Non-O vs Non-OA

What is the difference these days? I've been on Non-O forever but my friend says he will need Non-OA after he comes to Thailand on a tourist visa and gets converted for annual extensions. He wiil be going thru an agent for this. 

• Confused 1

A non 0-A can only be obtained overseas from an embassy or consulate, he means a non o based on retirement which he can get converting from a tourist visa assuming he meets the criteria

Edited by howerde

He will be going thru an agent who says he needs NON-OA.  I am wondering if the rules have changed for that and if anyone knows for sure?

Again, he will be arriving on tourist visa. I assume the agent knows what he's doing. Just wanted to ask. 

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Confused 1

Theres something wrong here, the agent is in Thailand?

Surely the O-A is complete non-starter if the agent is in Thailand.

Thai Agents usually (now) advise those on O-A extensions to let it expire and exit and come back either on a tourist or O, so they can then get on the O/O ext of stay .

If he does get an O-A in his home country then he will need a) insurance (3M I think) b) police certificate c) proof of funds d) and a non syphilis/elephantisis/TB doctors certificate to my memory.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Again, he will be arriving on tourist visa. I assume the agent knows what he's doing.

The agent doesn't know what he is doing or there is a misunderstanding.

He can obtain a non O retirement after he enters with his tourist visa.

The agents will also obtain a 12 month extension.

Non O-A has nothing to do with any of this. 

If your friend needs to exit and re-enter Thailand he can obtain reentry permit..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

O-A Non imm Visa can on;y be obtained at an Embassy where you live.

It cannot be obtained in Thailand.

"Where you live" ? 

It can only be obtained in your own country or country where you have permanent resident status. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I understand what your saying.

I wouldn't recommend that if that's the only reason to exit Thailand and kill off the non O-A.

Better would be to obtain one more extension and wait it out till land border entries possible and not onerous. 

I am weighing that balance as I approach my O-A renewal extension date in May.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

I am weighing that balance as I approach my O-A renewal extension date in May.

Go with what you feel is best for you.

My thinking is that if you pay for one more insurance policy then at some point you (hopefully) can do a quick exit border bounce without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt. 

You could have all the financials in place and the non O + extension is simple process using money in bank method.

How much does the insurance cost. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Go with what you feel is best for you.

My thinking is that if you pay for one more insurance policy then at some point you (hopefully) can do a quick exit border bounce without reentry permit and reenter visa exempt. 

You could have all the financials in place and the non O + extension is simple process using money in bank method.

How much does the insurance cost. 

11,400 baht (of course will not cover my "pre-existing" heart issues and has a 200K deductible ... so basically a tax to stay).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

11,400 baht (of course will not cover my "pre-existing" heart issues and has a 200K deductible ... so basically a tax to stay).

True. Useless policy and hence why everyone is jumping ship.

As I understand it Phuket does not insist upon the insurance. 

I did not realize the cost is 11,400 baht.

That is not an insignificant sum.

However nor is an exit and reentry.

Not to mention your time.

Me thinks by May a land border will be open so just keep eye on situation and make your call.

As your aware for a new non O you do not need to show the funds came from abroad. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Yes.

Either you or your friend are misunderstanding. Either way both of you are wrong. OA can only be obtained in your own country. If entering on a Tourist Visa, the agent can arrange for change of visa status to a Non O (not OA), after that arrange for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I did not realize the cost is 11,400 baht.

That is not an insignificant sum.

However nor is an exit and reentry.

Not to mention your time.

Me thinks by May a land border will be open so just keep eye on situation and make your call.

As your aware for a new non O you do not need to show the funds came from abroad. 

The cheapest OA mandatory insurance is LMG with a 200k deductible, starting at 6000 baht but then rising to 11,400 baht with age, until Sept 2022 when , with the 3million baht coverage it rises to probably 4 x that !

Next extension is end of Sept so my 7,700 baht insurance rip off will become around 30,000 baht !.

A U.K. trip is on the cards but playing the waiting game right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Next extension is end of Sept so my 7,700 baht insurance rip off will become around 30,000 baht

By Sept a land border will be open.

Just do a border bounce without reentry permit and from your visa exempt entry obtain a non O retirement at immigration followed be extension.

No insurance. Happy days. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jimn said:

Either you or your friend are misunderstanding.

My friend told me his understanding of what the agent told him was necessary after entering on a tourist visa.  My friend didn't want to buy the extended insurance the OA requires and I couldn't understand why the agent would want to do the OA after he arrives.  Thus my OP.  I also know the "rules" seem to change a lot.  My friend will question the agent when he arrives next month.

Thank you all for the input.

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

By Sept a land border will be open.

Just do a border bounce without reentry permit and from your visa exempt entry obtain a non O retirement at immigration followed be extension.

No insurance. Happy days. 

Yup that’s an option I’m contemplating ,did a border run for the 2nd year of my OA to Myanmar, was super easy .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

My friend told me his understanding of what the agent told him was necessary after entering on a tourist visa.  My friend didn't want to buy the extended insurance the OA requires and I couldn't understand why the agent would want to do the OA after he arrives.  Thus my OP.  I also know the "rules" seem to change a lot.  My friend will question the agent when he arrives next month.

I'd suggest there may be an ulterior motive for the agent to be guiding your friend down this path.

When I got my retirement visa in Thailand, it was non-O after a tourist visa. Facilitated by an agent.

I can't see why the rules would change, PM ubon joe for a definitive answer.

If the agent sticks to their guns, perhaps it is time to change agents.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd suggest there may be an ulterior motive for the agent to be guiding your friend down this path

The point is it's not a path that exists as myself and others have pointed out and confirmed by TVC post above.

Either the OP or agent or both are confused. 

I asked for agents name. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I am sure the agent means a Non O after he arrives. He can not get a Non OA impossible.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The point is it's not a path that exists as myself and others have pointed out and confirmed by TVC post above.

Either the OP or agent or both are confused. 

I asked for agents name. 

I don't know the agents name.  And, I don't know why you continue to say that I am confused when I am just reporting what I was told.  My OP was due to the fact that rules seem to be changing daily and I was trying to get things straight for my friend.

OK, my friend finally confessed that he misunderstood his agent.  He was still arguing about the OA even after I showed him several posts to the contrary.  Oh, he's a Brit so that might explain.  ????

• Like 1

But now, my friend is back to consternation what to do again.  He was planning on doing the 60 day tourist until he found the requirements overwhelming.  (source of income, where staying, insurance, etc.)  Now, thinking the 30 day exempt.  Both needing a return ticket (England).  For those who have used OA to enter for retirement, is the cost of insurance less than the cost of return ticket?  Is it "easy" to convert to Non-O for annual extensions? 

Edited by bankruatsteve