Building a house without the Thai style concrete frame

cliveuk

8 hours ago, bluejets said:

Cavity style seems a good move but I'm not so sure about how the cavity was concrete filled

Cavity walls are never filled with concrete. They may have insulation. Double AAC in Thai temperature differentials needs nothing. Probably single AAC with a different material inner or as in the case of @sandyf outer needs no insulation.

the delta in Thailand is seldom much more than a maximum of 15oC, unlike European countries where a 30oC is quite possible 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Very rare (N), and minor damage reported when it does happen.  Suspect poor construction of those buildings affected.

1 reason I moved to Thailand, lack of earthquakes & typhoons.

That is a uneducated answer to local building requirements . 

22 hours ago, Don Chance said:

He's mad because we keep on point out the problems with his house.   Full of mold for sure.  If you build a cavity with insulated walls, how will it breath? The air in between will turn moldy. Good for the insulation seller not for the home.

Obviously you have little idea of cavity wall construction, a technique used in nearly every house built in the UK for probably over a century. do you really believe they are all living with mold.

The houses I have seen with mold, it has been on the solid internal walls, as in your hotels, not the external walls.

The cavity is ventilated by basic physics, hot air rises.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

all forms of burning produces water

Slow your roll professor !!

Not burning coal.

Nor iron, nor magnesium, nor ....

Coal produces CO2.

If the fuel lacks hydrogen molecules,

how the heck is the combustion gonna make wawa?

HYDRO GEN

translates: making water.

1 hour ago, papa al said:

Not burning coal.

Coal produces CO2.

HYDRO GEN

Virtually all combustion nets carbon dioxide and water. Wood, coal, gasoline, rubber, glass, steel, whatever. 

That said, burning wood in a stove for heat does dry out your house, and a kettle of water is often set on to re-humidify.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I hope the board of experts will forgive me for having recently built a house in Thailand without the use of any materials applied as thermal insulation.

And while you gag on that shocking revelation, I definitely did not use any cavity walls either.

Congratulations. No pictures?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Not burning coal.

Coal produces CO2.

HYDRO GEN

Do study your basic physics. 

All fossil fuels are made up of mostly carbon and hydrogen. When burned, the carbon is converted to carbon dioxide and the hydrogen to water. 

Coal is not diamond or graphite. Coal is certainly not remotely pure carbon. 

Also as far as I am aware “wawa” maybe a babies sound, but it isn’t any known substance. ???? 

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Virtually all combustion nets carbon dioxide and water. Wood, coal, gasoline, rubber, glass, steel, whatever

You still not getting it.

Burning coal does not produce H2O.

Glass is not combustible.

Steel combustion produces no water, just CO2 & iron oxides.

Sheesh !

Burn a hydrocarbon,

you get CO2 and water.

Chem 101.

Okay?

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Do study your basic physics. 

Coal is not diamond or graphite. Coal is certainly not remotely pure carbon. 

Also as far as I am aware “wawa” maybe a babies sound, but it isn’t any known substance. ???? 

Or better yet, study basic chemistry.

Anthrocite and charcoal are relatively pure C.

Look it up.

'Wawa' is a slang term for water.

Popularised by Helen Keller & babies.

Look it up.

[you remind me of my ex-wife]

On 3/6/2022 at 4:31 PM, Don Chance said:

In north of Thailand it is not even very hot. So you don't even need AC.

While I have no comment regarding the rest of your post, I have to inquire as to whether you consider Chiang Mai to NOT be in the north of Thailand? I lived in Lamphun, 20 minutes from Chiang Mai and the hot season was very hot. Being outside was like being in an oven that was turned on. AC was essential for me to be comfortable. However, in the winter it was probably a lot cooler than in the south.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps you can explain just where the "delta" in Thailand is. I've never heard any where described as "the delta" and google does not help.

It isn’t a place, it’s the common term for the variation in temperature between 2 locations such as, in this case, the outside shade temperature and indoor, often conditioned, air temperature.

Or better yet, study basic chemistry.

Anthrocite and charcoal are relatively pure C.

Look it up.

'Wawa' is a slang term for water.

Popularised by Helen Keller & babies.

Look it up.

[you remind me of my ex-wife]

Basic chemistry! and Thailand doesn’t produce anthracite. Banpu is the largest coal producer and distributor in Thailand. The Company produces typical sub-bituminous and lignite coals.

Charcoal Is never a common heating fuel in Thailand it’s to valuable a fuel for cooking, neither is coal. The common fuels are wood and for the few upmarket users oil and gas

As you are pontificating on chemistry does your use of an obscure regional slang used by babies show your education level 

91ECE803-3C38-4B2F-99E2-FA4006104312.thumb.png.3fe7e1c900f5edcf7d74585445ad8d28.pngC005EF43-90E0-4E9C-AF16-4AB93920CFCD.thumb.png.158f522cb77be5218418657464b0c462.png

You still not getting it.

Burning coal does not produce H2O.

Glass is not combustible.

Steel combustion produces no water, just CO2 & iron oxides.

Sheesh !

Burn a hydrocarbon,

you get CO2 and water.

Chem 101.

Okay?

You are not getting it. Coal is a hydrocarbon.

Hydrocarbon resources are resources that contain hydrocarbon molecules which means it consists both hydrogenand carbon. Hydrocarbon resources are often known as fossil fuels (natural gas, oil, and coal) since hydrocarbons are the primary constituent in these.[1] Hydrocarbon resources are the largest source of primary energy, contributing to over 85% of the world's primary energy.[2]

41 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It isn’t a place, it’s the common term for the variation in temperature between 2 locations such as, in this case, the outside shade temperature and indoor, often conditioned, air temperature.

Correction it’s much more exact than that and I should probably not have shortened it from Delta T or written it in Greek as Δ or ΔT, (though if I had written with the Greek alphabet  it would have been even less understandable)

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Congratulations. No pictures?  

Thank you.

No, no pictures.

The house is very recognizable and therefore it’s owner identifiable.

I will however share design principles for those who are interested:

Bucking the ‘Thais don’t know how to build houses/lay brickwork/install safe electrics etc’.

I took traditional Thai houses as a starting point for how to build a house suited to the climate.

The house is designed for passive cooling.

I’ve install a/c units in the bedrooms and the reception room but these are seldom used.

The build is timber and brick with a terracotta roof.

Shading:

The roofs overhang by one meter to cast shade on the walls, the East face has a covered verandah to cast shade  (both these methods of shading were already mentioned by Khun La).

I’ve orientated the house wrt to the Sun path and existing trees to maximize natural shading and planted more trees after the build was complete to fill gaps in the shade.

Bathrooms are orientated to sunlight and prevailing wind to aid drying after use.

Airflow:

I’ve followed traditional Thai building practice to encourage airflow.

With the exception of the bathrooms all windows are fitted with wooden shutters but no glass (or bars).

All rooms have shuttered windows on two or three aspects, to create cross flow.

The bathrooms have frosted glass hinged windows above head height and on three aspects.

The roof space is open, not enclosed with a ceiling, tiles are terracotta, this is water proof while maximizing airflow.

All rooms have overhead fans.

Separate Kitchen Building:

The kitchen has the same design features to the house but, following Thai traditional practices,

is a separate building; thereby keeping cooking heat and cooking smells out of the house.

Safe haven for insects and pests:

I have not used cavity wall construction which creates a safe haven for insects and pests.

How this works together as a whole:

Throughout the day, morning until dusk, windows shutters and verandah doors are left open, enabling a  movement of air through the house, the temperature is comfortable throughout the day.

As dusk falls and for the first hour of the evening window shutters and doors are closed to avoid mosquitoes at their most active. Depending on the weather A/C might be used if there is too much residual heat in the walls. 

One hour after dusk (after the nozzles have calmed down) the windows and doors are opened again and remain open to bedtime.

I occasionally put the bedroom a/c on for an hour at bedtime, but it is only occasionally.

Changes I would make with hindsight:

I would install a fireplace, it gets chilly in the winter.

Actually, I considered a hypercaust but thought it might cause problems with the floors so in the end gave it a miss.

• Sad 1