"Test & Go" insurance

TAT's updated information on the Test & Go rules is contained here:
https://www.tatnews.org/2022/02/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/?fbclid=IwAR3Aw4cfjk4gJnDncW7W0h5o30JcoK9oRQgHE6xSK0_BZnPuAzlVL2DSo1s

and says:

The health insurance coverage has also been reduced to no less than US$20,000.

TAT recommends that travellers make sure to check the small print of any COVID-19 insurance policy before purchasing. Ultimately, the policy should cover the cost of treatment and other medical expenses associated with being infected with COVID-19, including in-patient hospitalisation, hospital isolation, hotel isolation, or related quarantine. 

Please could I ask your help on the meaning of "recommends" here. Does it mean that it is compulsory, or just nice, to have that coverage?

And what other requirements might there be? For example, I'm thinking that health insurance with an excess of, say, £1m would be useless for most people (but very cheap! ???? ).

TIA.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is just a suggestion and certainly is not mandatory.

And indeed, almost no policy -- and certainly none issued by a Thai company - will cover hotel isolation/quarantine. At most they will cover just the costsrelated to medications etc.

Medical insurance covers only medically necessary treatment.

4 hours ago, stuarty said:

So anyone know the difference in cost of policy say for one month between the $50000 and now $20000 requirement?

The Thai companies have not started to offer this yet.

Last time they reduced the insurance requirement (from 100k to 50K) it took months for the tgia companies to adjust - and there was very little change in premium.

Most foreign insurance (including travel insrance) would cover far more than 20K.

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Most foreign insurance (including travel insrance) would cover far more than 20K.

Does this mean that UK travel insurance should be sufficient: I don't need any special insurance? 

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The Thai companies have not started to offer this yet.

Last time they reduced the insurance requirement (from 100k to 50K) it took months for the tgia companies to adjust - and there was very little change in premium.

The Thai companies are just dragging their feet.  They already have prior experience with previous changes and lead time.

40 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Does this mean that UK travel insurance should be sufficient: I don't need any special insurance? 

Yes as long as it includes COVID and you can get a statement to that effect. Many people have used foreign travel insurance policies to enter.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes as long as it includes COVID and you can get a statement to that effect. Many people have used foreign travel insurance policies to enter.

Thanks. ????

27 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

What exactly does one have to submit: the full travel insurance policy in English, or just policy schedule in English, even if it is travel insurance taken out in your non English home country?

I think so long as it shows the amount covered ($20,000 now) and that it covers Covid then it should be ok. I had the same problem and there were a couple of pages that covered both of these. I'll try to find the one I used and post it.

1 hour ago, arminbkk said:

What exactly does one have to submit: the full travel insurance policy in English, or just policy schedule in English, even if it is travel insurance taken out in your non English home country?

I hope this helps. Of course it depends on the company 

Insurance page.jpg

Hi Kimamey,

Thanks for the reply.

I see that you have taken out an insurance with a Thai insurer.

I suppose it makes sense that the policy should mention the amount and Covid cover in English.

I will enquire with my insurer about this.

Thanks again.

Well I enquired with my travel insurer and while it is possible to get an insurance certificate or statement, in English, with mention of sum insured and Covid cover, it will only be provided if at the time of the request, the travel advisory color code for Thailand, as set by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is green or yellow. If orange or red, no certificate is issued.

And they need the start and end date of the trip.

So a lot comes down to timing and chance.