US phone number for online verification purposes

BananaBandit

I have the app "Talkatone".  It's strictly a web enabled way to have a US phone number.  It doesn't cost anything although there are options to upgrade at a cost.  I have used this app for a few years.  Another thing, you need to make a call every month or so to keep it active.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I use Skype. I bought a US phone number, and a plan that allows unlimited minutes for all calls to and from the US. The phone number is able to accept SMS for OTPs. The SMS messages show up in Skype, which is quite convenient, since I can see them on my laptop or mobile.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, timendres said:

I use Skype. I bought a US phone number, and a plan that allows unlimited minutes for all calls to and from the US. The phone number is able to accept SMS for OTPs. The SMS messages show up in Skype, which is quite convenient, since I can see them on my laptop or mobile.

Are you sure it works for US bank verification?

US banks use short code SMS.  This doesn't work like regular SMS or TEXTs.

53 minutes ago, timendres said:

I have a credit card with Capital One bank. Whenever I make an online purchase with my CC, they redirect me to a screen that is asking for an OTP. That OTP is sent to the phone number that I provided them, which is my Skype number. The OTP shows up in Skype and I enter it into the screen mentioned. The purchase has been approved every time. The process also works when they request 2FA when logging into my account online.

260628662_ScreenShot2565-02-19at11_30_37PM.png.be0842d1fa13817e232de5a820f3d3d4.png

Also works with my Bank of America account for 2FA:

1503599214_ScreenShot2565-02-19at11_33_04PM.png.6a50bda2ad5ae65ab761e0a80ea2d553.png

Strange I also have Capital One and do not receive OTP SMS messages on my Skype number. When I logon I have to use the call my phone number to get the OTP via an automated voice call to my Skype number.

I have also had problems that AirBnb will not accept my Skype number for my account number. It says something about can't verify that number.

Was your number originally a Skype number or did you move the number over from a different provider?

Glad it works for you. Just wished it worked as well for me.

• Like 1

I have been using Google Voice since it was Grand Central long before it was acquired by Google. It works most of the time for getting verification codes by text or by voice. However, in the last two years it stopped working for a couple of my financial institutions. Their websites indicate that they are sending texts or calling the number but nothing happens.

I keep a US based T-Mobile pre-paid number going for $100 a year (includes 1000 minutes that I rarely use). I enabled WiFi calling on the number and it seems to work fine for 2FA. Not sure if this plan is still available to new customers. I signed up for it around 20 years ago.

T-Mobile also had a $3.00 a month plan for a while that may still be available through an MVNO. That would be cheaper assuming it allows WiFi calling to be enabled.

17 minutes ago, grin said:

However, in the last two years it stopped working for a couple of my financial institutions.

Can you share the names of these institutions?

https://community.t-mobile.com/accounts-services-4/does-the-prepaid-plan-1-000-minutes-for-100-still-exist-38764

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/pay-as-you-go-gold-rewards

I enabled WiFi calling on the number

Can you share how you did this? Mobile app, web, call to CSR? Chat? email?

T-Mobile also had a $3.00 a month plan for a while that may still be available through an MVNO. That would be cheaper assuming it allows WiFi calling to be enabled.

Many MVNOs... UltraMobile has a $3/month plan, they have WiFI calling which works well here. USMobile allows you build your own PAYG plan for as little as $2/month. They also support WiFi calling.

I still have my T-Mo $3/day plan (you only pay when you use it, they still don't charge me even when I use it here). $10 every 90 days, so $40 for the year. No WiFi calling with this plan AFAIK.

I could never get DIGITS to work: https://digits.t-mobile.com/#/

Edited by mtls2005

I use a Nokia Android phone and I set WiFi calling in the network settings, no special app. T-Mobile WiFi

I don't recall off-hand the 2 institutions that no longer work with Google Voice. I switched my contact number for them and forgot about it. It is even possible that I have cancelled one or both of those accounts by now. However, it may well occur to me who they were and I will post them if that happens.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I tried again, to enable WiFi Calling with my T-Mo number but couldn't get it to work. No inbound or outbound SMSs, incoming calls rang through, outgoing calls reverted to the Thai GSM network.

But with UltraMobile, which is a T-Mobile MVNO, and WiFi Calling enabled this is what my home-screen looks like...

Screenshot_20220220-135645_Google Play Store.jpg

I have a UK VOIP number (two actually) I also pick calls up and make calls from these numbers on my mobile (Thai sim) using Grandstream lite app. I only use this with my in house wifi (no data on my Thai Sim - don't need it). I can confirm that I regularly receive OTP codes for my banking etc. Although beware some UK banks at least demand a mobile number and hence a UK VOIP number is no good for these banks - Obviously I am not au fait with US banking OTP requirements.

16 hours ago, biervoormij said:

Strange I also have Capital One and do not receive OTP SMS messages on my Skype number. When I logon I have to use the call my phone number to get the OTP via an automated voice call to my Skype number.

I have also had problems that AirBnb will not accept my Skype number for my account number. It says something about can't verify that number.

Was your number originally a Skype number or did you move the number over from a different provider?

Glad it works for you. Just wished it worked as well for me.

If I remember correctly, you must go to your account and enable the SMS feature. It does not receive SMS by default.

18 hours ago, timendres said:

I have a credit card with Capital One bank. Whenever I make an online purchase with my CC, they redirect me to a screen that is asking for an OTP. That OTP is sent to the phone number that I provided them, which is my Skype number. The OTP shows up in Skype and I enter it into the screen mentioned. The purchase has been approved every time. The process also works when they request 2FA when logging into my account online.

260628662_ScreenShot2565-02-19at11_30_37PM.png.be0842d1fa13817e232de5a820f3d3d4.png

Also works with my Bank of America account for 2FA:

1503599214_ScreenShot2565-02-19at11_33_04PM.png.6a50bda2ad5ae65ab761e0a80ea2d553.png

Great to know.

I've got Skype, the free version.  I assume you're using the subscription?

I've got $29.00 credit, I wonder if that'll work for a few messages a month?

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

So your only application is receiving 2FA SMS OTP's? For those entities which only offer this method for 2FA?

Do you have a budget?

Quite a few excellent threads here, so a search would reveal a lot of great info.

I use:

Google Voice (best free solution)

Talkatone (most reliable IME)

UltraMobile (WiFi Calling) (best overall solution, IMO)

T-Mobile (International GSM roaming) Works, but needs to be primed first.

I'm considering porting one of my GV (or my T-Mo) numbers to Google Fi.

Not accurate. Tens of millions of Americans receive 2FA OTPs via SMS. Most pass SCSMS now, for those entities which use service providers who use this method. This used to be a thing years ago.

Yeah just set up a new Google/GMail account here, email them the username and password, they can setup the GV number, then just give you the number.

I believe Capital One also allows you to use their mobile app for 2FA.

BofA allows the use of a FIDO key. (But GV, Talkatone both work fine with BofA SMSes).

Talkatone and GV work fine with AirBnB. In fact, it's been years since I've had an issue using GV with ~ 30-ish accounts.

Lots of good info.

I'll screen shot this.

4 hours ago, timendres said:

If I remember correctly, you must go to your account and enable the SMS feature. It does not receive SMS by default.

I can send and receive SMS from US mobile phones without a problem it is only the OTPs that I seem to have problems with and AirBnb. I found the following link with the statement "Note: You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers."

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/cant-receive-verification-codes/c308068a-0cab-402d-9652-c13989bcc387

15 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I use:

Google Voice (best free solution)

Talkatone (most reliable IME)

UltraMobile (WiFi Calling) (best overall solution, IMO)

T-Mobile (International GSM roaming) Works, but needs to be primed first.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does it mean to "prime" T-Mobile international roaming?

I'll be returning to Thailand shortly, and expect to have some bank transactions that will require 2FA. I'm planning to put my T-Mobile sim in a separate, cheap phone used only for receiving 2FA OTPs (assuming I'll be able to receive 2FA SMSs via T-Mobile roaming).

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Great to know.

I've got Skype, the free version.  I assume you're using the subscription?

I've got $29.00 credit, I wonder if that'll work for a few messages a month?

The only way I know of to get the dedicated phone number is by subscription.

The unlimited minutes plan I added because I do a ton of phone calls with friends and family in the States.

4 hours ago, biervoormij said:

I can send and receive SMS from US mobile phones without a problem it is only the OTPs that I seem to have problems with and AirBnb. I found the following link with the statement "Note: You can receive SMS messages on your US Skype Number from US and Canadian mobile numbers. However, SMS messages sent from services such as identity verification are not supported on US Skype Numbers."

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/cant-receive-verification-codes/c308068a-0cab-402d-9652-c13989bcc387

That is very interesting. As I demonstrated, I am able to get my purchase confirmation OTP SMS messages from Capital One and Bank of America. It appears Skype is rejecting SMS from what they refer to as a "short code", which is a special phone number:

https://www.twilio.com/docs/glossary/what-is-a-short-code

Apparently Capital One and Bank of America do not use a short code to send the SMS OTP's that I receive. As Skype mentions, you can always receive a voice call, which Capital One offers as an alternative, and I have used a couple of times.

6 hours ago, timendres said:

The only way I know of to get the dedicated phone number is by subscription.

The unlimited minutes plan I added because I do a ton of phone calls with friends and family in the States.

I use Magic jack for free calls to the US and Canada.

Bank text won't work on that though.  Regular texts do though.

LINE has been great here also.

8 hours ago, DrDave said:

I'll be returning to Thailand shortly, and expect to have some bank transactions that will require 2FA. I'm planning to put my T-Mobile sim in a separate, cheap phone used only for receiving 2FA OTPs (assuming I'll be able to receive 2FA SMSs via T-Mobile roaming).

I would get a Google Voice number, even better if you can port in an older mobile number.

I would get an UltraMobile SIM (eBay, $13), activate it in the U.S. and enable WiFi Calling.

Enable International Roaming and WiFi Calling your T-Mobile SIM.

You're returning to Thailand on a temporary or permanent basis?

8 hours ago, DrDave said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does it mean to "prime" T-Mobile international roaming?

My T-Mobile SIM remains in a phone which is turned off. It takes ~ 5 minutes for the phone to come to life and get a roaming signal (AIS in my location - you'll get a message from T-Mo about the costs associated with using your SIM in Thailand). T-Mo has, I think, an automated message blocking system for devices off-net. People who've sent me texts (from/in the U.S.) have reported this feedback to me. I then make a voice call to the T-Mo number (from GV, Talkatone, UM), which rings through - I don't answer. I then send an SMS to the T-Mo number until it goes through, then this SIM is "primed" to receive the OTP. If I left this SIM on net I wouldn't have to do this. Might it come to life fully after a few hours? I think so but I'm rarely that patient.

FWIW, SMS is NOT a guaranteed service, it is not store and forward.

All the OTPs I receive on GV are short code SMS (SCSMS); they come from five or six-digit "numbers" (used initially as being easy to remember, these are used widely in the U.S. for marketing, promotion, polling, etc.). Six-digit numbers are a pain because you think that's the OTP, at first, and then enter the wrong OTP.

I receive OTP SMSes on GV from AirBnB, and several dozen other entities, I have 2FA turned on for everything. Some of these I use daily. Can't speak to Skype's issues; no experience. I prefer a security key but not that many places support this option yet. BofA does.

7 hours ago, timendres said:

Bank of America do not use a short code to send the SMS OTP's

In my case they do, my last ~ 50 OTPs have come in to GV from the same five-digit number.

9 hours ago, grin said:

I just remembered that Wells Fargo was one of the institutions whose 2FA no longer works with Google Voice. I'm sure the other one will eventually come to mind.

Could be. They do offer other 2FA options. I guess you can use their mobile app https://www.wellsfargo.com/mobile/

(I think WF uses/used Republic Wireless as their bulk SMS provider.)

VoIP is perceived as being more vulnerable, security-wise. Perhaps a valid argument, but third-parties can also port your number to their SIM. Most offer the phone call option for the OTP so that will definitely work with GV.

T-Mo message back to sender (who is also on T-Mo if that matters)...

tmsmsblok.jpg

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...