Dog eats its poo.

Every so often our thai dog (female) eats its poo. It's not regular, as in every day.  Usually she poos and heads back to her own area and we scoop the poop and bin it. If we take our eyes off her when she has 'done' just now and then she'll scoop it first.

Anyone know why she does this and is there any change we can make to her diet or, and it would be last resort, any meds that can make her poo un-tasty? for her.

Her diet is normally dried dog food, plenty of fresh water and cooked meat now and then.

36 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Then people let these filthy animals lick them and even get on their beds, disgusting.

And people blow loads of germ laden snot into a hankie and then stick it in their pocket to carry it around with them all day.

Me, I usually go to the loo, use tissue to blow my nose and then flush it.

• Like 2

Keep her on a lead when you take her out, then pull her away once she's finished her business.   Could be she's not getting enough food or maybe try her with a different diet.

On a lighter note, a sign seen at a beach side ladies clothing shop.

28424116_10215972598614218_775895647054247080_o.jpg

• Haha 1

Elephants eat their own poo cuz there's beneficial bacteria in it. People drink coffee from beans that are fed to elephants, then the elephant passes and some lucky barista sifts through and (I hope!) cleans them beans thoroughly to make the sh!t (see what I did there?).

15 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Keep her on a lead when you take her out, then pull her away once she's finished her business.   Could be she's not getting enough food or maybe try her with a different diet.

On a lighter note, a sign seen at a beach side ladies clothing shop.

28424116_10215972598614218_775895647054247080_o.jpg

???? (Nice sign)

We do change food brand quite often. She is now about 12/13 years old and isn't the energetic dog she was. Sleep/eat seems to be her lifestyle now.

Neighbour suggested adding some pineapple to her food, seems the result is that the 'processed' pineapple smell puts dogs off eating the result.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Generally people post questions on here because they can get an answer from someone who has had experience of the problem and that experience is most likely Thailand related. Google is fine if you want an answer that is USA based.

Then I guess I'll have to check my dog's passport and get back to you....555

Dogs are dogs no matter their "nationality". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Elephants eat their own poo cuz there's beneficial bacteria in it. People drink coffee from beans that are fed to elephants, then the elephant passes and some lucky barista sifts through and (I hope!) cleans them beans thoroughly to make the sh!t (see what I did there?).

only very young ellies eat poo, for their gut bacteria.

Ellies poo doesn't smell, doesn't have that many bacteria. But because it's digested only in 40% can still be nutritious for babies and for many other animals

• Like 1

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

Google is fine if you want an answer that is USA based.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

You must be from usa. 

It's a dog eating <deleted> thread, you really want to turn this into "Only Thai dogs eat "poop" thread and want to pretend no other dogs in the world had this situation, it's only limited to Thailand?  In your mind you think google is only for the USA?....555.

Edited by bbko

14 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Then people let these filthy animals lick them and even get on their beds, disgusting.

a filthy person to go with his filthy mouth.are you a talking PIG by any chance

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meatboy said:

a filthy person to go with his filthy mouth.are you a talking PIG by any chance

Pot kettle black, another doggie lover rattled just because not everyone likes these filthy, pathetic creatures

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Pot kettle black, another doggie lover rattled just because not everyone likes these filthy, pathetic creatures

OH it must be awfull havin to go through life havin never been LOVED.

I wish our dogs would eat their poo instead of hiding it all over my grass,???? .

Which reminds me, got to go pick up their poop and flick it over the fence to the neighboring property. 

17 hours ago, overherebc said:

And people blow loads of germ laden snot into a hankie and then stick it in their pocket to carry it around with them all day.

Me, I usually go to the loo, use tissue to blow my nose and then flush it.

Handkerchiefs are the single most disgusting item ever invented by mankind......people who still use them should be shot (not really)

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Handkerchiefs are the single most disgusting item ever invented by mankind......people who still use them should be shot (not really)

When it was the fashion to stick snuff up your nose (nowadays cocaine has taken over it seems) the gentry carried brown silk hankies. You can picture why if you imagine a white hankie being used if you've stuck a load of brown powder up your nostrils.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bbko said:

It's a dog eating <deleted> thread, you really want to turn this into "Only Thai dogs eat "poop" thread and want to pretend no other dogs in the world had this situation, it's only limited to Thailand?  In your mind you think google is only for the USA?....555.

Well, generally if you google something you get directed to answers on usa websites.

Asean now, formerly Thai Visa is much more Thai oriented so you are more likely to get answers from people who are here long term and have 'Thai related' experience or knowledge especially whe it comes to Thai local dogs. You think all dogs are the same, they're not.

That dog needs bacteria to digest his food, you may give him dog food, dry dead food...., raw meat does have this as food. Try to find the green, unexpurgated cow's stomach in a slaughterhouse to give it in between, the necessary digestive substances are there, not in the dog food that we provide so easily. A dog is a natural animal , changed by us humans as a toy pet 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

That dog needs bacteria to digest his food, you may give him dog food, dry dead food...., raw meat does have this as food. Try to find the green, unexpurgated cow's stomach in a slaughterhouse to give it in between, the necessary digestive substances are there, not in the dog food that we provide so easily. A dog is a natural animal , changed by us humans as a toy pet 

Interesting post. I'll try to find that.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, david555 said:

She stopped doing it after a couple of weeks. So really none the wiser why she started in the first place.

Edited by overherebc