Thai bank fees?

37 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I get a monthly advise from UOB in the post of all the previous months transactions.

Exceptional.

I have three savings accounts (Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, SCB).

Similar for two other mates (Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank).

No statements.

Do you have to apply for? Cost?

In a country where many do not live on their registered addresses this makes some sense.

We get monthly postpaid bills from True and DTAC for two granddaughter who left since years.

Common pratice.

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:
47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I get a monthly advise from UOB in the post of all the previous months transactions.

Exceptional.

No, it is not "exceptional" for UOB, it's completely normal.  I didn't request the facility, neither do I pay for it.

14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...and no cheques and no overdraft facilities.   So, basically, completely different from a US checking account!

Cheques will be useless unless he owns a business and he doesn't, he's on an ED visa. Overdraft is bad thing in US checking accounts, and it took an act of congress to allow people to opt out, which most people do now. So actually most checking account in the US don't have overdraft anymore if you filled out the forms correctly.

Most importantly, American checking accounts allow an (almost?) unlimited number of deposits, withdrawals and transactions in a given month whereas savings accounts are restricted to some number. Which is the same as a Thai savings account. Which is what matters here for the OP.

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many Thais, particularly businesses do use cheques.

Well, good for you. I've never seen a cheque in Thailand. And fewer people in the US use them each year. Basically just grannies in the supermarket holding up the line, and foolish people who pay their bills by mail and risk their check getting lost.

• Sad 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

That is nonsense, in the OP's situation a current account is not applicable but cheques are used frequently in Thai (and other countries') businesses that choose to do so.

Relax. I was responding the the original poster's question about his need for a checking account - not about banking and financial needs for business accounts. 

The default bank account for most expats is the savings account and should serve well enough. 

I have a couple of personal checking accounts which I opened over thirty years ago. Back then, before the arrival of the internet and phone banking apps, they were useful for paying the landlord the monthly rent and for paying school fees and other larger amounts for which obtaining cash or going to a bank branch to effect a transfer was time-consuming or not practical. 

Times have changed and now there is little to recommend a checking account.

8 hours ago, DFPhuket said:
On 3/12/2022 at 11:21 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

That is nonsense, in the OP's situation a current account is not applicable but cheques are used frequently in Thai (and other countries') businesses that choose to do so.

Relax. I was responding the the original poster's question about his need for a checking account - not about banking and financial needs for business accounts. 

Relax, your entire comment was "Cheques aren't used at all"... that was incorrect, they are, frequently, and current accounts are not restricted to businesses.

20 hours ago, BudRight said:

American checking accounts allow an (almost?) unlimited number of deposits, withdrawals and transactions in a given month whereas savings accounts are restricted to some number. Which is the same as a Thai savings account.

"...savings accounts are restricted to some number. Which is the same as a Thai savings account".

More nonsense.  Savings accounts with Thai banks do not have any restrictions on the number of transactions.

38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...savings accounts are restricted to some number. Which is the same as a Thai savings account".

More nonsense.  Savings accounts with Thai banks do not have any restrictions on the number of transactions.

You misunderstand me. I mean that checking accounts in the United States and savings accounts in Thailand allow an unlimited number of transactions. Savings accounts in the United States however, have a limited number of transactions. So the OP should not confuse savings accounts in Thailand with savings accounts in the US. Instead, savings accounts in Thailand function more like checking accounts in the United States because both have an unlimited number of transactions.

I hope that was clear this time.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:55 PM, noodleslayer said:

Bangkok bank is the one I've been most interested in, can you elaborate what you mean... you asked them to cancel the account because they had a yearly fee?

I did not cancel the account.  Rather I had them rip up the debit card as I never use it but there is annual fee for the debit card.  I use Bangkok Bank mainly to receive USA Social Security and in the future perhaps other transfers.

• Like 1