Convert COVID extension to non-o visa

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When does your current extension expire.

Might be useful to obtain one more prior to March 26.

Assume you have a Thai bank account and will have 400k in bank on day of application for non O marriage.

Feb 26th it's expired. I would get another one but they make you do 2 trips together the visa and each time it takes a half day. I think I've had enough. ????

Yeah I need to get the non-o and then a letter before the bank will let me open an account. You guys already helped me with that and I confirmed this with the bank. Not looking forward to that part. ????

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Feb 26th it's expired. I would get another one but they make you do 2 trips together the visa and each time it takes a half day. I think I've had enough

If your permission of stay ends Feb 26 then you need to obtain another covid extension asap.

What does this mean.

"Yeah I need to get the non-o and then a letter before the bank will let me open an account"

You need a Thai bank account with 400k on day of application to obtain your non O

Edited by DrJack54

You need a Thai bank account with 400k on day of application to obtain your non O

26th is on Sat so I'm going in on the 28th on Monday.

That's for the 12 month extension you need the money. Some women there explained this to me and I believe it's correct. Maybe they would have allowed it but from what I understand they want me to have a non-o before even issuing the letter that allows me to open the bank account (bank may want to see the actual visa also but I forgot).

1 minute ago, NorthernRyland said:

That's for the 12 month extension you need the money. Some women there explained this to me and I believe it's correct. Maybe they would have allowed it but from what I understand they want me to have a non-o before even issuing the letter that allows me to open the bank account (bank may want to see the actual visa also but I forgot).

You need a bank account with the requisite amount of money already in it when you apply for the visa at immigration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm not following. 

The standard procedure is step one ....obtain Thai bank account.

Deposit 400k into the account and apply for non O marriage.

That gives you a 90 day permission of stay.

When funds have been in bank for 2 months apply for your 12 month extension.

Just to be clear. 

Your current permit expires Feb 26 and you also do not have a Thai bank account?

Have you used your 60 day extension to visit Thai wife? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Deposit 400k into the account and apply for non O marriage.

That gives you a 90 day permission of stay.

When funds have been in bank for 2 months apply for your 12 month extension.

Just to be clear. 

Your current permit expires Feb 26 and you also do not have a Thai bank account?

Have you used your 60 day extension to visit Thai wife? 

In that case my whole plane is screwed but I can still get a COVID extension I presume though. I didn't any 60 day visitation visa either.

To be clear I don't have a bank account because the bank itself would not allow it without a letter from immigration. Maybe I need to do that before I get the 90 days even but they explain clearly I use the 90 days to season the 400k in the bank.

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

You need a bank account with the requisite amount of money already in it when you apply for the visa at immigration.

I don't think that's how this works but lets wait for Joe to reply. I know even consulates can issue the non-o based on limited documents but they aren't able to extend them outside of the country, only Thai immigration can do that.

The idea seems to be they give you 3 months to arrange the next step in country where the actual requirements can be verified by Thai immigration in-country.

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I don't think that's how this works but lets wait for Joe to reply. I know even consulates can issue the non-o based on limited documents but they aren't able to extend them outside of the country, only Thai immigration can do that.

The idea seems to be they give you 3 months to arrange the next step in country where the actual requirements can be verified by Thai immigration in-country.

Sorry but your over the shop.

Your in Thailand currently so applying for non O marriage at Thai consulate is irrelevant.

What @Caldera stated is correct.

You need to obtain a Thai bank account months ago.

I suggest use an agent.

Next you need stick 400k into that account.

Next apply for non O marriage.

First up you need obtain covid extension or 60 day to visit wife.

which immigration office do you deal with.

Currently your tracking for overstay (500baht fine per day) 

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

You must have 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You must have 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the non-o visa at immigration.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

Ok then I made the mistake of not opening the bank account first! I need to request special permission to just do this. I can't believe I didn't get that information correct! Thanks guys.

Problem then is that my 60 day extension won't be enough time to season the money for 2 months so I'll need to get an other extension some how, even if it is just for a couple days. Doh!

39 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Problem then is that my 60 day extension won't be enough time to season the money for 2 months so I'll need to get an other extension some how, even if it is just for a couple days. Doh

Your still not quite understanding the process 

1. Obtain Thai bank account.

2. Deposit 400k into that account and obtain non O marriage.

Note the 400k only needs to be in your account on the day you apply.

The non O gives you 90 day permission of stay. In last 30 days of that 90 apply for 12 month extension. The money having been in the account for 2 months minimum. 

Your issue is the bank account.

You can open one with a tourist visa entry or even visa exempt entry, however it's not simple.

Hence I suggested an agent to assist. The use of agent is only to open bank account. 

Many threads about opening Bank account so I wont sidetrack.

If you can obtain another covid extension that would be good as to buy time to open bank account.

Edited by DrJack54

What is this "DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED MORE THAN 15 DAYS BEFORE VISA EXPIRATION". Does this apply to COVID extensions also?

I'm gonna go in today and see if they can give me this permission to open a bank account but if they need 15 days before expiration to apply then I have no chance of doing this in time.'

i've done the change to non O a couple times in country.  the money doesn't need to be in the bank for two months to get the initial non O.  so you are okay getting the 60 day ext to visit wife and then work on getting the bank account.  sometimes you have to pay a law firm or a visa agent to get a bank account opened.  or maybe you know a 'hi-so' type thai that can arrange it for you.  i'm not sure what 'letter' the bank wants you to get from immigration, it might be some kind of resident certificate, not the actual non O.  so try to clarify what the bank is asking for and maybe you can get that at immigration and avoid using the law firm, agent, thai contact to get the account opened.

when i opened an bank account bank in 2016, i had to get a letter from my embassy (USA) which basically said my passport was real.  plus i had to have a letter from my landlord along with my lease saying i lived in my apartment.  not all banks/branches have the same requirements.  i was on a tourist visa at the time.

edit:  the 15 days you mention above relates to getting the non-0, not a covid extension or one to visit wife.

Edited by buick

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Your issue is the bank account.

You can open one with a tourist visa entry or even visa exempt entry, however it's not simple.

Hence I suggested an agent to assist. The use of agent is only to open bank account. 

Many threads about opening Bank account so I wont sidetrack.

I already talked to the bank and immigration and they can issue a letter for me they said. I'll see today when I go to immigration. My problem is I thought i had to get the non-o first and then open the bank account etc.... The requirements just for that non-o for 3 months is going to be a huge stack of paper. It never ends with these people....

2 minutes ago, buick said:

i've done the change to non O a couple times in country.  the money doesn't need to be in the bank for two months to get the initial non O.  so you are okay getting the 60 day ext to visit wife and then work on getting the bank account.  sometimes you have to pay a law firm or a visa agent to get a bank account opened.  or maybe you no a 'hi-so' type thai that can arrange it for you.  i'm not sure what 'letter' the bank wants you to get from immigration, it might be some kind of resident certificate, not the actual non O.  so try to clarify want the bank is asking for and maybe you can get that at immigration and avoid using the law firm, agent, thai contact to get the account opened.

when i opened an bank account bank in 2016, i had to get a letter from my embassy (USA) which basically said my passport was real.  plus i had to have a letter from my landlord along with my lease saying i lived in my apartment.  not all banks/branches have the same requirements.  i was on a tourist visa at the time.

This is what the lady at Chiang mai immigration said. Get the non-o THEN get the bank account but others here dispute that (including the actual law Joe posted). Go figure, TIT.

Bank said I can get a letter of permission from immigration but lets see if they comply. Hiring a lawyer to open a bank account is retarded to the extreme so I hope it doesn't come to that. We already had a big rant on that last month though and I talked with the bank personally.

2 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I already talked to the bank and immigration and they can issue a letter for me they said. I'll see today when I go to immigration. My problem is I thought i had to get the non-o first and then open the bank account etc.... The requirements just for that non-o for 3 months is going to be a huge stack of paper. It never ends with these people....

With respect in this case your issues are because you have not understood or done the research on what's required.

As I have mentioned several times your Thai bank account is STEP 1.

The letter from immigration could well be residence certificate.

Don't think you mentioned which immigration office. If Bangkok the residence certificate takes time and requires you to have done a 90 day report.

The alternative is to obtain letter from your embassy supporting your address. 

All this is not immigrations fault.

Simple standard procedure. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Hiring a lawyer to open a bank account is retarded to the extreme so I hope it doesn't come to that. We already had a big rant on that last month though and I talked with the bank personally.

So you already "had a big rant".

However still no bank account in your pocket.

The bank account does not require a lawyer. It's cost would be about 4k.

However put that idea aside that's your prerogative.

Hopefully the CM immigration office will provide you with RC. 

If your Wife has a bank account maybe she can help you get one in the same bank.

As said, the bank account is the first thing you need to do.

Have you tried every bank in your area?

They are all different.

Even different staff n the same bank will tell you something different.

Edited by Lite Beer

So you already "had a big rant".

However still no bank account in your pocket.

I didn't think I needed it, mainly because immigration in Chiang Mai said I didn't need it initially.

Btw this document Joe posted https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf seems to be for the 12 month extension also . ALL of that is required just to get the non-o? Those are the same requirements for the 12 month extension it looks like, including "Approximately 6 photographs of family pictures and house residents pictures (including House No. and inside a house)".

It seems all the requirements are mixed together and appear to be the same thing  but that's not the case.

Anyways, I'm leaving soon to just ask questions and I'll report back.

33 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is what the lady at Chiang mai immigration said. Get the non-o THEN get the bank account but others here dispute that (including the actual law Joe posted). Go figure, TIT.

Bank said I can get a letter of permission from immigration but lets see if they comply. Hiring a lawyer to open a bank account is retarded to the extreme so I hope it doesn't come to that. We already had a big rant on that last month though and I talked with the bank personally.

it can be very confusing and frustrating.  when i was doing my first change to non O, my US bank had a limit on how much i could wire overseas at a one time and per month.  so i got through all the 'stuff' needed on the thai side and then my bank in USA threw up a roadblock.  i called to try and get a waiver on the amounts but they wanted to send a code to my USA phone which at the time wouldn't come through to my phone in thailand (now it does).  so i had to wait an entire year to start the process again as i'm rarely in the country more than 60 days at a time.  so i just kept rolling with the visa exempt and tourist visa entries until i knew i'd be here for a longer stay.

everyone agrees working with a law firm or agent is not great.  definitely a last option type of thing.  but it is good to have that option.  i know an agent in bangkok and all he does is call his contact at the bank and then you go to see that person at the bank to open the account.  that is all it is, a simple phone call.  i haven't asked what the financial deal is, i assume they split the money.  i believe he charges 2,500.

28 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

. ALL of that is required just to get the non-o?

Read the book Catch 22.

To obtain a non O marriage inside Thailand you need 400k in bank account in your name on the day of application. 

Did you notice the money requirement in THAI BANK.

It's a pre cursor to the process. 

Guys obtaining a non O retirement also need bank account. That is step 1.

The problem is when you go to bank to open account the staff will say something like....

Teller :"No problem. Where is your work permit" 

Client: "I'm applying for non O retirement. I can not work"

You should have opened a bank account with or without an agent some time ago.

With any luck the immigration officer may give you residence certificate. Personally I doubt it.

In Bangkok that process would take one to two weeks. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Read the book Catch 22.

To obtain a non O marriage inside Thailand you need 400k in bank account in your name on the day of application. 

Did you notice the money requirement in THAI BANK.

It's a pre cursor to the process. 

yes I just went and talked to them again and they said I need the money in the bank *for any duration* before I can apply and they will write me a waiver to open the back account but it takes about 1 month to do so. Once that's complete I can change the non-o but I need to get another COVID extension again. As you said I should have done this months ago but I didn't get the correct information the first time at immigration.

2 hours ago, buick said:

it can be very confusing and frustrating.  when i was doing my first change to non O, my US bank had a limit on how much i could wire overseas at a one time and per month.  so i got through all the 'stuff' needed on the thai side and then my bank in USA threw up a roadblock.  i called to try and get a waiver on the amounts but they wanted to send a code to my USA phone which at the time wouldn't come through to my phone in thailand (now it does).  so i had to wait an entire year to start the process again as i'm rarely in the country more than 60 days at a time.  so i just kept rolling with the visa exempt and tourist visa entries until i knew i'd be here for a longer stay.

Good point, thanks. I'll contact my bank and ask them about that. If they won't transfer 12k in one month then I'll have to leave the country since this is the last COVID extension available (so they say). That would be a disaster for sure.