Smoke.. I know it’s impossible to predict but historically when does it die down.

mikey88

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Sorry pal but you've got that wrong, they not are average dates, The equinox is a worldwide phenomenon that occurs on the day that that sun crosses the equator (as seen from Earth) on the afore mentioned dates.

On those two days, the whole world, with (the exception of the polar regions) will experience 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of nighttime. It doesn't matter whether you live in Oslo, Kampala or Hobart. 

Moonlover I eat my hat. Equal day night on the graph below of BKK shows 11th/12 March?? I'm surprised about that not being closer to the 20th. Anyway I am way out. Have learnt something today!! If you play around with  location to say Melbourne 20th March and compare with BKK there is a difference in day length albeit 6 min so I do not agree with the whole world experiencing 12 hours of daylight on the day of the equinox (excluding the poles as you correctly mention). Apologies to OP for stealing this thread ????

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/thailand/bangkok?month=3&year=2022

Daylight hours BKK.png

44 minutes ago, Thaifish said:

Moonlover I eat my hat. Equal day night on the graph below of BKK shows 11th/12 March?? I'm surprised about that not being closer to the 20th. Anyway I am way out. Have learnt something today!! If you play around with  location to say Melbourne 20th March and compare with BKK there is a difference in day length albeit 6 min so I do not agree with the whole world experiencing 12 hours of daylight on the day of the equinox (excluding the poles as you correctly mention). Apologies to OP for stealing this thread ????

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/thailand/bangkok?month=3&year=2022

Daylight hours BKK.png

The Earth is not a perfect sphere and its speed of rotation does have some minor wibble wobbles, so 12/12 ratio does come with caveats, none of which we knew about before the age of satellites and atomic clocks. ????

Anyway, back to the weather. I don't think you did steal the thread because come the longer days in the northern hemisphere the northern Pacific gets warmer hence more moisture in the atmosphere. That along with many other factors must contribute to beginning of the wet season. Which we all know should dampen down the smoke. So you may well have been on the right track.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1