TAT upbeat in Phuket: Sandbox has attracted 327,000 "foreigners" spending 55,000 baht/trip

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

(...)

Total turnover was 43 billion based on each tourist (...)

(...) many of the visitors were not really foreign tourists but returning expats perhaps with families living in Thailand. 

And many suggested that Thai people were included in the figures. 

Says it all. I personally know returning expats and Thais who were included in that "tourist arrivals" figure.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

The numbers quoted here and elsewhere should be broken down properly.

• How many Thais arrived on those flights?
  • Are all foreign arrivals (including Thais) from overseas counted as tourists?
  • If arriving on a Non-Immigrant Visa is that counted as being a tourist?
  • Does the 55,000 Baht/Trip include airfare?
  • How many are arriving on one-way tickets?

As usual clear as mud and publicised as a success story. "Positive spin". How about reality please?

And "Does the 55,000 baht include the 5000 baht each way (airport to hotel to airport) for the taxi mafia ????

Their excitement is hardly justified, when you consider that tourism in Thailand is down by 95% while it's only down about 50% in those countries that have refrained from imposing insane entry procedures. Catching up will be tough, chances are that at least parts of the pie have been redistributed for good.

• Like 2

Keep up the good work, in other words, only 39,673,000 to go until the end of 2022! 

Give the hard working officials in TAT, TBT, TCT, TDT, TET and God-only-knows-what-other-agency solid gold medals and the ministers the same thing made of platinum! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Youngmanoz said:

Only spend 55.000 Bart a trip   wow   pety cash  for  me I spent   60.000 one night    for all the bar girls to have fun   in Patong Beach BANGALA    L O L   I MIGHT DO IT AGAIN THIS TIME AND POST THE BILL FOR FUN  

That's great you think you have cash like this to burn.  I'm sure you felt like a boss.   But consider how you ruin things for the average guy. I've said it before.  Guys who don't make taxis put the meter on and just pay whatever are the reason it's still a problem today. 

Edited by Elkski

8 hours ago, mrfill said:

Just waiting for the headline "Continuation of Sandbox has dissuaded 10 million "tourists" from visiting"

It is so true. They only see those actually arrived for whatever reason. Yet they dare to even think there is a possibility that millions could have been here if they did not have so many obstacles. Each obstacle stops hundreds thousands if not millions tourists from coming. And TAT can not see it. 

T  T

A

When you consider the A looks like a nose, the T and T looks like two weeping eyes. Very accurate of TAT in distress call as not enough tourists are coming.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A little over 300,000 in nearly 8 months. Not impressive. How many of those were returning ex-pats? How many were returning Thais? Of course people are going to choose a Phuket resort over a Bangkok hotel.

The cowardice must end. 

Agreed . However, one month ago I did one night in Bangkok hotel rather than Phuket as my condo was in the same street. I, like many others here are not tourists. <deleted> the expense of Phuket when it comes to entry. Now it seems to get easier with new rules. Thankfully.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

A little over 300,000 in nearly 8 months. Not impressive. How many of those were returning ex-pats? How many were returning Thais? Of course people are going to choose a Phuket resort over a Bangkok hotel.

The cowardice must end. 

I think they have added 2 x 00 to that figure by mistake ????????????