Non-O visas in Saigon and Savvanakhet....what's the future hold?

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As ubonjoe pointed out above.

Lot depends on where you live.

In my case Bangkok.

Easy 30 baht trip to DMK.

On arrival Saigon airport jump on yellow bus 109 to Bui Vien district 1.

When their you won't need any tour guide. Ripper place.

A bonus is the very efficient helpful Thai consulate. Very short bike trip from Bui Vien.

I've been to Laos couple of times which is ok as long as you take some "no-doze tablets" 

BTW where do travel from to go to Savannakhet. 

BKK - SGN airasia is 4150 baht + hotel + expenses = i really dont think its cheaper than savanakhet... 

my whole non-o trip to savanakhet is not more than 5000 baht and im doing it from bkk

• Haha 1

If we get back to the real topic

OP actually Laos is open by air ti vientiene. Im not sure if the embassy in sav is open or not. Actually i believe it is open. why dont you give them a call? But im not sure what you need for the visa to Laos. And also im not sure if there is a flight to Thailand, but i think lao airways has one but not everyday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PJ71 said:

With extensions you never need to leave thailand if you do not wish.

With a ME non O yes, ever 90 days you must leave, or that's how it used to be.

I was refering to the 1 month extension to the 90 day day stay - not a 12 month extension of stay.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Because they could travel overland to get there by crossing the bridge in Mukdahan.

For those in the northeast it was the easiest route.

And it's a pleasant little town on the bank of the Mekong to chill in for a couple of days and drink beer Lao.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

If we get back to the real topic

OP actually Laos is open by air ti vientiene. Im not sure if the embassy in sav is open or not. Actually i believe it is open. why dont you give them a call? But im not sure what you need for the visa to Laos. And also im not sure if there is a flight to Thailand, but i think lao airways has one but not everyday. 

Only by air to Vientiane at this time is correct but only on organized tours.

The embassy is in Vientiane and Savannakhet it s official consulate. Both are open.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Never understood why anyone would even bother with Savannakhet. 

For us it was only a 3 hour drive. Spending a night in Savannakhet (great seafood restaurant on the river (and don't forget Beer Lao) and then another night in Mukdahan or That Phanom and then back home!!

A mini holiday!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Because they could travel overland to get there by crossing the bridge in Mukdahan.

For those in the northeast it was the easiest route.

I really enjoyed the drive up to Mukdahan and the small city of Savannakhet very enjoyable.  I've been to Vietnam and HCMC enough to know I wouldn't like the traffic and did not like their airport.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

The web pages of the Svannakhet consulate on visa types has not been updated since 2019 (when multiple entry Non O to visit Thai spouse) was definitely still available. I think the page on Non O does not mention the multiple entry version as it was only available for Thai spouse and not other Thai family members.

I got the multiple entry version there .in 2019..based on marriage.

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was refering to the 1 month extension to the 90 day day stay - not a 12 month extension of stay.

There is a 60-day extension to visit your Thai wife/husband/child. You are only allowed this once per entry into Thailand. I cannot think of any regular one month extension available on Non Immigrant entries.

15 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is a 60-day extension to visit your Thai wife/husband/child. You are only allowed this once per entry into Thailand. I cannot think of any regular one month extension available on Non Immigrant entries.

Until Covid I have always had a multi Non O - however I use them for the purpose they were intended as I don't work in Thailand - I come and go. I have extended my visa once and it was for 30 days - I have never seen a 60 day extension.

However, I know 2 people that have more or less lived in Thailand on Multi Non O's.  Each 90 day stay is extendable by 1 month (wife must be with you at immigration). If you time it right and enter on the last day of vailidity for your final entry, you can get 15 months out of the visa with just 3 times out of the country.

If there is a 60 day extension its a new one on me - could it possibly only apply to single entry Non O's?

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Until Covid I have always had a multi Non O - however I use them for the purpose they were intended as I don't work in Thailand - I come and go. I have extended my visa once and it was for 30 days - I have never seen a 60 day extension.

However, I know 2 people that have more or less lived in Thailand on Multi Non O's.  Each 90 day stay is extendable by 1 month (wife must be with you at immigration). If you time it right and enter on the last day of vailidity for your final entry, you can get 15 months out of the visa with just 3 times out of the country.

If there is a 60 day extension its a new one on me - could it possibly only apply to single entry Non O's?

@ubonjoeHelp! One of us is suffering from a brain fart and i hope my cognitive decline from old age does not mean it is me. I thought there was a 30-day extension for those on Tourist entries and a 60-day extension (to visit Thai spouse) on almost any entry (exceptions being transit visa, visa on arrival and Special Tourist Visa). Please clarify. If I am wrong, I do not want to mislead others.

Edited by BritTim

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Help! One of us is suffering from a brain fart and i hope my cognitive decline from old age does not mean it is me. I thought there was a 30-day extension for those on Tourist entries and a 60-day extension (to visit Thai spouse) on almost any entry (exceptions being transit visa, visa on arrival and Special Tourist Visa). Please clarify. If I am wrong, I do not want to mislead others.

There are 30 day extensions for a tourist visa or visa exempt entry. 

The 60 day extension to visit a Thai wife or child can applied for with any type of entry (non immigrant, tourist or visa exempt).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

Bit off topic, but not too much: is the maximum of 2 visa exempt entries to Thailand per year still in place?

That is 2 maximum visa exempt per calendar year via land border.

Not very relevant currently.

There is no limit to visa exempt entries via Air, however continuous back to back is problematic. 

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is 2 maximum visa exempt per calendar year via land border.

Not very relevant currently.

There is no limit to visa exempt entries via Air, however continuous back to back is problematic. 

Ok, I thought it applied to both.

So one can enter a number of times per year by air, with a few months in between each visit.

3 minutes ago, arminbkk said:

Ok, I thought it applied to both.

So one can enter a number of times per year by air, with a few months in between each visit.

No problem. 

Many folk pre covid live in Thailand and do flights in out of places like Saigon. (flight were very cheap pre covid).

Some folk ran into problems in particular at DMK airport doing weekend hops and back to Vietnam and similar. 

Edited by DrJack54

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 60 day extension to visit a Thai wife or child can applied for with any type of entry (non immigrant, tourist or visa exempt).

I bow to your greater knowledge UJ. However, I was granted a 30 day extension to a 90 day entry on a Multi O on 3 October 2018 by Korat Immigration.  I was later told that my wife should have been with me (she wasn't).  Could this be the reason? Did they only give me a 30 day extension BECAUSE my wife wasn't with me?

Ext10002.jpg

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

So Ubon J........You can tell me that i can get a visa exempt (30 days) + extension 30 days + 60 days to visit your wife?.......are you sure about this.Can i get both extensions (30 + 60)? ( I am married)

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

However, I was granted a 30 day extension to a 90 day entry on a Multi O on 3 October 2018 by Korat Immigration.  I was later told that my wife should have been with me (she wasn't).  Could this be the reason? Did they only give me a 30 day extension BECAUSE my wife wasn't with me?

There is not 30 day extension for a entry non-o visa. Apparently they made a mistake when they gave you the 30 day extension under the rule for extensions of a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Clause 2.4 of the immigration order is for those extensions. Your stamps show that your 30 days was based upon that.

image.png.46674ebbc06fe3ee2229f7b8e2e10f74.png

Clause 2.24 of the immigration order is for the 60 day extension to visit you wife and they require your wife to be with you when applying to meet number 2 in the clause.

image.png.78b06e6b4751c527d49d4d661d5c4215.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

So Ubon J........You can tell me that i can get a visa exempt (30 days) + extension 30 days + 60 days to visit your wife?.......are you sure about this.Can i get both extensions (30 + 60)? ( I am married)

Yes.

You can obtain a 30 day extension to your visa exempt entry.

You can also obtain 60 days to visit wife extension

2 hours ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

Yes you can. You can get the 30 day allowed for a visa exempt entry and the 60 day extension allowed if married to a Thai.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can. You can get the 30 day allowed for a visa exempt entry and the 60 day extension allowed if married to a Thai.

UJ, if you please, is the 90 day Non-O visa (marriage) I obtained in the US online (per your advice) extendable or do I have to get a whole new visa and go through the process? thank you, Bamboozled.

2 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

UJ, if you please, is the 90 day Non-O visa (marriage) I obtained in the US online (per your advice) extendable or do I have to get a whole new visa and go through the process? thank you, Bamboozled.

Non O extension is 12 months.

You could obtain 60 day extension to visit Thai wife. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

You can apply for a one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from your non-o visa.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from your non-o visa.

You can also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Yes, I guess that's what I should have said./asked: one year extension based on marriage. More to the point, I will have to go through all the paperwork: bank statements, photos, witness, etc...? Thank you.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently they made a mistake when they gave you the 30 day extension under the rule for extensions of a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Its a while ago and I can't really remember but I've often had language problems there. I do remember that I only actually needed to stay for another week so I wouldn't have argued with the 1 month granted.