NBTC Warns Against Misleading Cosmetic Surgery Ads

webfact

nbtc.jpg

Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has warned against misleading advertisements for cosmetic surgery, stressing that such ads are punishable by law.

The warning came following the airing of a television commercial for a beauty clinic. The ad claimed that the clinic’s surgical procedures could change one’s fortune, attract wealth and improve quality of life. According to the NBTC, such claims are in violation of the 1982 Medical Profession Act on the control of the medical practices.

The commission also said that the advertisement aired without approval from the Department of Health Service Support. Officials have since contacted the operator of the TV channel to halt the broadcast of the advertisement in question.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The Medical Council of Thailand underlined that medical practitioners are not permitted to make ads that benefit themselves, other individuals or businesses. They are, however, entitled to promote their academic work, public health and medical advancements.

The council reiterated that practitioners involved in misleading ads can face license revocation if prosecuted.

Clinic or hospital operators responsible for misleading or exaggerated ads may also face fines of up to 20,000 baht, daily fines and imprisonment, according to the Department of Health Service Support.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-09

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

Well, cosmetic surgery it is then. For the time being everyone wants to turn Korean - for whatever reason and the so-called medical experts must have had a field day until Covid 19 hit back. 

I for one would love to see the expansion of the trade into brain surgery by implanting common sense, social values, balanced character beyond materialism, more honesty and less racism...... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

But I wanted to believe that the butt tuck and chin tuck would make me more handsome so the girls would pay me to be in my superstar company and be in my posse.

That or a platinum Visa card.......

13 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, cosmetic surgery it is then. For the time being everyone wants to turn Korean - for whatever reason and the so-called medical experts must have had a field day until Covid 19 hit back. 

I for one would love to see the expansion of the trade into brain surgery by implanting common sense, social values, balanced character beyond materialism, more honesty and less racism...... 

There is little doubt the last paragraph should be topics that are embedded in the education curriculum and taught to prospective parents before being allowed to procreate.

• Like 1