PayPal in Thailand: Company U-turn means users can continue to fully use accounts from Monday

webfact

This news is sure to please the lady bar owners so that punters can continue to "ring the bell" and buy the girls drinks from 1000s of miles away.

I closed my Thai PayPal account a few weeks ago in anticipation of transactions being blocked. Seems I was too hasty but really only ever used it to pay for Spotify in recent years. It was mainly used in the past for accepting rental payments for my condo but as it hasn't been rented for over seven years it's likely no loss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ardsong said:

can you mention some alternatives? mainly for internet payments alternative.

Sorry, wasn't clear. Back in the day Ebay was the only site worth shopping with IMHO, now I use Lazada and Shoppe.

That said, I use my credit card for most transactions now.

• Haha 1

I also closed 5 accounts and drained the accounts a few days ago.

Wise is a good online banking app, but PayPal was useful for buying stuff on Ebay and paying recurring online bills. It was simple to use. For what I used it for, it worked well. 

PayPal foreign currency rates were terrible, fees were expensive and they could be slow to transfer...and yes, I got locked up more than once. I had a dedicated PayPal manager who was helpful to degree, but they are behind the times and better services will emerge...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Wechat or Alipay using a Stripe account.  I use this every month to get paid by my students in China.  

OMG!  I tried setting up Stripe and as soon as I saw it ask for business details, I quit.  After reading your reply I see that you can set up a personal account.  I don't see TH listed as an option, so I am using my US address and setting up a virtual phone number via openphone.  Once the phone is approved (they are verifying my bank details), I should be good to go with stripe.  Then I will figure out how to add Wechat Pay and AliPay.  Kudos, man.  If this works out, you are a real life-saver.  Thanks a million!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1