slow then bumped into Janpee, 66, who was wheeling her bike home - she lived just 50 meters away.  The driver apologized for bumping the bike and Janpee walked home.

The pick-up which had been travelling excessively slowly was then rear-ended, causing.......

6 hours ago, rondee said:

The driver will visit a temple , wai the family and offer them 2000baht. All is forgiven. Police will do nothing. This is reality in the land of smiles.

This is indeed the Thai law.
When a traffic accident with injuries happen, instead of giving the case to a "Public Prosecutor" and start a Judiciary case, the RTP in Thailand can keep the case for months and even for years before handling it over to the Tribunals.
If during the time that the case is in hands of the police a "handshake" with the cops is made, the case will be "Classified Vertically" and never see the daylight again.