Assumption: Thailand Pass got hacked or leaks private information

Greetings, I have received the following e-mail today.

This is very specific information disclosed only during the application itself -- and I am very careful on IT security related issues (its my profession more or less). Be aware.

Sender is:

Subject: There are a New updates regarding your submitted information
 Thailand Pass
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 03:34:09 +0000 (UTC)

Hello ,  xxxx

• Th system noticed some problems in the documents you submitted to the embassy
  • You should correct some information so that you are not held responsible by the government
  • Please reply to this message and write the following information

1. Your full name.
    2. Date of birth.
    3. Last 4 digits of the passport.

•     We apologize for any inconvenience caused
  •      Thailand Pass
Edited by IgboChief

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you expect that your information is handled private and confidential?

I understand that is what it should be. But I think in Thailand it is unrealistic to expect it. After all, TiT!

There is a difference between, what I have prepared for and what I reasonable should expect (especially when dealing with a public institution). My post was meant to a warning fort others, it did not do any harm to me.

Cheers

• Like 1

My 5 cents:

during "welcome to school" opening happy management of school posted on the billboard printed lists of students names, surnames and their ID Card numbers. That was enough [say] to register few thousands SIM cards, and many other funny things you can do with these combinations.

few years ago the database of recruiting company [*****jobs****.co.th] was available to download. 

the Association of Thai Exporters database, some Jewelry Association, and many more are not even protected.

I didn't check it recently, but basic security is mainly non-existent. love it!

• Sad 1

While I was applying for Thai Pass I was receiving popup messages that my information was incorrect & that I was to click on the link to correct the information.  They said if I did not click on the link I could "be in trouble with the government..."

A few years ago we were in a restaurant which was part of a hotel. 

My son was given some paper and colouring crayons....  Props, or so I thought, to the hotel for not wasting paper, it was used on one side with printed out material... 

I looked at what was on the printouts and was shocked with the level of information I saw. 

- A table of guests names, room numbers, nationality, Passport details (number and expiry).

I could have ordered the world and put it on Mr. Jones’ tab in room 718 !!!

I mentioned the issue to the restaurant manager and received a ‘blank response ‘ok sir’.....”

One of those ‘blank stares' which highlighted clearly that were was really no concept of why this was wrong. 

And thats the issue with information security in Thailand - No one understands the potential gravity. They are not forced to because insitutions, business and government bodies are not held accountable for their wrong doing.... And... why would they be held accountable for breach of information security, the government doesn't even take it seriously. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1