Police Check For Uk Sett Visa?

Not a new question and I have done a search!

Thanks to this forum we know where to go, (Royal Thai Police Headquarters Rama I Road, Bangkok), but the Missus does not think she can just turn up with her ID card (no passport yet), fill out a form with 3 photos and obtain the police check by mail (2 weeks?) later..............she thinks she needs a letter from the British Embassy to give to the Thai Police as a reason for her wanting the police check done.

Me on the other hand thinks she does not need a letter from the UK embassy and that she is just entitled to check her OWN police record (about 19 "events" - but some may have been forgiven or recorded as some sort of "Medical events".........I reckon the less the better, so I / we are wanting to check what is on file well before we get near any actual visa application

I am probably wrong............again :o:D

Not a new question and I have done a search!

Thanks to this forum we know where to go, (Royal Thai Police Headquarters Rama I Road, Bangkok), but the Missus does not think she can just turn up with her ID card (no passport yet), fill out a form with 3 photos and obtain the police check by mail (2 weeks?) later..............she thinks she needs a letter from the British Embassy to give to the Thai Police as a reason for her wanting the police check done.

Me on the other hand thinks she does not need a letter from the UK embassy and that she is just entitled to check her OWN police record (about 19 "events" - but some may have been forgiven or recorded as some sort of "Medical events".........I reckon the less the better, so I / we are wanting to check what is on file well before we get near any actual visa application

I am probably wrong............again :o:D

I did it with my Thai bf a couple weeks ago for immigration to Canada. They asked us why we wanted the clearances, but they didn't want to see any letter from an embassy.

You also don't need to bring photos. They'll take your digital photos there for free in about 10 seconds.

Here's the phone number: 02-205-2168-9 Have your GF give them a call to make sure she knows which Thai documents she has to bring. I know for sure they want to see the original of her house registration.

EW

Edited by expatwannabe

The application will be referred by the embassy in Bangkok to the Jersey authorities which operate distinctly from those in the UK, and it will be their call whether your missus gets the settlement visa. There is no UK requirement for a police clearance certificate, but perhaps you can check with the Jersey immigration service whether one is specifically needed for there.

Scouse.

Hey Jersey, did you need one , out of interest.

I know there are are certain differing rules between the UK and Jersey as stated by yourself in previous posts, so did you need one?

Moss

Jersey immigrations rules are stricter than those of the UK. An immigration officer has the right under directions made by the Lieutenant-Governor to refuse entry to anyone with a criminal record. Intending immigrants are therefore required by the UK ECO acting on behalf of the Bailiwick to obtain a criminal record check although I understand minor offences would be disregarded. This is not enforced for visits less than 6 months.

ECOs may also request a medical certifcate. Jersey rely on the ECO discretion in this matter. In any event a person intending to stay more than 6 months must see a Doctor before clearing Jersey immigration.

Edited to give HMQ representative his correct title

Edited by Koratcat1

GROUNDS FOR REFUSAL OF ENTRY CLEARANCE OR LEAVE TO ENTER JERSEY INCLUDES:

(18) save where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that admission would be justified for strong

compassionate reasons, conviction in any country including the Bailiwick of Jersey of an offence

which, if committed in the Bailiwick of Jersey, is punishable with imprisonment for a term of 12

months or any greater punishment or, if committed outside the Bailiwick of Jersey, would be so

punishable if the conduct constituting the offence had occurred in the Bailiwick of Jersey;

Hence the requirement for a criminal record check.

Although an application for other than a very short visit is referred to Jersey it would normally be accompanied by a recommendation by the UK ECO. Unlike UK there is no right of appeal.

GROUNDS FOR REFUSAL OF ENTRY CLEARANCE OR LEAVE TO ENTER JERSEY INCLUDES:

(18) save where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that admission would be justified for strong

compassionate reasons, conviction in any country including the Bailiwick of Jersey of an offence

which, if committed in the Bailiwick of Jersey, is punishable with imprisonment for a term of 12

months or any greater punishment or, if committed outside the Bailiwick of Jersey, would be so

punishable if the conduct constituting the offence had occurred in the Bailiwick of Jersey;

Hence the requirement for a criminal record check.

Although an application for other than a very short visit is referred to Jersey it would normally be accompanied by a recommendation by the UK ECO. Unlike UK there is no right of appeal.

But the same provision exists under UK Immigration Rules, Para 320:

(18) save where the Immigration Officer is satisfied that admission would be justified for strong compassionate reasons, conviction in any country including the United Kingdom of an offence which, if committed in the United Kingdom, is punishable with imprisonment for a term of 12 months or any greater punishment or, if committed outside the United Kingdom, would be so punishable if the conduct constituting the offence had occurred in the United Kingdom;

So surely the requirement or otherwise for a Police check is likely to be the same, whether Jersey or UK mainland?

The most straightforward means of seeking a definitive answer is to get it from the horse's mouth. I have spoken to Jersey immigration who state that a criminal record check is not required as part of the application process.

Of course, this does not prevent an IO refusing entry under the provisions of para 320 of the Immigration Rules should it come to his attention that the individual does have a criminal record. However, if this were to happen, other factors come in to play such as the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act as it applies in Jersey.

Scouse.

Of course, this does not prevent an IO refusing entry under the provisions of para 320 of the Immigration Rules should it come to his attention that the individual does have a criminal record.

Indeed. There's also the question on the VAF which asks whether you have a criminal record. If you have one and don't declare it, there's always the risk that if it subsequently comes to light, you could be prosecuted for seeking/obtaining Leave to Enter by deception and/or served with a notice of illegal entry and maybe removed from the UK. It's only a small risk, but probably not worth taking if the offence was relatively minor or could be regarded as a spent conviction.

So there it is then- you don't need a police check, and if you're an axe murderer or a terrorist, best not to declare it on your application. :o

The most straightforward means of seeking a definitive answer is to get it from the horse's mouth. I have spoken to Jersey immigration who state that a criminal record check is not required as part of the application process.

Of course, this does not prevent an IO refusing entry under the provisions of para 320 of the Immigration Rules should it come to his attention that the individual does have a criminal record. However, if this were to happen, other factors come in to play such as the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act as it applies in Jersey.

Scouse.

It may not be "required" but it is being asked for. I can only suggest it is not being required for all nationals and a denial is better than being faced with accusations of racism. As a lawyer you'd know all about covering your back.

You may be aware that last year the issue of Thai women overstaying their visas and working illegally in restaurants was raised in the Jersey legislature -and no I'm not making this up - they tend to stand out in such a small place. This caused Jersey to tighten it's policy toward Thais generally.

As regards the law being the same in UK (as raised by another poster)-yes, I never said it wasn't -in fact Jersey legislation is cross referenced with UK legislation. Difference is UK immigration law is not as strictly enforced in this respect. Jersey is a small island and the influx of foreigners is more of an issue.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act is not relevant -when you read it you'll agree.

Having spoken to Jersey immigration, I have no reason to not believe what the IO told me which is that NO criminal record check is required in respect of any nationality.

Jersey now does have a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act if you care to check.

How much more misleading nonsense are you going to peddle?

Scouse.

Having spoken to Jersey immigration, I have no reason to not believe what the IO told me which is that NO criminal record check is required in respect of any nationality.

Jersey now does have a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act if you care to check.

How much more misleading nonsense are you going to peddle?

Scouse.

Scouser,

Where did I say Jersey did not have a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. It most certainly does. I even recommended you read it. What I said was it is not relevant (to this issues raised in this thread).

As regards your last question? Give me one instance of something I have stated that you know to be incorrect.

We must await the OP confirming that a Criminal Record check was requested.

As regards your first two sentences. I could say I have checked with Jersey states. I don't because I don't need to and saying something does not make it true.

It is suggested I am deliberately having a go at you. Yes. You invariably provide good advice and informed comment. But increasingly you tend toward condecension and arrogance when challenged or contradicted.

You do not accept you can be wrong as you have proved in this thread.

Check your facts or butt out because people posting here rely on you.

The strange thing about this thread is that nowhere does the OP (who seems to have disappeared) say that he wants to take his wife to Jersey.

It's an assumption so I wonder how the arguement would have gone had he used the moniker "Heller" and had a fire as his avatar. In that case, would Scouse have struggled to get information 'from the horses mouth'?

Having been blessed with a memory of a geriatric chang I can well understand JerseyUK's OP and its significance but others not witting have pursued the red herring of a supposed de facto requirement to produce evidence of good character by the Jersey authorities.

Of course, there is no such requirement but in asserting otherwise the argumentative KitKat seems to be flying colours possibly nailed by other posters, alas no longer with us.

Which one is he? I 'm a bit slow today but in truth there have been so many eccentrics booted out one is somewhat spoiled for choice.

Anyway, to the OP, bon chance mon vieux.

Having been blessed with a memory of a geriatric chang I can well understand JerseyUK's OP and its significance but others not witting have pursued the red herring of a supposed de facto requirement to produce evidence of good character by the Jersey authorities.

Of course, there is no such requirement but in asserting otherwise the argumentative KitKat seems to be flying colours possibly nailed by other posters, alas no longer with us.

Which one is he? I 'm a bit slow today but in truth there have been so many eccentrics booted out one is somewhat spoiled for choice.

Well old chap. I think it reasonable to assume OP is from Jersey. If not it made for an informative thread.

Rest of your post I run through Babelfish but nothing intelligible came out. I even tried English.

Well old chap. I think it reasonable to assume OP is from Jersey. If not it made for an informative thread.

Rest of your post I run through Babelfish but nothing intelligible came out. I even tried English.

My dear chap, I do apologise. Next time I'll try and dumb it down a bit for you although I can't promise too much.

By the way, are you getting medical assistance now or is it still the same old self medication?

Toodle pip!

Well lets see if I can decipher for you KitKat.

I can well understand JerseyUK's OP and its significance but others not witting have pursued the red herring of a supposed de facto requirement to produce evidence of good character by the Jersey authorities.

I think he understands it but is of the impression, you are finding parts of it a little hard to grasp.

He has a feeling that you might be masquerading under a moniker that has had his posting rights suspended, i.e banned.

You could be one of several, but I know my guess.

I am not sure of my Latin, :D but I think he is saying Good Luck my Love :o Although I have a feeling it means something altogether different.

Hope this helps, Moniker.

Moss

I am not sure of my Latin, :D but I think he is saying Good Luck my Love :o Although I have a feeling it means something altogether different.

I think the gent is trying to say, "Good luck me ol' mate" in French, except "chance" is feminine, so he's spelt it wrongly - it should be "bonne" rather than "bon". :D

Scouse.

I think the gent is trying to say, "Good luck me ol' mate" in French, except "chance" is feminine, so he's spelt it wrongly - it should be "bonne" rather than "bon". :D

Scouse.

You mean it is not Latin :o

I saw that, too, but chose to pardon his French :D

--

Maestro

:D

I originate from Jersey so was made aware of this and related topics. I thought rather than bore my friends with opinions I could bore a larger audience by posting here.

Firstly I wish JerseyUK and his wife success. He is an honorable and decent man, that is quite obvious.

His wife intends to obtain a settlement visa for Jersey. He has his own reasons for requiring her to obtain a criminal record check. He appears intent on requiring her to declare her criminal convictions. This is all made clear in another thread.

By previously posting here too effusively I fear he has boxed his wife into a corner. I doubt very much that this forum has escaped the attention of the embassy staff (and from what I have been told they have been subjected to some unpleasant comments). There cannot be that many applications for Jersey settlement visas. It would now be unwise not obtain the record check or declare any unspent convictions whereas my advice would have been to answer no to question 7.17 on the application form.

I assume only unspent convictions, as defined by the Jersey Rehabilitation of Offenders Act need be declared when applying for settlement. The Act specifically includes convictions outside the Island. However if declared, or the embassy or immigration is made aware, the Act must be taken into consideration and spent convictions must be disregarded. This is in instructions to UK entry clearance staff (who act for Jersey) and UK immigration officers, so I assume they also apply to Jersey local immigration with whom OP has already made contact.

Oooops...........I did not mean to start a "discussion" :o

I am never online much when in Thailand, otherwise I would have jumped in earlier........but am now back home...........in Jersey.

Although some folk have memories like elephants (or have done a search?!), for info of the mortals amongst us :D a bit more info.

When I originally came onto this site Xmas 2005? I did raise the question of her past and I recieved lots of advice (I recall especially from the Gent and Scouse amongst others).....which basically confirmed my natural inclination to declare her past and just see what happens (I am well aware of the idiosyncracies of life on the edge of the British Empire :D - which has it's plusses as well as it's minuses) - and whilst Jersey is no. 1 destination of choice for us - as it's my home and more importantly my source of income (and for me Thailand is just not practical and plus she has little by the way of meaningful family ties as well as limited prospects), but if push comes to shove it may well be that we have to relocate somewhere a bit more visa friendly for her.......whilst I would not at this time choose to relocate I am someone who tends to follow the maxim "as one door closes another opens"..........

A fair question at this point would be..........why have I / we not actually made any SV application to date??!!.........well, we have known each other going back around 8 years, so it never feels like we need to rush into things and in any event it is only since around spring 2005 that things "developed" between us into something more serious - the major changes being yours truly no longer wanting to be glued to a bar in Thailand 24/7 and her having got her sh#t together............however as they say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" and after around 3 years or so in Thailand spread over 12 years I was quite happy to also wait and see that she kept outta "trouble" as well as planning our future.........plus last year I set up my own (very small) business which as well as complicating my paperwork meant that I had to actually work a lot for my money :D .............but the upshot being that last month we finally got married. The "Missus" is now legally "The Missus" :bah: Cost around £300 all in (Ceremony, Rings, photos and a "bit of a do")........yeah, I am a "Jerseyman" :bah: .........The latest plan is to finally do an SV application end of September when my finances are straight as well as having some suitable accomadation sorted.

Do I need a police check??.......actually I do not know for sure :D ........but whilst I do trust her implicitally (and hey, who the f#ck lies about 19 "events"?!!) from what she has said it may well be that some of her past has been "forgiven" in Thailand and that particularly under the Thaksin regime a couple of events may have been classed as medical rather than criminal...........I do appreciate that getting the Police Check that may show only single figure events will not change anything fundamentally for an SV application, but it is more a case of that it simply gives dates and durations as facts rather than relying on memory...........plus I figure having it to hand for Jersey would just be useful.

A good point was raised about me having posted way too much info here given that Thai SV applications to Jersey are not exactly numerous............I have considered this a number of times over the years (and was even tempted to login as "Guernsey_UK"!!), but to be honest I figure "we are what we are" and if Jersey / the UK don't like that, then so be it - our future just heads in a different direction..........C'est la vie.

In any event this week I will be wandering down to Jersey immigration to say hello and to check on a couple of things relating to accomadation and income etc and whether or not our SV is successful I will post a full account for the benefit of others.

Once more a somewhat longer than neccesary post...................... :o

Edited by Jersey_UK

I am not sure of my Latin, :D but I think he is saying Good Luck my Love :D Although I have a feeling it means something altogether different.

Scouse.

One knew that, it was simply a typo..... :o

"Good luck me ol' mate" in French...

Talking about French – which brings us off-topic here but seeing that this topic seems to have drawn to a conclusion, to everybody’s satisfaction, I guess it can’t do much harm – do you know the classical closing phrase of a French business letter, where the British write “Yours faithfully” and the Americans “Yours truly”?

The French write: “Nous vous prions d’agréer, Messieurs, l’expression de nos sentiments les plus distingués”.

Translation: “We beg you to accept, dear Sirs, the expression of our most distinguished sentiments”.

That’s why they are called French letters. :o “I beg you to accept, dear Lady, the expression of my most distinguished sentiments.”

(Link provided for non-Brits)

--

Maestro

That’s why they are called French letters. :D “I beg you to accept, dear Lady, the expression of my most distinguished sentiments.”

(Link provided for non-Brits)

--

Maestro

:D

I still maintain that if they will not buy our Lamb we will not buy their letters, I wonder who will pay for it most in the long run :o

Moss